ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Joe reaches the big five-O

Go down 
+10
Professor Gangrene Fan
FIELD STATION 42
JohnnyE4
BAMComix
Gunner Munro
blackbrazen
Jet-
inntruderr61
Sparkys6887
Rustygun
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

Joe reaches the big five-O Empty
PostSubject: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 pm

2020 marks the 50th anniversary of Joe's arrival at SKJ HQ. It's scary to think that I got him for my 9th birthday way back in 1970. To mark this milestone I thought I'd run a thread as I have a few things planned to commemorate his 50th. Amongst other ideas I have plans to rebuild his original body and take him on a pilgrimage back to visit Coalville.
I thought I'd start with an admittedly self indulgent but I hope vaguely interesting retrospective of his early years. It's nothing I haven't droned on about in the past but hey, it's not everyday your favourite Action Man hits the big five-O!

Joe was one of the newly designed 2nd Issue Soldiers that marked the beginning of Palitoy's move away from being just a GI Joe clone to making Action Man a brand in it's own right..

Joe reaches the big five-O DSCF3051-zps0upudilw

Given the kit avaliable to Palitoy, the 2nd Issue was a pretty good approximation of a contemporary British soldier but the hard hands/Sten gun was the combo from hell!

Joe reaches the big five-O DSCF3065-zpsl2t1km0n

Joe was a minor celebrity on his arrival as he was the first flocked VAM my mates and I had ever seen!

Joe reaches the big five-O DSCF3068-zpsjd1bz4fm

He didn't stay a 2nd Issue Soldier for long as for the same birthday I received Joe I also got a 'Soldiers of the Century' Russian Infantryman uniform.

Joe reaches the big five-O 83820331-2642809452441112-5669329811080740864-n

I don't remember specifically asking for the Russian uniform but I don't think it was a random choice either. I was already very interested in all things 'Soviet', from the space races' cosmonauts to the cold war's 'red's under the bed' so it made sense I got this uniform.

Joe reaches the big five-O 1

I named him 'Joseph' after uncle Joe Stalin.

Joe reaches the big five-O 83779760-2642809645774426-4564120999380910080-n

The Degtyaryov was a bit too big and cumbersome so Joe soon inherited a MP40.

Joe reaches the big five-O 83886773-2642809639107760-3505532365462044672-n

I was a big Star Trek fan back then so as well as being very logical like Mr Spock, Joe also used to use his 'tricorder' to search for life form readings! (yeah I know it's a binoculars case but to me back then it was a Tricorder!)

Joe rocked the Russian look for  couple of years as you can tell by the condition of his original jacket.

Joe reaches the big five-O 83777363-2642809722441085-8217012309789245440-n

Summer 1971. Me, my dear old Nan, and Joe front and centre.

Joe reaches the big five-O 1971

Joe at 50. A little older, a little heavier....but probably none the wiser!

Joe reaches the big five-O 83897537-2642809735774417-8004879781935972352-n

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Rustygun
Mountaineer
Rustygun

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Great stuff ...interesting journey ..and great pics

Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 10:34 pm

Great thread Steve. Lucky and having the Russian SOTC uniform. I'm so pleased to have a lot of my old VAM back, so great having the actual figures I had as s kid, they've seen many a campaign. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your 50th celebrations Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 11:15 pm

What a great insight into Joe! He has certainly had an interesting journey with you Steve, and we haven't even got to his everlasting partnership with Hank! I love how you described using the bio case as a life reader! I think we all did something similar at some point, using an item as something else?
I look forward too hearing more of Joe at 50. Great work mate, really enjoyed it bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 3:51 am

Great history and photos, Steve, it was a good read. Interesting to me to read about the 2nd generation figures by Palitoy. Had to be a lot better to have a basic British soldier rather than copies of Hasbro's US Army figures.

I'll look forward to seeing what you get into for his 50th year. Trip to Coalville sounds great!

