Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Duke Out West!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
Action Pilot
LeStryge

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 6:19 am

So here's an update on my recently acquired "moving mouth talking" Duke's PROGRESS as he undergoes a metamorphosis into a cowboy.

He's by no means finished, ....don't like the holster I cobbled together but am yet to find a good one that doesn't come with those horrendous shipping charges.
(Think I'll have to look in China?)

Anyway, here's a postcard from DUKE out on the range!

Duke Out West! 6e42zK

Last edited by LeStryge on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 am

Great cowboy bash! love the setting too bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCU_HQ
SCRAMBLE PILOT
SCU_HQ

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 pm

What a fantastic pic! He has the Wild Bunch look down! (That's an impressive caliber of shells he's packing in that bandolier!)

Is that a miniature carbide lantern he's carrying? Cool!

I'm curious about the background and setting, because I honestly can't tell: did you assemble it with miniatures, is there a photo backdrop, is there digital layering... or is it a combination? The final effect is very "postcard-like!"

Fun stuff!

And the holster looks fine, at least for photographic purposes!

LeStryge
Action Pilot
LeStryge

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks everyone! Your positive comments much appreciated.

Yes, the calibre of those bullets is a little over the top, but I had 'em laying around and decided to use them to liven up the photo. OK we purists instantly see that they are too big, but when you're a kid you don't care about such things. Can I just say my inner child took over?  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed

And yes it is a little miniature 1/6 scale carbide lantern! Well spotted!
Couldn't believe it when I found it in a charity shop! It's brass too I think. May have to do a darkish mine scene at some time in the future to get more use out of it.

As to the make up of the shot, the entire foreground is actual, using miniatures, rocks and foliage.
For a photographic shot, I think the trick is to have a miniature something in your front set up that is also represented in the photo background. It this case it's those saguaros and to a lesser extent the rocks.
They make a visual link between foreground and background and that breaks the "wall" so to speak and goes a long way to avoiding the stage effect.
I try to keep the viewer guessing just exactly where the join between the 3D and the 2D really is.

Duke is actually standing on a sheet of sandpaper and the background is a photograph of course, but it's not added digitally. It's there in reality for a straight out up front camera shot. NO photoshop tricks.
Don't much care for adding the background in photoshop. I think you can always spot the giveaway signs and it's hard to avoid that pasted on effect or to get the light source right.
Of course the rope border is added later by computer, but that's just a little window dressing to make it more like an old postcard.

As mentioned, Duke is very much still a "work-in-progress" and will probably undergo a few more changes yet.
He may even get a horse!
I've found some good looking ones on line that seem to have some sort of "real" hair on their body.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Last edited by LeStryge on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCU_HQ
SCRAMBLE PILOT
SCU_HQ

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2019 2:30 am

LeStryge wrote:

He may even get a horse!

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes info on the creation of this scene. You matched the lighting between the foreground "real objects" and the background photo perfectly. The color match between your miniature rocks and the rocks in the background image really works to disguise which parts are real and which are printed.

Miniature brass carbide miner's lamp! I'll check eBay, but I doubt I'll see anything like that! Nice little prop!

For 1:6 scale horses, my preference would be a vintage Johnny West "Comanche" horse. The articulation points make it look a little bit toy-like, but it remains my favorite horse model of all time. My opinion is likely influenced by the fact that my brother had Comanche when we were kids, and I still remember the excitement when he opened that huge box on Christmas morning!

LeStryge
Action Pilot
LeStryge

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2019 2:57 am

Again thanks for the comments!
And the advice on the horses too. I had been looking at THESE on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-6-Scale-War-HORSE-Model-3-Colors-Fit-for-12-Inch-Soldier-Figure-Action/303118115896?

They appear to be covered in some sort of fur (rabbit?) that gives them a realistic coat rather than a plastic look. The saddle is very poor, but could obviously be replaced.

Last edited by LeStryge on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCU_HQ
SCRAMBLE PILOT
SCU_HQ

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 am

LeStryge wrote:

(How long can a link be?)

Handy hint on posting eBay links: you can DELETE everything from the question mark following the item number, like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-6-Scale-War-HORSE-Model-3-Colors-Fit-for-12-Inch-Soldier-Figure-Action/303118115896

All of that extra stuff is tracking and referral data. eBay knows where you've been online, and that information appears in the eBay item URL after you have visited sites that have eBay affiliate links.
You can delete all the jazz starting with the ? following the item number and the link will still direct to the same page.

LeStryge
Action Pilot
LeStryge

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 am

Thanks! Have done so!

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 11:36 pm

That's a fine job of kit-bashing there. Very Happy

Your photographic effects are very impressive.

The bandoliers wouldn't phase me they go well with the overall effect.
A one sixth Gatling Gun or something would look pretty neat alongside those?

Kev.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeStryge
Action Pilot
LeStryge

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
Thanks Dreadnought! Always appreciate your comments.
You know, I think if I look hard enough I just might have a Gatling gun stashed away in one of my boxes of bits-&-pieces!
Great idea!

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 11:42 pm

LeStryge wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:
Thanks Dreadnought! Always appreciate your comments.
You know, I think if I look hard enough I just might have a Gatling gun stashed away in one of my boxes of bits-&-pieces!
Great idea!

Well, off you go searching young fellow, and keep us posted !!! Very Happy

Kev.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Duke Out West! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Out West!   Duke Out West! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duke Out West!
Page 1 of 1