ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

POTF 2: Who was your first?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandontheFigureFreak
Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

POTF 2: Who was your first? Empty
PostSubject: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 6:28 am

Mine was none other than Boba Fett! I was really, really stoked when I found him in early 1996 at a local Wal-Mart not to mention a new SW series in figure form in about a decade  Shocked This was such a great time to be a Star Wars fan before the prequels as I loved the prequels of the future but gosh, the rejuvenation of SW by Galoob's Micro Machines & Hasbro's Power of the Force 2 and the whole Expanded Universe as a whole was just the best times of SW and the absolute best era to be a SW fan IMO. It was before all of this Disney takeover and thus making all of the coolest & best things that I loved like Shadows of the Empire & Dark Forces freakin' LEGENDS!!!!! Ah, I'll just save this rant for a later time. Anyway, here is a few pics I took of Boba Fett Exclamation

POTF 2: Who was your first? Boba_f10
POTF 2: Who was your first? Boba_f12
POTF 2: Who was your first? Boba_f15
POTF 2: Who was your first? Boba_f14

For comparisons, memory lane for collectors & for noobs who want to get in on the greatness of SW's past, here is Boba with one My favorite versions of 89 Batman & the original Gorilla Alien/Xenomorph, both are from Kenner's great action figure lines (got them in 90 & 92 respectively). I loved Kenner, they made so many great figures during the "true" time of action figures but they were bought-out along with Tonka in 1991 by Hasbro hence the co-maker of the series POTF 2!

POTF 2: Who was your first? Boba_f13

I hope you enjoyed this Very Happy

So, do guys have your first? Share your memory of whom WAS YOUR FIRST POTF 2 figure(s) ans via a pic(s) if possible with your thoughts Smile

Remember: It is imperative to Look Back - The Past is not a Wilderness of Horrors - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing - Never judge a book by it's cover - DTA - Appearances are deceiving, everything We know may not be true, We are only beginning to learn - Always Watch the Skies - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - Research & Question Everything = Various <-->

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.Don't have one,don't need one!.com
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 6:44 am

Ah yes, the days when one of the debates was over which version of Fett was less common, full circles on the back of the hand or a half circle on the back of the hands.

I don't remember now which was the more sought after variant.

Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 5:05 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Ah yes, the days when one of the debates was over which version of Fett was less common, full circles on the back of the hand or a half circle on the back of the hands.

I don't remember now which was the more sought after variant.

Cool post dude. Yes, I remember that and I think it was the half circle which was the rarer version.

Ok guys, who else Question This is such a cool topic and sure we're not alone here Rolling Eyes Come on guys, share your memories Very Happy

Remember: It is imperative to Look Back - The Past is not a Wilderness of Horrors - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing - Never judge a book by it's cover - DTA - Appearances are deceiving, everything We know may not be true, We are only beginning to learn - Always Watch the Skies - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - Research & Question Everything = Various <-->
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:01 am

When I had a Boba Fett figure, it was a mail-in in the '70's.

It was originally advertised as having a firing backpack rocket.
I think there may have been a handful that did, but rare.

But if I'm wrong, then I got what was finally produced, a non-firing
version.

Nowhere near as pose-able as the one you have pictured.

Daryl

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:13 am

I remember Lando and Leia being "short stocked" in many shipments, and bringing a considerable premium over retail on eBay. And there were variants, of course: big head Leia and small head Leia, half circle or full circle Lando, backer cards with .00 or .01 – all manner of nonsense. A friend and I made a habit of hitting every store selling toys in the area where we lived, and any likely shops we ran across while traveling, looking for "rare" Star Wars POTF2 figures. We both ended up with two or three enormous storage boxes of figures. We figured we'd pack them away in our closets and wait to cash in.

We waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Turns out that pretty much the only people buying POTF2 figures were adult collectors looking to cash in. Seems like every figure purchased was kept mint-in-package.

Years later, the stupid things were still worth far less than original retail on eBay. In fact, loose figures sometimes sold for more than boxed figures. Nobody wanted to open a boxed figure, but they'd buy them loose to play with or make dioramas with or whatever.

My friend found a Lando, a relatively rare figure, at one point and was going to send it to me, but he never got around to it. Periodically, I would ask him, "hey, where's my Lando?" For years afterward, one or the other of us would occasionally work a "where's my Lando" reference in to our conversations. Those Lando figure jokes were worth more than the figure ever was.

Of course, I haven't checked prices on POTF Lando figs lately. For all I know, they might pay for a term in college these days.

(Out of curiosity, I just checked. Nope. Mint on Card POTF2 Lando brings ten bucks on a good day. You need an original 1970s Kenner version to be in the money, and even then, $200 for a minty-mint perfect carded toy from the 1970s isn't exactly an impressive sum.)

We eventually both dumped our collections... more like hoards or stashes... on eBay in bulk lots for what little we could get. Some of 'em we donated to charity shops or tossed in the trash because they wouldn't sell for enough to cover shipping and eBay fees. Or we'd sit around the fire pit in the back yard, sipping a beer, and tossing another POTF fig on the barbie while talking about how stupid we'd been. (Yeah, seriously, we did that.)

And after that... I never looked at another toy for years. I was done with "collecting." That stupid Star Wars POTF debacle was sobering, and I felt stupid. Super stupid, because I didn't even like the things. I thought most of them were pretty ugly. I didn't even have the remotest desire to unbox them and play with them. They did not inspire me to build dioramas or take pictures or anything. Those boxes of Star Wars figures showed me the futility of "buying toys for profit."

