ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BAMComix's Dio building

Go down 
+9
Professor Gangrene Fan
Dreadnought
Kimono Troop Command
BAMComix
FIELD STATION 42
Gunner Munro
gibri
somekindajoe
Beatlefan
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

BAMComix's Dio building Empty
PostSubject: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 pm

I am sure there are many ways to build a diorama, and I doubt there is a "proper" way. However, as I had some spare time today I figured I would try and put a rough guide together as to how I do them Very Happy .
Rather than do it in comic form, I figured I would try and do a step by step guide that might be easier to follow, hope you guys enjoy it and find my method helpful bounce bounce .

So here we go cheers . I use my workmate (not my missus lol! ) and a board to set up my scenes on. In this guide I am setting up in my kitchen as there is a lovely double window that allows lots of natural light onto a scene. This can be both a blessing and a pain!

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00001

Using a second board stood upright I add my black sheet and pin it into place to keep it nice and tight.

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00005

The next stage is to cut down some barbecue sticks, I use these to hold my foam walls together. Cocktail sticks work just as well  Very Happy

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00007

Having cut down the sticks I place my painting as a background, I doubt in the final scene you will see much of it if any.

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00008

Using the BBQ sticks I cut down earlier I put some foam walls in place.

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00009

Then I add a couple of the 3D fish tank walls I have,

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00010

Then another two 3D walls,

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00011

Here I add a couple of fence panels and my statue (a garden light).

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00012

Next, it's time to start dressing the scene, I use plastic aquarium plants, but I am sure real plants would work just as well?

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00018

The last stage is to add the rest of my plants and then my vines, this I find really brings the whole scene together.

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00021

Okay, so we have set the scene, no we add the figures into the scene. In the following pics I have edited them to the size I want for the finished result, hope you like them. Today I am using my two other enhanced agents, Annabelle and Tami  bounce  bounce

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00022

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00027

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00034

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00038

BAMComix's Dio building DSC00041

Well that's it guys, I hope you found it useful. I use this method all the time, a method shown to me by MiskatonicNick, he was extremely helpful and patient while explaining this to me!  lol!  lol! . All my Dinosaur Valley scenes are built this way, and the best thing is I can rearrange it as many times as I need to create new scenes.

Thanks for looking  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce

gibri likes this post

Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Great guide for your dio pics Dal cheers

I'm hoping to get some dio pics done when I move and have more space so I'll be using your tips in this guide cheers cheers

BAMComix's Dio building Volgan10
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm

Beatlefan wrote:
Great guide for your dio pics Dal cheers

I'm hoping to get some dio pics done when I move and have more space so I'll be using your tips in this guide  cheers cheers

Cheers Rich! Be great too see what you come up with! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 5:12 pm

This is extremely interesting and helpful!

Three questions:

1) Do you use anything to support the background board? In this case, is it secured to the workmate bench, or does it simply lean against the kitchen wall?

2) What kind of boards are the baseboard and background board? At first it looked like cardboard, but I'm thinking it must be some kind of hardboard, a thin MDF or plywood, 1/8 or 1/4 inch maybe?

3) For this tutorial and then for the final pics with the figs, did you use any supplementary lights, or is this quick scene done entirely with natural light from the window and the kitchen overhead lights?

It seems like you have this technique down to a science, and that you can put together moderately sized dioramas like this in a fairly short time while achieving results that look quite impressive.

You must keep your supplies organized in tubs or boxes for easy access. It looks like you can take everything down in reverse order - vines in the vine box, plants in the plant box, aquarium panels, fencing, foam walls – all neatly returned to their places and put away until next time.

I'm intrigued by the idea of "pinning" the wall sections together using skewers. The holes do not really show afterward; or rather, they enhance the "aged" effect of the walls.

Using the folding Workmate bench is a practical idea. It is large and sturdy enough to support a good-sized dio, and you can set it up quickly anywhere, but it folds away compactly for storage. I may need to look in to the Workmate options further.

But first... I need to carve a couple of those archways! That's a great piece, picturesque and versatile.

Good to see that MiskatonicNick's techniques are being preserved and passed down by the "second generation."

gibri likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
This is extremely interesting and helpful!

Three questions:

1) Do you use anything to support the background board? In this case, is it secured to the workmate bench, or does it simply lean against the kitchen wall?

