ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Empty
PostSubject: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 1:41 am

"Working the Steampunk Angle" is a topic for suggestions, examples, tricks, tips, hints, and general blathering about creating a "steampunk" look in 1:6 scale.

Whether it's Joe/AM or other 1:6 figures, sets and backdrops, props, vehicles, individual bits of miscellaneous kit, or influential images that scream "steampunk" to you, let's corral all that steampunk stuff here in one topic.

In particular, HINTS, TIPS, TRICKS, AND TUTORIALS will be GREATLY APPRECIATED by those of us looking to create a Steampunk World for our figures.

If you're posting pics of your kitbashed figures, please tell us a bit about what you did to give them that steampunk style.

LIST OF STEAMPUNK-INSPIRED FORUM TOPICS

Steampunk in Coalville (AManfromcoalville)
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t2601-steampunk-in-coalville

My Totally Random Shots: Teegan Wilberforce is Back (BlondeActionMan)
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t2213p600-my-totally-random-shots

Steampunk Experiment (Gideon)
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t3462-steampunk-experiment

Hats: Two Types (Reddragon)
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t10494-hats-two-types

Steampunkin' Story (AManfromcoalville) (images missing)
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t3083-steampunkin-story-and-so-it-begins

Submerged: a Steampunk Submarine
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t5591-submerged-a-steampunk-submarine#69863

Steampunk Das Boot
http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t3066-top-secret-lil-nelle-or-das-boot

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:26 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
How about a "Working the Steampunk Angle" topic for suggestions, examples, tricks, tips, hints, and general blathering about creating a "steampunk" look?

Whether it's Joe/AM or other 1:6 figures, sets and backdrops, props, vehicles, individual bits of miscellaneous kit, or influential images that scream "steampunk" to you, let's corral all that steampunk stuff here in one topic.

In particular, HINTS, TIPS, TRICKS, AND TUTORIALS will be GREATLY APPRECIATED by those of us looking to create a Steampunk World for our figures.

If you're posting pics of your kitbashed figures, please tell us a bit about what you did to give them that steampunk style.

Its a great idea Dave, maybe we could start it in Kitbashes?
Back to top Go down
Rogue-Trooper
French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 9:31 am

Great idea. cheers

This 1/6 steampunk thing seems to be taking off everywhere..not just on AMMO.

I think several of us on here are in the process of putting a figure or two together..including me.

So a steampunk help, ideas and advice thread would be very helpful....especially if RD let's us in on the secret to his amazing hats lol!

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 am

Okay, while searching for this topic (because I couldn't remember what category I posted it in) I just discovered that there was an EXCELLENT steampunk topic posted several years ago (like, 2013, six years ago) by AManfromcoalville featuring the fantasmagorical Lord Fuzzaeous Fogg and his steampunky contraptions:

http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t2601-steampunk-in-coalville

A glance at the stats indicates that AManfromcoalville has not checked in at the forum since 2015. Is he still active in the 1:6 hobby, does anyone know? His steampunk creations are fantastic fun!

There is another steampunk topic, also from 2013, by forum member gideon, but the images seem to have disappeared:

http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/t3462-steampunk-experiment

In my very tentative first steps in to 1:6-scale steampunk, I just purchased a cool faux-leather jacket via eBay. I was looking at a DID (Dragons in Dreams) French Resistance jacket like BAM used for his Teegan Wilberforce character, but so far the only loose example I've seen is more than I'm comfortable paying for a 1:6 scale jacket. Today, while looking at 1:6 scale 21st Century items on eBay, I discovered the Universal Soldier "Villains" line, and found a loose jacket from one of their villainous characters for a reasonable... well, almost reasonable... price.

If anyone cares to direct me to additional steampunk-style posts on the forum, I would like to create a list for reference purposes in the first post of this topic.

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 am

Yeah, sadly people do drift in and out of the hobby for one reason or another Sad . I think Gideon is still about?
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 am

My first attempt at a "steampunk" figure:

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle August22a
Steampunk Adventurer Gear

The jacket is a 21st Century Ultimate Soldier Villain piece. The figure is a Hasbro GI Joe Soldiers of the World (circa 2000) figure, wearing a Hasbro Soldiers of the World uniform, with a TBLeague rifle, some additional 21st Century pieces (pistol, pith helmet), and some accessories from Pinky Street figures (eye patch and goggles).

Granted, a steampunk figure doesn't look entirely steampunk without Victorian-era chin-whiskers, but I'm not quite ready to invest in reflocking yet.

The backdrop is mostly styrofoam packing materials spray-painted grey and black.

French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 5:13 am

Excellent work cheers

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 8:06 am

Fantastic creation Dave! Looking forward too seeing his adventures cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 12:55 am

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle November24

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 2:28 am

Diabolical and sinister looking far-eastern steam punk representative...

Excellent!!!
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Awesome looking steampunk fellow Dave! cheers cheers cheers

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am

Wonderful picture Dave! bounce bounce bounce

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 4:40 am

You've seen my bloke before, but I thought I'd post him in this thread.

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle DsZWin

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 8:09 am

LeStryge wrote:
You've seen my bloke before, but I thought I'd post him in this thread.

I'm hoping to see some adventures featuring your steampunk character!

I was also hoping that this topic would become a repository of sorts for the steampunk images that are scattered around the forum. I'm happy you have contributed this image.

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
I'm hoping to see some adventures featuring your steampunk character!
I was also hoping that this topic would become a repository of sorts for the steampunk images that are scattered around the forum. I'm happy you have contributed this image.
He's thinking of firing up the Time Machine again real soon.
(There's already one trip to the future featured elsewhere.)

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle F3fNHX

I recently bought a paper cut out and put-together model of the Time Machine from the Rod Taylor movie. It was way too small in scale of course so I had it blown up and printed, but when assembled ( a nearly impossible task it must be said,even when it's been enlarged) it doesn't really lend itself well to being photographed. It's detailed enough but looks like a cardboard model...which of course it is. Took a lot of time but quite disappointing in the end.

Last edited by LeStryge on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Marvelous diorama of the Time Traveler's study! You certainly have some intriguing props with which to bring the scene to Victorian retro-futuristic life!

Too bad about the Time Machine model. I guess you will have to craft a detailed replica using actual brass, glass, and exotic hardwoods.
(We have already seen examples of your scale upholstery work, so the tufted velvet seat cushions should give you no trouble at all.)
Wink

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Marvelous diorama of the Time Traveler's study! You certainly have some intriguing props with which to bring the scene to Victorian retro-futuristic life!

Too bad about the Time Machine model. I guess you will have to craft a detailed replica using actual brass, glass, and exotic hardwoods.
(We have already seen examples of your scale upholstery work, so the tufted velvet seat cushions should give you no trouble at all.)
Wink

No, the paper thing was just an idea that I though MIGHT work to reference the movie.
However when blown up to 1/6 scale it didn't really turn out to be a useable prop. The print was still OK, but it would have had to be glued onto much thicker cardstock to look right and then all the edges would need to be disguised.
Even if you went to all that trouble it would still look fake.
I've already made a reasonable looking time machine from my orrery and a few bits and pieces, so I'll be sticking with that.
Just currently thinking where to go and what will be there.
As for those props you mention, I have FAR too many bits and pieces I've collected over time, like most of us here I guess. They do take up a lot of room though.....

Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 2:15 am

Ammo members are STILL typing and kitbashing Steampunk!

PostSubject: Re: Working the STEAMPUNK Angle   Working the STEAMPUNK Angle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Working the STEAMPUNK Angle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Help and Advice :: Hints & Tips & Useful Links-
Jump to: