ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Postcard from the Range.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks again Dal and Alex!
He does like his new BattleGear holster and gun!

After all that excitement he'll be "hitting the hay" for a while now.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 4:53 pm

affraid That sidewinder is quick on the draw!

I don't know a lot about firearms, but is that a Colt "Navy" revolver? I have read that the Colt Navy was common in the early days of the old west after having been used during the American Civil War.

Are you going to start carving little notches in the handle?

LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I don't know a lot about firearms, but is that a Colt "Navy" revolver?
I probably know even less about firearms that were used during the "Wild West " era in the USA.
I bought it from the BattleGear catalogue purely because I liked the look of it, but yes, upon checking back I can see that it is indeed the "Navy Colt Revolver".
Well spotted!

SCU_HQ wrote:
I have read that the Colt Navy was common in the early days of the old west after having been used during the American Civil War.

I have read that so much of what we now think the Old West was like really did not happen at all.
It's all the influence of so many Western movies.
For a start "cowboys" were mostly itinerant ranch workers, fur trappers or miners, most of whom could not afford a horse, much less a side-arm.
Those revolvers we see everybody wearing in movies were extremely expensive to buy, even back then.
Men could simply not afford them. Towns had to collectively purchase one for their Sheriff.
Rifles were more common, being cheaper, but you cannot easily wear a rifle at your side in a holster .
"Shoot-Outs" as portrayed so dramatically in the movies were extremely rare and not performed in the main street if at all.
Odd really how movies have warped reality so much in the name of entertainment.

SCU_HQ wrote:
Are you going to start carving little notches in the handle?
Probably not at this stage!  lol!  lol!  lol!
My pic was really just me trying to do a few "western" cliché pics.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 am

LeStryge wrote:

I have read that so much of what we now think the Old West was like really did not happen at all.

I once read a book... I still have it around here somewhere, I think, about life on the Comstock Lode, a wild and woolly silver rush in Nevada in the 1860s. The book was written in the 1920s by a newspaperman who was actually there during the glory days of the 1860s and 1870s. He said that contrary to the reputation of the silver and gold rush towns being hotbeds of violence and crime, the norm was everyone being exceptionally polite and mannerly toward each other. He explained that when everybody is carrying a handgun, which almost everyone did, then everyone is always on their best behavior!

Yes, I've also read that during the days of the wild west, few 'cowboys' carried the elegant Colt Peacemaker pistols popular in the movies. Most people who carried weapons had, firstly, as you say, a rifle or shotgun, because those weapons were practical for hunting and for predator control on ranches; and side-arms were usually surplus Civil War or Cavalry weapons, hence the relatively archaic Colt Navy.

Relatively archaic, but it sure looked cool! And from what I've seen online, it actually belched flame and smoke like in your image!

LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I once read a book... I still have it around here somewhere, I think, about life on the Comstock Lode, a wild and woolly silver rush in Nevada in the 1860s. The book was written in the 1920s by a newspaperman who was actually there during the glory days of the 1860s and 1870s. He said that contrary to the reputation of the silver and gold rush towns being hotbeds of violence and crime, the norm was everyone being exceptionally polite and mannerly toward each other. He explained that when everybody is carrying a handgun, which almost everyone did, then everyone is always on their best behavior!
I must have read the same book, or at least extracts from it, because I also remember the "polite" bit.
I think the essential thing was most of the blokes out there were poor and just scratching out an existence, so just could not afford to buy expensive guns, ...even war surplus.
Booze however was cheap, if largely rot-gut stuff.
SCU_HQ wrote:
Relatively archaic, but it sure looked cool! And from what I've seen online, it actually belched flame and smoke like in your image!

I'd dearly like to say I researched that bit for my photo, but again I was really conforming to movies where guns not only have to be heard to fire, but seen to do so as well!

Even in the movies of today, have you ever noticed that the Foley Studio invariably puts in the familiar clicking sound of a gun being cocked to alert you that a threat is being made to fire, but modern pistols do not make such a sound at all?

Now I'm thinking of buying my cowboy a little tin star!  (BattleGear sell 'em!) Why not, eh?

Last edited by LeStryge on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 6:07 am

LeStryge wrote:

Now I'm thinking of buying my cowboy a little tin star!  (BattleGear sell 'em!) Why not, eh?

I like that idea. Make him a "good guy." Or at least, a "legitimized" gunslinger like Wyatt Earp.

LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 am

He scored a good set of spurs on eBay last night, ....free shipping too, however as they are coming from Hong Kong and virtually all flights into Australia have now ceased, who knows if he'll ever get to wear them? Question Question Question

PostSubject: Re: Postcard from the Range.   Postcard from the Range. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Postcard from the Range.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Modern Action Man (Mam) 1990 Onwards :: Mam Kitbashes-
Jump to: