Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SCU_HQ
Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 am

I cannot find a topic devoted to photo hosting, so... here's a new topic devoted to photo hosting.

QUESTION: where do you host photos that you post to discussion forums?

Since I'm starting the topic, I shall start the answers... and provide sample images.

I currently use three photo-hosting options.

The majority of the photos I post to forums are hosted on my own domain, for which I pay an annual fee. I think it works out to something like ten dollars (US) a month. Actually, the domain hosting service I use, powweb.com, is UK based, so some of you may be familiar with it.

I also upload photos to Flickr, and sometimes link to those photos for forum posts, particularly when I'm in a hurry to find a specific image and am too lazy to upload it to a folder on my domain account. Flickr has recently raised the annual fee for unlimited photo hosting to $50 USD per year, while capping the number of photos on free accounts at 1,000.

I have recently begun using a lesser-known photo-hosting service called 23hq.com. 23hq offers free and paid memberships. The only difference is a monthly limit on uploads with the free account. There is no advertising and no limit on the total number of photos hosted. The site is considerably more basic than Flickr, offering fewer "social interaction" options, but it appears to be a stable and reliable platform.

Here is a sample image as hosted on each of the three sites:

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions June2
Linked from my personal domain at powweb.com

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions 47988220742_1bc24f76b3_c
Linked from Flickr.com

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions 55519304_e90ebd763bf011068707881a4af8570e_large
Linked from 23HQ.com

What image hosting platforms do other users here at the forum use for photos?

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 7:59 am

Great topic David! and very informative too cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 am

Bumping this (awesome) topic because some members have had photo-hosting issues lately.

http://23hq.com/, guys. Seriously.

Or Flickr, if a little bit of social media interaction is of interest. A very little bit, these days.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 am

I've been using http://www.fototime.com/ for years after it was recommended by a friend. It isn't a free service, costs around $25/year for the base service and I've never come close to using my allotted bandwidth. Never had a bit of trouble, no pop-ups or ads. Can organise, rearrange or edit my albums as i like. Still have all the photos I have ever added.

No Shadenfreude on my part (I swear silent ) but i have to confess to a certain amount of relief that I never fell into the photobucket.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Sabotage
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 6:07 am

Never, ...repeat, NEVER use ImageShack! Thoroughly unreliable site.
Couldn't host a s--t fight in a cow-pasture!

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 3:43 am

When posting photos on this forum I just use the "Host a image" thats built right in to this forum...

3 icons to the left of the You Tube icon...

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions June210

Sabotage
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 5:23 am

inntruderr61 wrote:
3 icons to the left of the You Tube icon...
Pardon my ignorance, but can you please explain just exactly where that is?

I did find it odd that any site that expects to have photos would not automatically have image posting facilities just built in.
Other sites I write on certainly have their own. Are you saying that this one does too?
Further explanation please.

Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 5:49 am

THERE WAS A SAMPLE IMAGE HERE BUT I DELETED IT

Well... whatta ya know? I had no idea!

LeStryge, it is the first icon in the little tool box at the top of the comment box that has the YouTube icon in it. Fifth tool box from the left, first icon in the box.

Upload the photo from your device, then select the size to post. It's a little bit cumbersome, but it works, and no image hosting service required!

I had no idea! I have not belonged to a forum (other than LiveJournal years ago) that offered photo hosting functionality!

EDIT TO ADD: I'm having trouble figuring out the image size thing. I'm either getting a really huge image or a tiny image.

I think I'll stick with remote hosting for now, because it's what I'm accustomed to.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Sabotage
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:03 am

THANKS! I found it! DEFINITELY will give it a try and it will certainly save a lot of messing around linking it to off-site hosting.
As said before, sites like this all seem to be run using fairly common templates and most of them do have photo posting facilities.

P.s. Nice Madame Medium pic. too!

Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:33 am

LeStryge wrote:
THANKS! I found it! DEFINITELY will give it a try and it will certainly save a lot of messing around linking it to off-site hosting.

However... using this feature automatically signs you up for a photo hosting service called Servimg.com.

I do not want to be signed up for another photo-hosting service. I am now trying to delete my Servimg account. This requires waiting for and then responding to an email notification of request to cancel, which has yet to show up.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Sabotage
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:36 am

Yes, I discovered that too!
It happens IMMEDIATELY you hit that icon.
Then you get an email telling you that your account has been created.
Seems that photo-hosting is NOT part of this site after all.

Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:39 am

Well... we shoulda been a little more careful, I guess. Embarassed

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Sabotage
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:39 am

When things seem too good to be true....eh?

Last edited by LeStryge on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 am

Still waiting for the 'cancellation confirmation' email. Guess I'll have to check again in the morning... my time zone.

Sabotage
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 6:43 am

Look, I guess it would work, and I don't know what limitations are on the "free" hosting services it claims to provide.
In truth it surely couldn't be as FUBAR-ed as the one I'm using right now, ....AND paying for I might add!

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 3:47 am

Not sure what you guys are talking about??? I have used the Host a Image icon for years without signing up for anything... Or you guys talking about something else??? lol!

Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 3:54 am

inntruderr61 wrote:
Not sure what you guys are talking about??? I have used the Host a Image icon for years without signing up for anything... Or you guys talking about something else??? lol!

When we used the host-an-image button, we received emails that we had been automatically signed up to a photo hosting service called Servimg.

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:

When we used the host-an-image button, we received emails that we had been automatically signed up to a photo hosting service called Servimg.

Weird... lol!

I've been using it for years and never recieved a email... scratch

PostSubject: Re: PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions   PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PHOTO HOSTING: Tips and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1