Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Empty
PostSubject: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 3:52 am

I purchased this circa 1996 G.I. Joe "Classic Collection" Australian Operational Deployment Force (O.D.F.) figure via eBay last week, and it arrived today:

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure April10

Price: $24 USD shipped for an almost 25 year old "limited edition" action figure.

The intent, the plan if you will, behind this purchase was that I was buying this figure for the uniform and accessories. I've been looking at Joe-scale backpacks online, and a single backpack sells for around twelve dollars. I realized that for twice the price I could get a fully dressed, mint in box figure with the backpack, a hat, a uniform, and various cool kit. I had already purchased one of these figures a couple of years ago, and I've since used the uniform and accessories for other figures and other purposes.

But today the guy... note the shift in terminology, "guy" rather than "figure"... arrived. I found myself looking at the date on the box: 1996 Limited Edition. I peered through the scuffed plastic at this soldier, poised for action, as he has been for a quarter century, and I began experiencing a rush of mixed and muddled thoughts and emotions.

Cool uniform. Cool gear. Cool hat. This stuff will look great on X or Y or Z figure!

But then: twenty-five years! This figure... shifting back to "figure" terminology again... has been kept mint in box for a quarter century! Who am I to open up a box that has been carefully... or not so carefully, since this particular figure is mint but the box shows some storage wear... saved for twenty-five years? This boxed figure is almost a relic, a historical artifact. Each one that is opened means one fewer unopened example in the world! Who knows how many are left?

And then: look at this guy! Poised for action! Waiting on high alert for twenty-five years, ready for adventure, ready to be played with! He's a toy, an action figure, not a collectible. He... a guy, not "it" as a "figure" or "collectible"... is ready to spring out of this box and kick up some dust!

But... the label on the box says "Classic Collection: Limited Edition," so maybe this figure is a collectible rather than a toy.

Nah... it's just a toy, a crummy modern (as opposed to the classic GI Joe design) action figure. Scavenge the uniform bits and chuck the funky body in to a storage bin or something.

But... but... look at this guy! Twenty-five years he's been waiting, waiting to... waiting to play! Waiting to do GI JOE stuff!

And it's not his fault that he was "born" with a funky new style body rather than the classic 1960s-1970s body. He's still a GI Joe!

I started thinking about this quarantine we're all under, everywhere in the world it seems, with no end in sight. We're all trapped, like this GI Joe guy, our our lives on hold, being denied our basic liberties, being denied our rights (at least here in the States) to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

There is nothing in the US Constitution or Bill of Rights about the government being authorized to take away the most basic civil and human rights because of a perceived threat from an illness. We, The People, are supposed to be out and about, pursuing happiness to the best of our abilities, while living a life of liberty, free from the shackles of tyranny.

And GI Joe, along with his International brother in arms Action Man, was never meant to spend his life locked away in a box. Locked down in a box.

So this guy will be released from his box... as soon as I snap a few decent pics of the packaging. And... he will get to keep his uniform! Nope, not gonna strip this fellow for parts. He's waited patiently for far too long to suffer such an ignominious fate. Adventure awaits... on the land, on the sea, and in the air!

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 6:11 am

To de-box or not to de-box that is the question. Whether tis nobler... ...

It is the age old quandary among collectors. Well, I've had a few of these guys, know a little about them, not much, but a little. The, as called, CC Joes; passable head sculpt, nicely made gear and decently articulated almost bullet-proof body.

Let him try out during your next casting call and see if he can earn a place in the troupe.

cheers Basketball cheers
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 7:51 am

only you can make that call Dave, if I am correct in my thinking, I a am sure they are held in place with twist cables, easy to undo, and put back if indeed you do decode to take they guy out.

Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 8:17 am

It is the age old question isn't it!
Should they have excavated and pulled apart the tomb of Tutankhamun, after it had been so carefully assembled and had remained that way for 3200 years?

I bought a "Stalker" figure to re-purpose but when it arrived I found that had been so immaculately preserved I hesitated to change it at all!
Give the little guy a break. He's been waiting long enough for one!
No kid ever came to free him.

Australian Jungle Fighter
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm famous for having one of the worse de-carding phobias in the hobby but I'd have to say you shouldn't confer any sort of importance on something just because it's 'old'. To use comics as an analogy, by the 1980's silver age comics (1960's) had already been valuable for ages. We now have an even bigger time-span with 1990's comics and today but are they worth anything? Nah! Rarity is a big issue with value and by the 90's everyone was saving everything.

Enjoy that Joe for what it is Dave, a toy to be played with! cheers

To prove my point, who remember's Hank's 'mint on card' MAM purchase? lol!

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Cappy1

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 3:27 pm

lol! lol! lol! quite tame by some of Hanks past ebay purchases I'm sure! bounce bounce bounce

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 4:56 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
I'm famous for having one of the worse de-carding phobias in the hobby but I'd have to say you shouldn't confer any sort of importance on something just because it's 'old'. To use comics as an analogy, by the 1980's silver age comics (1960's) had already been valuable for ages. We now have an even bigger time-span with 1990's comics and today but are they worth anything? Nah! Rarity is a big issue with value and by the 90's everyone was saving everything.

To prove my point, who remember's Hank's 'mint on card' MAM purchase?

lol! All that for a hat! That's where I was headed with this Aussie guy, or so I thought. Strip him for the cool bits of kit and chuck the rest. But there's something about his face; gah! It's just molded plastic, no more "alive" than a disposable spoon from a fast food restaurant, but when they put faces on things they take on a life of their own.