2) What kind of boards are the baseboard and background board? At first it looked like cardboard, but I'm thinking it must be some kind of hardboard, a thin MDF or plywood, 1/8 or 1/4 inch maybe?

3) For this tutorial and then for the final pics with the figs, did you use any supplementary lights, or is this quick scene done entirely with natural light from the window and the kitchen overhead lights?

It seems like you have this technique down to a science, and that you can put together moderately sized dioramas like this in a fairly short time while achieving results that look quite impressive.

You must keep your supplies organized in tubs or boxes for easy access. It looks like you can take everything down in reverse order - vines in the vine box, plants in the plant box, aquarium panels, fencing, foam walls – all neatly returned to their places and put away until next time.

I'm intrigued by the idea of "pinning" the wall sections together using skewers. The holes do not really show afterward; or rather, they enhance the "aged" effect of the walls.

Using the folding Workmate bench is a practical idea. It is large and sturdy enough to support a good-sized dio, and you can set it up quickly anywhere, but it folds away compactly for storage. I may need to look in to the Workmate options further.

But first... I need to carve a couple of those archways! That's a great piece, picturesque and versatile.

Good to see that MiskatonicNick's techniques are being preserved and passed down by the "second generation."

I am so pleased you found it useful Dave bounce . In answer to the questions, the board leans against the wall, the items I place in front keep it sturdy enough, I guess you could attach it to the work mate if needed, but I never do. I only use th board so I can use drawing pns to keep my black sheet tight, and the missus would ring my neck if I pushed them straight into the wall! lol!
The board I use on top of the workmate is placed on top, I use hardboard but maybe thin mdf would be sturdier? I will look into that.
All of these pics where done with natural lighting, no additional lights at this time, I will do an additional lighting guide next when I need to use to use them.

Yeah, all my odds and ends are kept in plastic tubs, for easy transport, plus it keeps the dust away. You have summed up my putting away technique too, everything comes down in reverse and stored away until next time cheers .
the pinning of the foamboards does leave small holes, probably why cocktails are easier to use as they leave smaller holes? but yeah, the larger holes just add to the aging look.

yes, Nick was a huge influence and mentor, I learned from the master! and I am happy to pass on any tips I learned from Nick, anytime.
I hope my answes help, more to come soon! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Shocked You've shattered the illusion now! I always though Dino valley was huge! lol! lol!

A great tutorial Dal and as I've often said it's amazing how you can achieve such great results in such a small area with a few bits of scenery. cheers cheers

..I say 'few bits of scenery' but you probably cleared out the aquarium section of your local 'Pets at Home' store! lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 9:42 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
Shocked  You've shattered the illusion now! I always though Dino valley was huge! lol! lol!

A great tutorial Dal and as I've often said it's amazing how you can achieve such great results in such a small area with a few bits of scenery. cheers cheers

..I say 'few bits of scenery' but you probably cleared out the aquarium section of your local 'Pets at Home' store! lol!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy lol! I will be kicked out of the Diorama guild now then! Laughing Laughing . I did it in the hope of inspiring others to have a go! Laughing Laughing Laughing about pets at home cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 9:56 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
: ... you probably cleared out the aquarium section of your local 'Pets at Home' store!

Razz I know, right? His "jungle" seems to keep growing! Based on the prices I have seen in local pet stores, there is a small fortune invested there in plastic foliage! The end result is certainly worth the cost, though!

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 5:44 am

Thanks for all the pics and information, Dal, this will be very helpful.

I have a couple of those workmates and they are great for all kinds of projects and when I bought mine a few years ago not costly at all. I'm sure I paid less than $20 and I'm thinking closer to $15.

Love seeing the set-up pics, saved you at lease a thousand words of explanation... Laughing Rolling Eyes tongue

Some long time ago a hobby store was having a sale on matte board sheets. I stocked up on a few for school projects and for mounting pictures and have ended up using them for backdrops -- work a treat. Use the model railroad backdrop pictures and the aquarium backdrop too. All seem to help with different stories.

Love the aquarium plants, the colors are great and very exotic.

Thanks!
cheers bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 7:42 am

gibri wrote:
Thanks for all the pics and information, Dal, this will be very helpful.