Happy Birthday Joe!!!

cheers Party cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 4:51 am

I very much enjoyed seeing that vintage photo of your Nan and you , together with your Joe!
Sort of encapsulated the thrill that getting such a playmate was back then!
Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Wow! Great read and photos! Truly enjoyed the journey! cheers cheers cheers

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 7:38 pm

What a fantastic retrospective! And such a joy to see you still own your original Action Man and his original uniforms and accessories!
The photo of younger you with nan and AM is a treat to see!

Ah, how I regret having sold my original GI Joe Action Pilot a number of years ago, when I went through a silly phase of "it's time to grow up." He was a painted hair fig, with box and the original accessories I'd received with him, including a pup tent, which was pretty cool. My younger brother's first GI Joe was a flocked hair Adventure Team figure.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what else you do to celebrate AM's 50th! And a huge congratulations to you on your wisdom and foresight for taking good care of him for his first half-century!

Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Fantastic thread Steve, a fully deserved tribute to one of AMMO's most famous celebrities!

Joe looks great in both his 2nd issue soldier and Russian uniforms, some great pictures cheers cheers

To celebrate his 50th why not treat him to the ultimate gift.......... a 50th body!!!! Twisted Evil

Joe reaches the big five-O Volgan10
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm

Joe's 50th birthday fan club has officially started...  cheers

Joe reaches the big five-O Img_2042

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Beatlefan wrote:

To celebrate his 50th why not treat him to the ultimate gift.......... a 50th body!!!! Twisted Evil

affraid  I wouldn't wish that fate on an Intruder!!

SCU_HQ wrote:
.... And a huge congratulations to you on your wisdom and foresight for taking good care of him for his first half-century!

lol! lol! lol!  Well I've taken good care of him for the last few years but it wasn't always like that! It's interesting to compare how he fared during his first tour of duty (1970-76) and the same amount of time since his reflock in 2014.

Six years of active service in the backyard wars had certainly taken their toll on that fresh faced young VAM from 1970.

Joe reaches the big five-O Picture023-1

..but a trip to Flocktastic in 2014 certainly rolled back the years and erased the old soldier's war weariness.

Joe reaches the big five-O DSCF7069_zps6a55b447

Six years on from that and he's as pretty as ever.

Joe reaches the big five-O IMG-8136

...just goes to prove what a walk in the park life as an 'adult collectable' really is! lol! lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 pm

The boys look the business Steve! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pm

The reflock made a world of difference on your guys! All in all, though, that's a pretty minor repair considering his age. Good to know that your Joes lived the life a Joe is supposed to live in their younger days and that they survived to tell the tale, and to come back better and stronger nearly half a century later to keep the legend alive.

Really, GI Joe and Action Man are legendary to at least a couple of generations of us who remember the glory days of the mid-60s through the late-70s.

And now, through the near-magic of digital photography and Internet forums, we can re-live those imaginary adventures; not just by ourselves in our own minds as we did back then, but through photography we can bring those scenes to life and share them with like-minded adventurers from around the world.

Looking forward to another fifty years of Joe adventures! Let's hope we all hold up as well as Joe will! Wink

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 12:24 am

I think I need a re-flock....... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jet-
Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Great thread Steve
You must have a good memory, remembering what uniform you got the same time as Joe Very Happy
What I like best is your old photos with your nan , great memories
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Were there any problems with the plastic of any parts of his body changing colour over time?
I have some MAMs where this problem has occurred.
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm

It's my youngest sister's birthday today. What's that got to do with VAM you may ask? Well after a couple of years of being aware of, and planning for, my VAM Joe's impending 50th it was only today that I realised it's my sister's 50th too!  Rolling Eyes

Two 'Joes' arrived at SKJ HQ in 1970. Joe my Action Man and Joanne my sister. No guesses as to which my younger self seems to have thought was the most important....and things obviously haven't changed much!

