ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rock and Roll conversion

Go down 
+2
Professor Gangrene Fan
TNshooter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

Rock and Roll conversion Empty
PostSubject: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 am

This has been my most intensive conversion yet. I had a Classic Collection body that apparently had seen
very little play. The joints are still tight, which is what I needed for the project I had in mind. The body had
protuding heels, which I found don't fit in the Hall of Fame boots. A few years ago I had a couple of mail-in
Cobra soldier uniforms I had picked up, and when I decided to put them on Classic Collection bodies, the boots
wouldn't fit due to the protuding heels. So I had to cut them down to fit.

Rock and Roll conversion R-n-r_10
Rock and Roll conversion R-n-r_11

I used my hobby dremel to grind them down. I admit it's not pretty, but was necessary for the feet to fit the boots.

Also, this figure had a "tattoo" on his arm. I used 400 grit wet sandpaper to remove it, since nail polish remover and
lighter fluid had little effect. But I still had some paint in the grooves of his muscular arms, so I used a plastic brush
on my dremel to get it out, but it chewed up the plastic more than I expected. I probably should have left it there.

Rock and Roll conversion R-n-r_12
Rock and Roll conversion R-n-r_13

Again, not very pretty, but since Rock and Roll has a short sleeved shirt it would cover it. Plus I had removed the head
at this point.
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks for sharing your Rock and Roll conversation with us. You’v definitely done a lot of grinding and wet sandpapering. I actually liked the tattoo he had on his arm. I’m really looking forward to seeing more pictures of your converted Rock and Roll.

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 8:45 am

This has gotten the body ready for the transfer.

I originally got the small joe the 1/6 scale was based on years ago when I first started collecting
and couldn't find the 1/6 scale figures I had as a child. So I collected the small joes first. The small
joe had two gatling tying machine guns, which I thought was nice. So when Hasbro made the 1/6
scale version with only one, he seemed a bit "under-gunned" to me.

Rock and Roll conversion Origin11
Rock and Roll conversion Small_10

I wanted to make the 1/6 scale figure like the smaller one. It took some time for me to get the parts, that matched, due to
the fact that they were made in different color combinations. The 1/6 figure of course came with the spring-loaded
missile launcher attachment that Hasbro put on just about all of the Hall of Fame figures. The smaller joe had a
rifle with a scope attached to his leg, it would have been nice since the 1/6 scale only had one gatling style gun to
have had that extra item.

TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 8:50 am

Anyway, here is the finished figure. Considering the work on the donor body, it me some time to put
him together. Plus, the original figure's backpack was made for one ammo belt, so I had to do some
thinking on how to attach two.

Rock and Roll conversion R-n-r_14
Rock and Roll conversion Small_11
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 8:56 am

Wow I’m just totally loving the finished converted Rock and Roll figure TNshooter. He looks ready for action.

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 9:05 am

Rock and Roll conversion R-n-r_16
Rock and Roll conversion Small_13

I like the way he turned out. It's exactly as I pictured him when I first thought of the idea. It took a bit more work than
I thought, but that makes it more rewarding to get what I was after. I think the 1/6 scale version looks better than the
original small version.

I hope you like him,

Daryl

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 9:26 am

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
Wow I’m just totally loving the finished converted Rock and Roll figure TNshooter. He looks ready for action.

Thanks Alexander!

Daryl

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 9:49 am

Very cool! I have fond memories of those smaller joes! I have a few myself. Rock & Roll came out fantastic! I wouldn't worry to much about the chewed up parts, as you said, they can't be seen anyway! Top work! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks Dal!

Daryl

Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Looks superb Daryl , well done .

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Whoa! Boss awesome looking fig! Love the twin gatling guns with the outrageous ammo belts! What a fun custom!

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 4:25 am

Thanks Chip and SCU_HQ! I'm glad you guys like him.

Daryl

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 5:03 am

I have several of the exact same figure you started with, and I must admit I too have struggled in the past with both tattoo removal and also facial camouflage on others.
Do NOT be tempted to use acetone as I have seen suggested elsewhere as it actually dissolves the plastic and leaves a huge mess.
I know this from bitter experience!
Due to the composition of the plastic, (which is somewhere between hard and soft), sanding really does not work either, just roughing up the area as you show.
I have no idea what sort of paint was used back then, but it sure is difficult to remove, not responding to any of the common solvents I've tried.
Still, your final figure turned out commendably, and as you say, any damage is not visible.
I'm guessing this one is a "keeper" and you won't be re-cycling him at any time in the future anyway?
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 8:42 am

LeStryge wrote:

Due to the composition of the plastic, (which is somewhere between hard and soft), sanding really does not work either, just roughing up the area as you show.
I have no idea what sort of paint was used back then, but it sure is difficult to remove, not responding to any of the common solvents I've tried.
Still, your final figure turned out commendably, and as you say, any damage is not visible.
I'm guessing this one is a "keeper" and you won't be re-cycling him at any time in the future anyway?

Hi LeStryge,

The sanding didn't do any damage, as I used super fine grit, but the plastic brush on my dremel kept bouncing around, and it
caused more damage than I expected. But luckily the sleeve of the shirt covers it up.

He is definitely a "keeper," I have wanted to outfit him this way for a long time. I have absolutely no plans of re-cycling him.
If a day comes to let him go, he will go as is. I will never change him from the way he is right now.

I take it you like him, and if so I greatly appreciate it. He was more work than I expected, but I'm pleased with the way he
turned out.

Daryl

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Of course I like him! cheers
It's always great to see a long-planned project brought to a successful conclusion as you have done with this bloke.
Interesting that you used a smaller figure as a reference point. 
I have a couple of those Gatling guns too but as yet have not used them for any purpose, other than trying out a few photos of my cowboy playing around with them.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks LeStryge! I'm glad you like him. And this has been a LONG-planned project. I had this idea since
I've had him, which has been close to 30 years!

The smaller figure was made first. The 1/6 version was based on him. But what I liked about the smaller
figure was the fact he had two of the guns. Some major firepower!

If you have two of the guns, along with the ammo belts and backpack, you could put it on any figure.
You could make a custom MAM as a heavy machine gunner.

Daryl

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 am

I COULD!
What a great idea!
I'm always looking for inspiration!
Thanks!  cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 7:19 am

LeStryge,

If you use your guns on a custom, I would love to see it!

Daryl

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Wow he looks great Daryl... cheers
Superb job! Very Happy

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks Jim!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll conversion   Rock and Roll conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock and Roll conversion
Page 1 of 1