Coulda been worse, I suppose. I coulda been dropping the big bucks on Beanie Babies! Razz

Last week I ran across a mint-in-box Monster High doll among my stuff. When new, all the way back around 2013 - 2015 (this one was a 2015 release), they cost about $15 in stores, sometimes less on sale. To my surprise, the fig was bringing pretty good prices on eBay. I listed the fig as an auction, and it sold for $110 USD! Unfortunately, I did not have the same luck with my Star Wars POTF "investment."

It's the stuff you never expect to appreciate that ends up becoming valuable. It's almost guaranteed, if you buy a toy for "investment" rather than for "enjoyment," you'll get stung.

Anyway, those POTF2 figs from the mid-1990s put me off of collecting and photography for a lot of years. It was the discovery of an entirely new, unrelated miniature toy line in 2005 that resulted in my interest in action figures and dioramas that continues today... but that would be taking this discussion too far off topic.

I don't know which line this Fett fig is from - not POTF 2 - but he looks pretty cool packing a Tommy gun, don't'cha think?

POTF 2: Who was your first? 4607968790_67eeffb9e1_z

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 am

You want to see some SERIOUS prices?
Why the hell didn't I stock up on early G.I.Joes?
Now THOSE things have really appreciated in value!
Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:25 am

TNshooter wrote:
When I had a Boba Fett figure, it was a mail-in in the '70's.

It was originally advertised as having a firing backpack rocket.
I think there may have been a handful that did, but rare.

But if I'm wrong, then I got what was finally produced, a non-firing
version.

Nowhere near as pose-able as the one you have pictured.

Daryl

Hey TNShooter, thanks for the reply Very Happy You be talkin' about the vintage Boba Fett by Kenner (way before the Hasbro takeover) and I do believe he did have a shooting rocket feature. I chose My version because I thought its rather recent and it would a good & fun conversation Smile

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:27 am

LeStryge wrote:
You want to see some SERIOUS prices?
Why the hell didn't I stock up on early G.I.Joes?

Oh, man, I know, right? You mean the little guys from the 1980s, right? When Joe came back as a 3-3/4 inch version? And they wouldn't have taken up very much space.

I still almost cry remembering a yard sale I went to where a guy was selling his entire collection for a dollar apiece, or less if you bought multiples. They were loose figures, but he had every figure bagged with its original accessories and the I.D. card from the package back. It was not too long after that when the prices began to appreciate dramatically.

Yeah, I have a few stories of blatant stupidity regarding things I passed by at yard sales. Crying or Very sad

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:33 am

POTF 2: Who was your first? 5527250511_d24760c740_z

In 2011 Hasbro re-issued the "Rocket-Firing Boba Fett" as a mail-away offer: only $6.99, which included shipping.

They routinely sell for anywhere between $90 and $175 today for in-box examples.

I think I sold mine for $20 or $25 years ago, which seemed like a pretty good return on investment at the time.

Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 6:54 am

Wow SCU, you really posted here haven't you Laughing Thanks for you stories, now this is what I'm talkin' about. What memories you have about yourself & your friend and all your investments Shocked That Boba with the T-Gun is really cool Cool I did find some 80s joes at some yard sales in the very early 90s. I got what they had but they weren't mint and complete like that but they were some that eluded Me years prior. Thanks for all of that info and everything else dude bounce

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 7:07 am

I don't think I have any POTF2 figures anymore, but I kept Lando's cape, because it was pretty cool... and because it fit my iCarly Fashion Switch Carly figure:

POTF 2: Who was your first? 4691711005_94b69453ae_z
iCarny

Embarassed

Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 am

Shame SCU tat you don't have anymore but at the same time you got a special gift for you iCarly, she is very cool there, amazing how it fits her Shocked

Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 11:38 am

I just found Boba's blister card-back, that is one thing I absolutely loved about the line back then was the really cool cards. There was such a special aspect of them to Me. I loved the color and feel of them and they didn't seem cheap to Me and just not another Kenner/Hasbro line and that is WAS INDEED Star Wars!

POTF 2: Who was your first? Boba_f16

Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Canadian Mounted Police
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 10:51 am

Ok, so thought I'd share this. Here is My Darth Vader. He was My second POT2 figure ever! I took pics of him as well as his great and classic looking card. He is a really good version but not the absolute best IMO. His lightsaber is from a different Vader from many years later however as I couldn't find his original one. Take a gander at the pics Smile

POTF 2: Who was your first? Darth_11
POTF 2: Who was your first? Darth_10POTF 2: Who was your first? Darth_12

Boba and Vader together Surprised One thing I loved about some of the line was scale between some of the figures which I have always loved realistic stature such as "real scale"/"real heights" as opposed to every character being the same height & size when one is supposed to be five foot something and the other close to seven feet Exclamation

POTF 2: Who was your first? Darth_13

That's all for now, I hope this brought back some good memories for you guys, I think that's all for a while on this topic from Me but you never know I might post some more in the future, in the mean time comments please and till then I'll see you around Cool

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POTF 2: Who was your first?   POTF 2: Who was your first? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

POTF 2: Who was your first?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Ammo Off Scale :: 3-3/4 inch / 1/18 Figures-
Jump to: