ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bricks Tutorial

Go down 
+2
TNshooter
RealSarahdactyl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 7:08 am

I hope this is the right place for this. TNshooter mentioned wanting to have a diorama to share the figures and to use in stories. I put this tutorial on Men With Dolls (Dedicated Female figures forum) back in the summer. I wanted to share it with you guys. In case brick walls would help with your dioramas or stories.

This isn't my most recent brick wall, just the first one I did so it looks different to my recently post. The thing is, you just have to pick earthy natural colours and play with them to make what looks good to you. Black, white, greys, reds and browns and you're set. I use the cheap Walmart paint, 0.97 cents a bottle isn't bad. Especially when fine detail isn't a big deal, and you're using lots.

So first I start with my foam. I've recently used the 1/2 inch by 2 feet by 8 feet. I measure my bricks out, you can pick different measurements, basically pick a real life dimension and divide the width and height by six.

First You want to score the pattern. This is time consuming. Start by using a sharp blade like exacto or utility blades. Then take something like a pen, or a sharpened pencil and run it along the lines, To widen the mortar lines. When you're satisfied with the brick textures you can dent in bricks, chip at the lines, roll Something like crumpled tinfoil over it to create texture. Next is paint.
Bricks Tutorial  20200611

For these bricks, this is what I used. I first give it a heavy coat of grey. You can work it into the lines with a brush, really cover the surface nicely. 

Bricks Tutorial  20200610

Then you mix your reds and browns, maybe a dash of white, black, whatever. Not to go full Bob Ross here, but this is your brick wall, pretty bricks on a pretty wall, just paint all those lovely bricks in all the colours you love. This is all about how you feel about your bricks!😊

Bricks Tutorial  20200612
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 7:13 am

Here are a few more pictures. Basically its just playing with it. You can get cheap sponges and brushes in places like Walmart or the Dollar shops. Maybe Asda or Pounding for you folks across the Atlantic. Using watered down blacks and browns and smearing it about with a paper towel can help too. I didn't do too much of that with this wall. I'm happy to add to this thread And will monitor it of you guys have questions. If I can help I will, and of anyone has any advice or tips, feel free to join in!

Bricks Tutorial  20200615
Bricks Tutorial  20200614
Bricks Tutorial  Img_2026

Last edited by RealSarahdactyl on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 7:15 am

You can also do cinder blocks, just adjust the size and shape! Also the colours, typically conderblocks stay looking cleaner. But you could also use them for a castle.or a dungeon if you like!

Bricks Tutorial  20200713
Bricks Tutorial  20200714
Bricks Tutorial  20200712
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 7:18 am

Bricks Tutorial  20200716
Bricks Tutorial  20200715
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 7:58 am

Thank you RealSarahdactyl!

I can imagine cutting the shape of the bricks or cinderblock can take some time.

Two questions, what kind of board are you using? Is it standard styrofoam or something else?

Second, how are you getting the dark lines in the cinderblock? Is it from the pen or pencil?

Thank you a lot for posting this tutorial.

Daryl

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 7:59 am

Very cool stuff Sarah! the walls look amazing!
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 am

TNshooter, you're welcome! Best advice I can give with cutting the lines. Start simple. If you get thicker foam, like one inch. You can do brick on one side and cinder block on the other. You can use cinder block to start as it is probably easier, bigger bricks and a less colours. Consistency is key and just taking your time ans not scoring too deep. The darker colour in the lines is achieved by either wedging paint in there with a brush? Or just doing a wash over the whole board with diluted black paint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-FOAMULAR-1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-R-5-Small-Projects-Rigid-Pink-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730

This is the board, that denser packed foam! Feel free to ask any questions you might have about walls and I will try to help!

Thank you so much BAM!
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 pm

Great stuff Sarah. Thanks for the tutorial. I really like the way you build things.

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 pm

Wow thanks for the thread RealSarahdactyl....Cool! Cool No beyond cool
that is awesome! cheers

Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks Kimono Troop Command! I wanted to share this so that others can make it. Really thr most expensive part is the foam. 

Inmtruderr61, thank you! cheers I'm glad tou liked it!
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 am

Really nice work!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

cheers bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 3:17 am

You're welcome Gibri!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bricks Tutorial  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bricks Tutorial    Bricks Tutorial  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bricks Tutorial
Page 1 of 1