ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Removing Camo?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 5:59 am

Does anyone have any idea how to safely remove the small camo face marks from a MAM face? It's not the all-over face paint version.
(And NO nasty snide suggestions from you VAM fans either!)

I want to be able to use the figure for more situations where camo is not appropriate.
Tried white spirit and oven cleaner....neither worked.
Can't use acetone either. Another experiment on a MAM with that particular chemical ended in total disaster! He now has to wear overalls....permanently!
Can't fully soak the head or the eyes/brows will come off too.
Anyone tried anything else with success?
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 6:08 am

It isn't that hard to repaint a head/face. You could remove what's there and repaint or just paint over it. There are some nice flesh tone sets.

Removing Camo? ACS-001%5B1%5D

As long as the acetone/nail polish remover doesn't stay in contact too long, it shouldn't do any damage. Use what we call a q-tip and carefully work it off. Be prepared to quickly rinse it if things start to go south, but I've depainted a few heads and it usually takes some scrubbing. It takes a bit of work to do any damage.

I've even heard of soaking heads, letting them swell and then setting them out to reshrink to original (or somewhat smaller) size. I've even heard of guys doing this to intentionally shrink a head a bit.
Back to top Go down

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 am

gibri wrote:
It isn't that hard to repaint a head/face. You could remove what's there and repaint or just paint over it.
Yes, that was my thought too.
I have repainted a James Bond head with great success where the original flesh tone had degraded and gone green.

gibri wrote:
As long as the acetone/nail polish remover doesn't stay in contact too long, it shouldn't do any damage.
Despite taking all such precautions, I found the acetone left the plastic at first slimy and even after rinsing, when dry it appeared furry.
Don't worry, I have a scenario building in the back of my twisted little mind where his disfigurement will be a feature.

gibri wrote:
I've even heard of soaking heads, letting the swell and then setting them out to reshrink to original (or somewhat smaller) size. I've even heard of guys doing this to intentionally shrink a head.
Yikes! I think I'll leave any head-shrinking to those Jivaro natives. I bow to their demonstrated expertise in THAT grisly field!
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 6:44 am

lol! lol! lol! No doubt, I'd never try it.

I did run into that furring you mention, now that I recall.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Maybe buy another head like the one you want...
And switch heads..Then when you want camo switch back.. lol!

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:
I admit I have absolutely no experience in changing heads on MAM. I believe it involves boiling water and some risk of damage to the figure.

At this stage I'm thinking I'll go with the paint job.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2019 4:06 am

LeStryge wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:
I admit I have absolutely no experience in changing heads on MAM. I believe it involves boiling water and some risk of damage to the figure.

At this stage I'm thinking I'll go with the paint job.

Hummm, I did not know that... Never owned a MAM...
Gijoes with soft heads are easy to remove and switch...

Removing Camo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Camo?   Removing Camo? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing Camo?
Page 1 of 1