ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What year do you set your scenarios in ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

What year do you set your scenarios in ? Empty
PostSubject: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 4:43 pm

I’m wondering what year do you set your scenarios in ?

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 4:56 pm

I'm sort of vague on that except to say that it's in the not-too distant future.  Originally, I loosely pinned myself down to the 2030's or so, but now that my scenarios are integrated with Dal's BAM universe, I'm more vague than ever.

Notwithstanding this, most of my figures have a something of a retro look, going back to the 1940's through to the 1970's or thereabouts.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
...most of my figures have a something of a retro look, going back to the 1940's through to the 1970's or thereabouts.  

Same here. Most of my characters act like "present day," but their references and technology and such are 1920s - 1970s, with some retro-futurism thrown in. So, like K-Troop, kind of a near-future post-apocalyptic yet overall hopeful and positive world that is somehow stuck in the late-1950s. Which makes no sense at all... but it's fun.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Have you ever seen the animated series "Archer?" The  characters talk and mostly dress like today, but fly in Boeing 707 jets, carry Walther PPK's and the Soviet union still exists.  Interior decor is mid-century modern and computers look like they came out of the 1980's or 1990's.  

Same idea really. Everything is out of time-sync.  Lot's of anachronism.  Kamiko has a 1940's phone. Glynnis wears carries a Thompson SMG and wears a style of Sun Helmet that was discontinued in the British army after 1947. Most of K-Troop dresses as though they were in a 60's or 70's James Bond film.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 8:21 pm

Most of K-Troop dresses as though they were in a 60's or 70's James Bond film.

Exactly, an era when the world was exciting and glamorous... or at least, it was portrayed as such, and we could kinda believe such a lifestyle might be possible.

I've heard many references and recommendations about Archer from a number of people over the years, but I've never seen an episode. I really need to check it out. Apparently Venture Brothers is similar in nature, and SeaLab 2021 (which I have seen).

This discussion gave me an idea... a pretty silly idea, but one that would have appealed to me when I was a kid... that I may try to integrate in to my installments in the group story. (Note to self: write it down before you forget!  scratch )

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 pm

"Archer" is absolutely hilarious, goofy and fun. The mid-century era was glamorous when you look back on it. When you flew on a Boeing-707 or on a DC-8 you dressed up...wore a suit and tie...even if you were just 8 years old. It was special. We had "stewardesses," not "Flight Attendants." Nowadays when flying people dress as though they were riding on a bus.

I was just a kid back then, but when I look back on it, the furniture, the look, the clothing styles ...were all just so much cooler than today. They toys were great.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 1:43 am

The mid-century era was glamorous when you look back on it.  When you flew on a Boeing-707 or on a DC-8 you dressed up...wore a suit and tie...even if you were just 8 years old. It was special. We had "stewardesses," not "Flight Attendants."  Nowadays when flying people dress as though they were riding on a bus.

I was just a kid back then, but when I look back on it, the furniture, the look, the clothing styles ...were all just so much cooler than today. They toys were great.  

I've told my spouse that the next time I fly... which I do not really care if I ever do again, frankly, so it would be more accurate to say "In the unlikely event that I ever fly again," I intend to wear a suit and necktie, and to carry a hard-sided suitcase. Just because I'm tired of the whole airplane experience being so slovenly.

But back then, the planes actually had a reasonable amount of space between seats, even though overall people were much more slim than they are today.

My brother has mentioned to me several times over the past few years that "we had the best toys when we were kids! Hey, GI Joe (or Action Man in other countries) was introduced during those years!

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 4:31 am

In the late 60's, as the Vietnam war was getting more and more unpopular, what was capturing everyone's imagination was the moon race, even though both the moon race and the war in Vietnam were tied together by a common thread called "The Cold War." The space race caught the attention and imagination of toy manufacturers as well. My first GI Joe came with the space suit and space capsule. I also had a USMC dress blue set and a frogman set. The capsule was great. I took it into the bathtub, the swimming pool, everywhere.

I also had a Billy Blastoff set, with not one, but two Billy Blastoffs and all sorts of accessories. I had one of the figures from the Major Matt Mason set also, though not the Major himself. My cousin Marc got that that one. We also both had Mattel Space helmets, bought on an extended family trip to Virginia Beach in 1968. My Halloween costume in 1969 was a space suit made from a pattern, and my Mattel space helmet.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1168915537677&set=a.1156106297454

Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 8:48 am

I set my scenarios in modern year.

PostSubject: Re: What year do you set your scenarios in ?   What year do you set your scenarios in ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What year do you set your scenarios in ?
Page 1 of 1