Love you sis! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
No guesses as to which my younger self seems to have thought was the most important....and things obviously haven't changed much!
Well at least you had (and still have?) your priorities right!
Specially for a young boy! lol!

Last edited by LeStryge on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Happy 50th anniversary of Joe's arrival at SKJ HQ. I bet Joe’s had lots of missions and adventures with you Steve.

Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 pm

PMSL @ Steve Smile made me chuckle mate. Thought you were going to say you bought her a VAM for her birthday Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 2:12 am

somekindajoe wrote:
It's my youngest sister's birthday today. What's that got to do with VAM you may ask? Well after a couple of years of being aware of, and planning for, my VAM Joe's impending 50th it was only today that I realised it's my sister's 50th too!  Rolling Eyes

Two 'Joes' arrived at SKJ HQ in 1970. Joe my Action Man and Joanne my sister. No guesses as to which my younger self seems to have thought was the most important....and things obviously haven't changed much!

Love you sis! lol! lol!

After 50 years of sharing the world and a name with your best buddy,  I'm sure she would expect no less. Laughing Interesting that she was also named Jo.

Great story!!!

Happy Birthday Jo II... Party

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Gunner Munro
Arctic Explorer
Gunner Munro

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 pm

What a fantastic Post Steve,
it made me think of the Munrovian guys and when and where they came about. My memory is a little hazier than yours even though we are the same age !!lol!

I was born in 1961 and I'm pretty sure I got my first guy in 66 or 67 . As I have blogged before he ended up bodiless  but is now back in his rightful place a commander of the "old Guard"

Here he is on the radio. He is actually on a Cots body.. Just one of the many "must get to projects" I have  lol!
Joe reaches the big five-O Fullsizeoutput-f69

and here he is with black, a soft head, 21 stars mail away.. my very last Childhood VAM ...until the bug really got me again in 2016 .. now I have hundreds  lol!
Joe reaches the big five-O Fullsizeoutput-f6f

in rough order of arrival my child hood collection was

Black- Combat soldier- 1966
Blonde- Action Pilot.
Talking Commander
Captain Scarlet
Tommy Gunn
Redbox KO
21 stars Auburn head
21 Stars brown head.
Marx Silver Knight
Action sailor- HMS Dreadnought-first and only realistic hair figure.
Marx General Custer
Black- Last but by no means least.

Black arrived around 1974/5 ?  and  by 1977 they were in the attic as PUNK ROCK had arrived - along with GURLS and BEER  lol!
Back to top Go down
blackbrazen
Eagle Eyes
blackbrazen

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 12:36 pm

What a fantastic thread!
cheers cheers
There's nothing better for me than seeing our original old childhood friends given a restoration and brought back to life again. That photo of you on the step of the caravan feels so familiar – that's exactly how childhood was for all of us back in the 70s...carefree, long summer days. And we spend the rest of our lives trying to recapture it!
Really looking forward to your next post!
cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 pm

When I was a kid I desperately wanted the Marx General Custer fig, but my parents said "you already have GI Joe."

In retrospect, I suppose they were right, but that Custer looked so cool in the TV and catalog advertising!

Arctic Explorer
Gunner Munro

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
When I was a kid I desperately wanted the Marx General Custer fig, but my parents said "you already have GI Joe."

In retrospect, I suppose they were right, but that Custer looked so cool in the TV and catalog advertising!

Hi Dave,

I didn't realise that Marx did military figs - All I ever saw as a kid were the Knights and the Cowboys here in the UK . I've had Stoney Smith on my e-bay watch for ever list. lol!

My original Custer mostly got used as the enemy of VAM

Here are some of the Marx figures I have on display.- I'm making up for lost time Smile

Joe reaches the big five-O IMG_2215
Joe reaches the big five-O IMG_2216
Joe reaches the big five-O IMG-2213
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe reaches the big five-O   Joe reaches the big five-O Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joe reaches the big five-O
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next