I have a couple of those workmates and they are great for all kinds of projects and when I bought mine a few years ago not costly at all. I'm sure I paid less than $20 and I'm thinking closer to $15.

Love seeing the set-up pics, saved you at lease a thousand words of explanation... Laughing Rolling Eyes tongue

Some long time ago a hobby store was having a sale on matte board sheets. I stocked up on a few for school projects and for  mounting pictures and have ended up using them for backdrops -- work a treat. Use the model railroad backdrop pictures and the aquarium backdrop too. All seem to help with different stories.

Love the aquarium plants, the colors are great and very exotic.

Thanks!
cheers bounce cheers

Cheers Bri! really pleased it helped! The best thing about it, is you can put it all away and of course change the scene constantly bounce Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gunner Munro
Arctic Explorer
Gunner Munro

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Loved this Post Dal,
thanks so much ...I'm inspired .. especially as the weather is stopping me getting out into the Garden for some shoots Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Gunner Munro wrote:
Loved this Post Dal,
thanks so much ...I'm inspired .. especially as the weather is stopping me getting out into the Garden for some shoots Rolling Eyes

That's fantastic Steve! I am so happy you found it useful bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Clever , yet very simple.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:

i agree! it can spoil the effect to over think these things bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 6:04 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:

I can attest to the validity of this statement. I always over-think, and as a result, I never even get started. Sad

Kimono Troop Command likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:

I can attest to the validity of this statement. I always over-think, and as a result, I never even get started. Sad

Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt.
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog
Flock Head
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Oh man! Dal, I didn't realise your Dino Valley was this ummm 'small'.

It seems we do something similar. I keep my dio interchangeable, in that I have different walls that I can pull in or out of a dio at will. Some with windows some without. I suppose when I can post pics direct from flickr in a week or so, I'll start uploading some of my processes for dios.

I assume BAM HQ isn't so flexible? I am guessing that the bar is more of a permanent feature. How does the missus react to all this?
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 4:00 pm

londonroadhog wrote:
Oh man! Dal, I didn't realise your Dino Valley was this ummm 'small'.

It seems we do something similar. I keep my dio interchangeable, in that I have different walls that I can pull in or out of a dio at will. Some with windows some without. I suppose when I can post pics direct from flickr in a week or so, I'll start uploading some of my processes for dios.

I assume BAM HQ isn't so flexible? I am guessing that the bar is more of a permanent feature. How does the missus react to all this?

Yeah, the whole valley set is inter changeable as I need it, to leave it standing would need some serious space, which I don't have.
Yeah, once your waiting period is up it will be great too see your dio process too, I am sure lots of guys here would be interested in how you set yours up.
lol! lol! lol! Yeah, the bar, jakes study and the bedroom I built are freestancding dioramas. I have them set up in our spare room, Louise is really cool with me having the spare room, I guess it helps that she collects Barbies so she understands the hobby bounce bounce bounce

londonroadhog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 pm

That's what I gotta find....a girlfriend who collects Barbies...or even Teddy Bears.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 5:33 pm

Very nice walk through of how you do it Dal. Smile

You achieve great effects with this set up !!

Kev.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Dreadnought wrote:

cheers Kev! It's surprising what you can do with a few bits and bobs bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 6:46 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:

cheers Kev! It's surprising what you can do with a few bits and bobs bounce bounce

That’s true.

Flock Head
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:

Yeah, the whole valley set is inter changeable as I need it, to leave it standing would need some serious space, which I don't have.
Yeah, once your waiting period is up it will be great too see your dio process too, I am sure lots of guys here would be interested in how you set yours up.
lol! lol! lol! Yeah, the bar, jakes study and the bedroom I built are freestancding dioramas. I have them set up in our spare room, Louise is really cool with me having the spare room, I guess it helps that she collects Barbies so she understands the hobby bounce bounce bounce

Sounds great. Everything I have has to be limited to the attic. My wife only collects dead people (genealogy), so that doesn’t take up a lot of room, just on her laptop. We’ve had a son move out this last weekend, but of course, I won’t be able to use that room for dios. Wish I could.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 9:15 am

Great stuff!

One question, what did you use for the fence?

Daryl

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 3:28 pm

You have some awesome talent Dal! I see lots of talent on this forum.. cheers cheers cheers

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BAMComix's Dio building   BAMComix's Dio building Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BAMComix's Dio building
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next