Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm

Go down 
AuthorMessage
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Empty
PostSubject: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm

You know whats weird???
The magic eight ball was introduced in 1950...

While Magic 8 Ball did not exist in its current form until 1950, the functional component was invented by Albert C. Carter, inspired by a spirit writing device used by his mother, Mary, a Cincinnati clairvoyant.

Meanwhile BACK in 1940 the three stooges made this short video...Hummmm... lol!

You Nazty Spy! is a 1940 comedy film directed by Jules White and starring American slapstick comedy team The Three Stooges (Moe Howard, Larry Fine, and Curly Howard). It is the 44th short film released by Columbia Pictures starring the comedians, who released 190 short films for the studio between 1934 and 1959.

I wonder if they got the idea for the magic eight ball by watching the 3 stooges??? lol

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2019 2:32 am

Guess not a interesting subject... lol!

Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2019 3:04 am

Razz I find it a fascinating topic, myself! I remember being in awe of the first Magic 8-Ball I saw when I was a kid. It seemed so mysterious and spooky.

When I was a bit older, I was able to figure out that there was a "floating thing" inside, and it became a lot less mysterious, but still I thought it was kind of cool.

Then, when my parents finally allowed my brothers and I to finally get one, of course it was one of the not-uncommon defective ones, in which the answer cube always came up on edge rather than on an answer face. That was disappointing.

I still check out the Magic 8-Balls when I run across them in stores. It seemed like for a couple of decades they were uncommon, but over the past several years they have made a come-back.

That's quite interesting about the origin of the 8-Ball. So it does have mysterious, spiritualistic origins! Shocked

I never knew how long the Magic 8-Ball had been around. I guess I'd never thought about it. It was one of those things that had just "always been," I guess.

Okay, that Stooges clip is funny! Of course, the Stooges are funny, but the Axis pastiche angle, the silliness over "playing handsies," and... yeah, a Magic 8-Ball a decade before the toy version came in to existence. This clip very well could have influenced the designer, I'm sure!

Here is a fairly detailed chronology of the development of the Magic 8-Ball: http://mentalfloss.com/article/67702/brief-history-magic-8-ball
There's no mention of the Three Stooges, however. Rather, the 8-ball design is said to have originated as the result of a promotional partnership between the originators of the fortune telling novelty toy and the Brunswick Billiards Company.

The original developer of the 8-Ball continued to market it until 1971, when the company was purchased by IDEAL Toys (home of Captain Action... see, how's that for tying this topic in to the action figure focus of this forum?). IDEAL was acquired by Viewmaster (the 3-D viewer company, which was later acquired by GAF) in 1987, who sold it to Tyco (remember Tyco slot car sets and electric trains?) in 1989, and was ultimately absorbed by Mattel in 1997. Mattel continues to produce the Magic 8-Ball.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2019 10:44 am

We had the Harry Potter version of the Magic 8 Ball. The answers were different, it was purple and it was sarcastic... Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Sometimes I think nothing is ever new. Somebody always had the idea before, and they got it from someone else...

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Sabotage
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 pm

gibri wrote:
We had the Harry Potter version of the Magic 8 Ball. The answers were different, it was purple and it was sarcastic...

I have a Bratz Genie Magic Fortune Teller. She is battery operated. Press on the crystal ball while asking a Yes-or-No question and she verbally answers the question... like, usually with some attitude and a touch of snark!

Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm 24180763981_95beef8117

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
gibri wrote:
We had the Harry Potter version of the Magic 8 Ball. The answers were different, it was purple and it was sarcastic...

I have a Bratz Genie Magic Fortune Teller. She is battery operated. Press on the crystal ball while asking a Yes-or-No question and she verbally answers the question... like, usually with some attitude and a touch of snark!

Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm 24180763981_95beef8117

Cool! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm   Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something I always wondered about the magic eight ball...hummm
Page 1 of 1