ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ace In The Hole

Go down 
+4
Kimono Troop Command
BAMComix
gibri
FIELD STATION 42
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 11:05 pm

This is my Nam Grenadier . His Weapon is the M79 grenade launcher , other nicknames for the weapon were the Blooper , Thumper , Big Ed , and Elephant gun amongst others . The M79 could fire different types of rounds including , smoke , buckshot , anti personnel and fletchette rounds , The Fletchette rounds were similar to the Buckshot but contained thousands of tiny dart shaped metal filings , these were more effective in close combat situations against enemy troops .
         The Afro Americans during the Nam were often referred to as Bloods , they liked to smoke menthol cigarettes , so the pack of cools in his helmet band is quite historical . I nicknamed my Grenadier " Ace in the hole " , Ace for short .The saying means to have a hidden advantage or to have some more GO left , just when your opponent thinks they have nailed you . It comes from the card game known as Stud Poker .

P1100500

P1100482

P1100484

P1100489

P1100497

P1100499

P1100506

P1100508

P1100510

P1100512

P1100515

P1100523

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 11:44 pm

Nicely posed to really show off all the gear! All that canvas looks totally cool. Or Kool! Razz

The supplies stashed in the helmet band look great. The painting on the helmet looks in-scale and authentic.

I'm curious how you light these "portrait shots." Are you using an umbrella light or a lamp with a diffuser to get the even clear lighting?

And what lens set-up are you using for these pics? (Now that I know you're in to serious photography I might harass you with gear and technique questions from time to time!)

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 12:33 am

Hi Dave thanks for the kind comments .

As for the photography side of things , I am no expert but happy to help if I can . I use two of these for lighting , on two table top tripods , they charge from any USB 3 port , so I plug them into my P.C when surfing or editing photos , you can adjust the brightness , and warmth / tone . If you copy and paste they should come up on Amazon .

LED Video Light, RALENO Dimmable Bi-color 3200-5600k Panel Light, Built-in 5000mA Li-ion Battery,CRI95+, 104 Led Camera Light with Hot Shoe Mount and USB Charger for All DSRL Cameras and Camcorders

There may well be better alternatives out there now . As for the camera / lens , I normally use a Panasonic FZ.150 Bridge Camera quite old now , and not my Canon stuff we chatted about . It`s what I keep near me in the house generally , for those odd opportunistic photos ...like the cat . Very Happy

I hope that helps a little .

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 3:53 am

Chip wrote:
I normally use a Panasonic FZ.150  Bridge Camera quite old now....

Thanks for the info.

I do most of my figure photography with a Panasonic Lumix TS5 point-n-shoot pocket camera. Easy to use, easy to adjust, durable, and performs adequately in low-light. So yes, I, too, am a fan of Panasonic cameras for figure photography.

Admin
gibri

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 4:02 am

Yet another great figure, Chip!!!

Like Dave said in a previous thread, I really like learning the historical context of the figures you have done. Very interesting to learn about the units, gear and anecdotes about them.

After finishing a figure, taking the next step and photo documenting them will really make a difference especially when a few years later you want to see the figure but don't want to search through all the boxes to find it. Or worse, you didn't think it was a keeper and broke it all down only later to want to see it again.

Well done and great work with the photo documentation!!!

cheers bounce cheers
Back to top Go down

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 4:51 am

gibri wrote:
 Or worse, you didn't think it was a keeper and broke it all down only later to want to see it again.
Surely these masterpieces of research and superb attention to detail would never be "broken down"?  No
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 5:09 am

LeStryge wrote:
gibri wrote:
 Or worse, you didn't think it was a keeper and broke it all down only later to want to see it again.
Surely these masterpieces of research and superb attention to detail would never be "broken down"?  No

Surely not! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry if that was the take-away from my comment. I was really only thinking of some things I myself have done.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 8:14 am

Another fab looking figure! Love the artwork on his helmet! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Thanks again for all the kind comments , much appreciated . bounce

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 4:42 pm

Wow! Great looking combat soldier! cheers cheers cheers
Thumper... lol! I can see why! cheers

Mountaineer
Rustygun

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 6:38 am

Another great figure...

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for the further comments chaps . Very Happy

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 12:39 pm

He is one tough looking dude! Nice detail!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ace In The Hole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace In The Hole    Ace In The Hole  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ace In The Hole
Page 1 of 1