ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My childhood collection

Go down 
+3
BAMComix
gibri
FIELD STATION 42
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

My childhood collection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 am

THIS is what I mean about the legs, ...I suppose more specifically the knees.
Aficionados never seem to have any problem with the very visible screws in the wrists and other joints, whereas I always saw them as visually problematic, even more so when they stopped painting them.

My childhood collection - Page 2 ZFU0F6

But I'm guessing it's the toys you grew up with and treasured as a kid.

However rest assured I am not picking on VAM. I also have a personal peeve with at least one aspect (and probably more!) of MAM, and that's those damn HUGE hands!
They will not go through so much of the wonderfully made 1/6 scale clothing that's available nowadays, .....the newer figures all seem to have those conveniently removable hands that allow for dressing. And yes, those huge biceps can also be a problem. Perhaps MAM was pre-supposing the Super-Hero figures of today?
I have frequently unpicked seams and resewn them after putting a garment onto a MAM, but then it's almost a permanent fixture.

As yet I have not joined the ever-growing "Frankenstein Club"! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 6:12 am

Yes, I should have mentioned those mitts too. The combination of the hands and large forearms really ruin them for me.

I can see your point about the knees and rivets.

I've done a bit of Frankensteining. Mostly to swap heads, but I've also done a bit of dremeling to try and increase the range of motion to improve posing, but not on Joes. I've modded some neck mounts to put Joe heads on Dragon/DML bodies and dremeled the heck out of DML bodies so they could crouch low or sit in a jeep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Actually now that I look at them, VAM has quite delicate little hands, specially when compared with the lumping great mitts of MAM.

I have quite successfully dremelled off more than a few of those moulded on weapons and such from MAMs, but am yet to work up the courage to attempt a head transplant.
I don't really have any other brands of bodies to use but would like to get some of the different MAM head-sculpts that I really like onto plain nude bodies, ...i.e. ones without any moulded on clothing on the upper torso.
This far increases the range of possibilities for which the figures can be used.

A huge problem with MAM group pics is that the heads are so often identical. Occasionally you can find different heads and these are all the more useful.
I try many ways to increase the appearance of diversity by painting hair, giving them "five o,clock shadows", chest hair etc., ....flocking would help immensely but there are no experts nearby.

Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Now if we're talking men in shorts on of my childhood adventure team figures looks great as the desert fighter outfit Smile [br][br]My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145120[br][br]My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145205[br][br]My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145215[br][br]My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145215[br][br]My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145332
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 pm

My commando and canoe from my childhood, probably my favourite figure. The cherilea oar seems to have gone missing though.

My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145816

My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_145833

My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_150057

My childhood collection - Page 2 IMG_20200204_150117

I also loved my British Tommy but he seems to be missing in action. I'd like to replace him sometime soon Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 pm

Sparkys6887 wrote:
Now if we're talking men in shorts on of my childhood adventure team figures looks great as the desert fighter outfit
Well I have to admit that they are certainly somewhat better legs than are usually to be seen on most VAMs!
Have you performed a transplant, or are they originals!
He CAN wear shorts! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Original adventure team legs mate, I'd be happy with legs like that myself! Look at his calf muscles and thighs Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 10:13 pm

Outstanding sparky! great to have you back! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Sparkys6887 wrote:
Original adventure team legs mate, I'd be happy with legs like that myself! Look at his calf muscles and thighs Smile Smile Smile
Ah yes, ...I see your version here now in the centre!
VAST improvement on the 1964 legs.
Unfortunately for comparison purposes, the illustration does not include the later Hasbro version that had good flexible joints at the knees and ankles.
The stiff-legged one shown LOOKED okay if he was just to stand about but was useless in most poses, having only those "3-click" position knees.

My childhood collection - Page 2 NuCv4T
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Outstanding sparky! great to have you back! bounce bounce

Thanks Dal, good to be back, just never believed I'd be reunited with most of my childhood lads. The memories are so impactful made all the sharper as my folks died recently. I'm restoring one of my childhood scorpion tanks at the moment and remember one summer before my dad grassed our lawn he let me dig bomb craters and trenches big enough for my VAM and for me to get in! Then the wardrobe and command post my dad made together with check point. I've not got the money or time to put in like I used to but I'm loving it and so is Jemma, were decorating her bedroom at the moment and I asked her if she wanted to put her VAM away and she said she wants a display cabinet!!!

LeStryge, Loved my adventure team, got two of them.from a jumble sale. My dad was a scout leader and mum cub mistress so I often had first choice Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Sparky, I can only imagine the wonderful memories of your childhood and your parents that your re-assembled collection has brought back.
The digging up of the lawn story was priceless!
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 pm

LeStryge wrote:
Sparkys6887 wrote:
Ah yes, ...I see your version here now in the centre!
VAST improvement on the 1964 legs.
Unfortunately for comparison purposes, the illustration does not include the later Hasbro version that had good flexible joints at the knees and ankles.
The stiff-legged one shown LOOKED okay if he was just to stand about but was useless in most poses, having only those "3-click" position knees.

My childhood collection - Page 2 NuCv4T

Maybe if they would decide on the terminology...

I've always called that figure MB (Muscle Body) for US Joes and thought the VAM version was called Dynamic Physique(?)

Love the stories and the fox hole in the backyard, keep them coming please Mark! Very Happy

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 pm

Yes me too, muscle body Joe's and the box on my 1978 TC definitely read dynamic physique. Got him for my birthday that year Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 am

You both have the advantage on me.
Sadly I did NOT get a G.I. Joe as a child.
As a very young kid, I can clearly remember having a most beautiful sailboat that I used to sail on our dam. I dearly wanted a figure to skipper it and asked my parents to buy me one, but the only thing available here in suitable scale was a doll, and (even worse!) a BABY doll at that. I think I tried it once and almost immediately rejected it completely.
Of course it accidently fell overboard and I was strangely unaffected...... Wink
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 7:41 am

Good to see you back Mark and it's great that you have your childhood guys back too! cheers cheers

Re;body types terminology...

I think the 'Muscle body' is the post 64 type used by GI Joe. It was only used on the Tom Stone figure here in the UK. 'Dynamic physique' is the Palitoy designed body used on Eagle eye action men from 1978 onwards.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 3:25 am

And while we are on the subject of variations in VAM, could someone please explain to me why some Vam Eagle Eyes seem to look quite OK, as in Number Three in the Rogue's Gallery below, but the first two have that shocked expression as if somebody has just done something unspeakable to a certain part of their anatomy?
They have always looked very odd to me. Are they "earlier versions"?
Number Four is my own MAM, who is also an Eagle-Eye, ( I have a few of them) but the manufacturers seem to have managed to make the moveable eyes so much more realistic.

My childhood collection - Page 2 ORN3kn
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 3:29 am

Enjoying your collection Mark! cheers
Those crazy Eagle eyes LeStryge....lol

PostSubject: Re: My childhood collection   My childhood collection - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My childhood collection
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2