Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ADVICE PLEASE!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
LeStryge

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am

Warning...post may contain heretical content for this board.

Okay, confession time.
At present I do not own any VAMs....at all!  affraid
(I know, ...I know!)  Rolling Eyes
However in the spirit of egalitarianism I am considering the purchase of perhaps just one to add to my collection.
(Hopefully I'm not setting out to start anything....he says without much conviction!  )

Now I do know and have seen that these things sell for a fairly huge price, but I was wondering if any aficionados here could maybe recommend a good example of VAM to look for, ...and also what to look out for.  scratch
I know about splitting, and re-stringing...but there seem to be further issues re. hands. What is with the dark discolouration for example. Do they go brittle?

So Original release? Re-releases ...and which one? There seem to be quite a lot. Dates would of course be helpful....are they dated on their backsides?
Keep in mind that I'm not buying this as an investment or for resale value, just a good all-round example of a VAM to display/have, typical of the genre, and not too astronomical in price.
Not worried about him being in a box or even original clothing, just the figure itself. Oh and I think I'll pass on the "eagle-eyed" blokes. (No offence intended to anyone at all!)
I see some VAMs here on eBay but am hesitant to buy due to the fact I'm not exactly any expert on the little bloke and don't want to get taken in by an unscrupulous seller.

Just a few quick pointers from those in the know is all I really need.

All advice will be very much appreciated.

Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 8:12 am

At the moment VAM prices are going through the roof, I suspect that this is due to the 50th coming out (Which on a personal level, I wouldn't touch at all. I find them, well lets just say, not quite right). Original vam, i.e. the PH or painted head are probably the most expensive as they were the first 1966, Originally they had a hard head, then the later ones had a soft head.The advantage to these of course is they have hard hards, so usually the hands are good.
Next up would be the fuzzy, which I suspect is the one your after. Hands here are the main issue, but these can be replaced with repro hands. The other problem with them is re stringing, as sometimes the elastic goes loose, but even this is no major problem. Again tho, this can be connected with either a re stringing kit, or by using 2 or 3mm bungee cord. I won't cover the EE's as you have said you have no interest. The other issue all fuzzy haired figures share is loss of flock, but again, this can be corrected by getting them re flocked.

As for the repros, the geypers are the best and closest to what they were, imo. The 64 type body or the muscle body are both great. I am sure Beatlefan could give you some great advice on these, as he has quite a few. The 40th action man weren't bad, but imo, they do tend to loss their flock? The 40th uniforms are very good too.

The other thing I have just thought about is Toltoys? The Australian version of Action Man, I have never owned one, but have heard good things about them.

However, as for price, its hard to say as they are varying in price now for a naked figure. At the moment, for a half decent one, prices seem to start from around £25.00 upwards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chip
Eagle Eyes
Chip

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 2:00 pm

If I was you I would go for a minty Eagle Eye figure , they are the better made out of the vintage figures , no elastic to dry out , and the hands to date last with no problems so won`t need replacing , there are some cracking Eagle Eye period unis out there , if I were to only own one for a collectors point of view  , I would be looking at something like the U.S Para . I will be most surprised if you can stop at one Smile

LeStryge
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
LeStryge

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks SO much Fellers!
This is exactly the sort of info I was after, and who better to get it from than actual collectors here on AMMO?
Are there fakes out there? I know there are hybrids, because so many of you make them yourselves.
Do the figures have dates stamped on them?
And yes, Chip, knowing my own obsession with collecting things once I get started, I too will be surprised if I "can stop at one"! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 pm

LeStryge wrote:
Thanks SO much Fellers!
This is exactly the sort of info I was after, and who better to get it from than actual collectors here on AMMO?
Are there fakes out there? I know there are hybrids, because so many of you make them yourselves.
Do the figures have dates stamped on them?
And yes, Chip, knowing my own obsession with collecting things once I get started, I too will be surprised if I "can stop at one"!   Laughing   Laughing   Laughing  

Yeah, ph and fuzzys are stamped 64 or 66 can't remember which at the mo, 64 being Joe, 66 action man. EE hybrids are the same, (ee head and 64 body) and EE's I think are stamped 78? I am sure if I'm wrong someone will put you right cheers .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gibri
Admin
gibri

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 12:12 am

Save yourself the trouble and just buy two to start with... Twisted Evil

Then you don't have to trouble yourself with "should I buy another?" and you can proceed to buy a few more. Very Happy

Also, there are a lot of collectors in Australia who would probably be glad to help you get set up and save you some on shipping.

And one last thing, if you have any questions about any ebay listings, I'm sure the chaps here would be more than happy to advise you.

cheers bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeStryge
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
LeStryge

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 am

Yes there are two up on Oz eBay right now that I am viewing with more than a passing interest...... cyclops cyclops cyclops

LeStryge
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
LeStryge

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 2:08 am

" ....comes with Geyperman hands."
Meaning the originals have been replaced ....yes?
Due to them having become brittle?

Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

LeStryge wrote:
" ....comes with Geyperman hands."
Meaning the originals have been replaced ....yes?
Due to them having become brittle?

Yeah, but dont be put off, the Geyper hands are fantastic bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeStryge
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
LeStryge

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 7:57 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
Okay, ...thought I might be getting a bit purist. Rolling Eyes

Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 am

LeStryge wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
Okay, ...thought I might be getting a bit purist.  Rolling Eyes

lol! All grippers will need to be replaced at some point. As Chip said, the EE hands are a lot more hard wearing, but even they give up over time, it just takes longer. So eventually they will have to be replaced. The Geyper hands are more like the Joe fung-fu grip style, rather than action man hands. However, in my experience, and this is only my opinion, the geypers are the best repro figures, and their replacement hands are made to a very high quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

ADVICE PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVICE PLEASE!   ADVICE PLEASE! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ADVICE PLEASE!
Page 1 of 1