For a "limited edition" these figures do not seem to be rare, at least not yet, at all. There are several on eBay for around $25 USD shipped. In fact, one eBay seller just sent me an "offer" to sell me one of these for $10.50. With shipping, it would end up costing... $24... so not a great deal, but not exactly a "rare" price. You're right, most '90s stuff is still pretty common and of very little value.

The value in this fig will be in his "play value."

Glad to see this question resonates with many of you!

Medic
JohnnyE4

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 pm

great stuff even better when i clicked on it and it enlarged
Back to top Go down
http://littledandbubba.weebly.com/index.html
Gunner Munro
Sabotage
Gunner Munro

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
somekindajoe wrote:

To prove my point, who remember's Hank's 'mint on card' MAM purchase?

lol!  All that for a hat! That's where I was headed with this Aussie guy, or so I thought. Strip him for the cool bits of kit and chuck the rest. But there's something about his face; gah! It's just molded plastic, no more "alive" than a disposable spoon from a fast food restaurant, but when they put faces on things they take on a life of their own.

For a "limited edition" these figures do not seem to be rare, at least not yet, at all. There are several on eBay for around $25 USD shipped. In fact, one eBay seller just sent me an "offer" to sell me one of these for $10.50. With shipping, it would end up costing... $24... so not a great deal, but not exactly a "rare" price. You're right, most '90s stuff is still pretty common and of very little value.

The value in this fig will be in his "play value."

Glad to see this question resonates with many of you!

Dave ,
I'm with most of the folks on this ( Sorry Steve) - its all about play value- Those guys, even MAM,have a right to get out there . So lets see his kit parcelled out and then see him in action in what ever guise you see fit .

Release the beast !! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Prof Gangrene Fan
Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Gunner Munro wrote:
Dave ,
I'm with most of the folks on this ( Sorry Steve)  - its all about play value- Those guys, even MAM,have a right to get out there . So lets see his kit parcelled out and then see him in action in what ever guise you see fit .

Release the beast !! lol! lol!

I totally agree with everything you’v typed they Gunner.

Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 pm

And besides, if this damned Chinese Coronavirus situation has proven anything at all, it's that Aussies do NOT like being kept inside.
(Well most of 'em don't!)

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 7:06 am

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure April11

Aussie Joe escaped from the carton! More pics of his first adventures later!

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 7:50 am

Yay! hes out! bounce bounce

Sabotage
Gunner Munro

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Yay! hes out! bounce bounce

Run Forrest, Run !! lol!
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 pm

He looks so relieved, ...but now that I can see it even more clearly, that damned floppy hat has got to GO!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 3:34 am

LeStryge wrote:
He looks so relieved, ...but now that I can see it even more clearly, that damned floppy hat has got to GO!

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24h
"Now that's what I call a hat!"

- - - - - -
- - - - - -

It's unboxing time!

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24a
"eBay parcel? What are we looking at here?"

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24b
"The seller probably spent more on bubble wrap than this bloke is worth!"

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24c
"Nothin' beats a good slouch hat for hiding an ugly mug!"

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24d
"Get yer hat outta yer face, mate!"

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24e
"Plenty of wire ties, but no plastic staples or elastic bands!"

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24f
"Again with the hat in yer face!"

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24g
"A ginger? Well, in't that the dinkum bizzy!"

Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 4:17 am

Every Aussie collection has to feature a "Ranga"!
(Rarely called a "ginger" here.)
PLEASE buy the Bobbsey Twins some half-way decent slouch hats!!

Last edited by LeStryge on Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prof Gangrene Fan
Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 5:50 am

SCU_HQ wrote:

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure April11

Aussie Joe escaped from the carton! More pics of his first adventures later!

YAY your Aussie Joe escaped from his box. He’ll be having action packed adventures in his little life in the future.

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 7:55 am

Yay! you picked up another one! will the Joe brothers be a force for good or evil???

Australian Jungle Fighter
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 8:56 am

Freeeeeeedom!!

That was the right move Dave! He was wasted in the box.

Something that add's to my de-carding phobia is these things...

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure May24e
"Plenty of wire ties, but no plastic staples or elastic bands!"

What sick and twisted mind invented them? They weren't around when I was a kid. They turned up just in time for me to have to deal with them as a parent....at 5.00am on a christmas morning....before I'd had any coffee... Evil or Very Mad

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 11:11 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
Something that add's to my de-carding phobia is these things...
What sick and twisted mind invented them? They weren't around when I was a kid. They turned up just in time for me to have to deal with them as a parent....at 5.00am on a christmas morning....before I'd had any coffee... Evil or Very Mad
I agree that they are a pain to remove, however don't throw them away!
Straighten 'em out and keep  'em.
They have a myriad of uses and I am always reaching for one or two to hold something together.
FAR better and much STRONGER than that flimsy single wire in a narrow little green tape sold as garden ties.

They make great hoses and connecting piped for Steampunk creations for instance, and that's but one example!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 11:56 pm

LeStryge wrote:
Straighten 'em out and keep  'em.

I have a drawer full of them! Sometimes the ties end up being more useful than whatever it was they secured.

I also save the plastic windows out of the display boxes for use as diorama windows.

Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 1:08 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I have a drawer full of them! Sometimes the ties end up being more useful than whatever it was they secured.
I also save the plastic windows out of the display boxes for use as diorama windows.
Dave, are you sure we weren't somehow separated at birth?  lol!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 4:44 am

LeStryge wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
Dave, are you sure we weren't somehow separated at birth?  lol!

That would explain the scar....

Military Police
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 12:40 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
That would explain the scar....
I always wondered about that....

PostSubject: Re: Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure   Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Figure or Guy? Musings over a Mint in Box Action Figure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Return Of G.I.Joe - 1991 - 2005 :: Classic Collection 1995 - 2004-
Jump to: