ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.

Go down 
+4
Chip
BAMComix
Rogue-Trooper
Professor Gangrene Fan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Empty
PostSubject: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. C9-BBD316-62-F5-425-D-B741-F39-E7-C5-BE989
The original idea was a ply insert to the shelf, that could be removed. This would allow for alternative inserts with different scenes. This didn’t work because it was too flimsy and removing it would wreck the scenery structure. It did however provide a good base for the next layer to stick to. (The slot at the top back is for future led lighting.)

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. 41-ABB053-F89-D-4-D3-E-8882-4-BB245-DF1303

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. 8-CB9764-E-13-A9-4021-9313-863409607-AD0
The initial idea was to use a decorators foaming sealant to creat the scenery structure. It was easy, light, cheap but unfortunately didn’t look very cave like. We couldn’t think of what to coat it with to improve the appearance - pause for six weeks of angst with several options considered including throwing away and starting again and suggesting that we didn’t want a cave anyway!

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. 2-D69603-E-6357-4-A07-BAE4-7-D5-A8-AA6-EF6-F
We spotted this on Amazon. It seems to be an advanced papier-mâché - stickier, stronger and quicker to use. We could also use with poster paints, which are water based, cheap, easy to mix and use. We felt that it would not be flexible enough to make as a removable insert so it was screwed in place.

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. 912-D3-CA6-A95-C-4-AAA-8-AE1-CDD9-F239103-A
This is after the first coat. Just the effect we wanted. Furthermore the accidental splatter on the “floor” was the effect we wanted. The complete coating was about eight  sessions of 10 mins, over two days. We used our fingers, in surgical gloves, to spread the modelling compound. The main problem was how quickly the it set. We had two bags and one set in less than 5 minutes. I suspect it was old stock.

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. 96-D2-E5-E5-00-FF-430-D-9-D4-B-E50-AD4-C7-FCC0

This is it painted. We waited about 2 days before it was completely it was painted in two coats. The main problem was little voids in the surface that showed up as the paint dried, so another two touch ups was required.

The whole thing is quite robust and will stand a few knocks without damage.

Green Beret
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 2:45 pm

Brilliant tutorial cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 2:46 pm

Rogue-Trooper wrote:
Brilliant tutorial cheers

Thanks Cool Chris. It was my dad who typed up the tutorial.

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 2:52 pm

i agree! very clever stuff and expertly executed! It looks absolutely fantastic! bounce bounce bounce

Last edited by Blondeactionman on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 2:54 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
i agree! very clever stuff and expertly executed! It looks absolutely fantastic! bounce bounce bounce

Thanks for your comments Dal.

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 pm

Nice of you to share with us Alex .

Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Chip wrote:
Nice of you to share with us Alex .

It’s no problem Chip.

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 6:13 pm

Nice work, Alex and Other Dave! Very clear description and work-in-progress photos! You guys knew going in that we would want to know how you made this, didn't you?

I'm impressed that the cave walls are assembled on wood backer boards. I was not expecting that sort of quality.

Was the paper mache mix pressed over the expanded spray foam, or did you remove some of the spray foam first?

And designed for future expansion with interior lighting - very clever!

Great work. Thank you for sharing the step by step and clear directions!

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 6:38 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
. Was the paper mache mix pressed over the expanded spray foam, or did you remove some of the spray foam first?

We trimmed the foam a very small amount, but most of the foam was left unchanged. The whole design was by accident really but turned out quite well. The foam gives the major shape and volume, the paper mache gives the detailed shape. This means the structure is light and doesn’t crack and also dried quite quickly. As I said the rugged floor was also by accident. We’re going to use paper mache mix on the floor of the next two scenes!

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 7:45 pm

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
We’re going to use paper mache mix on the floor of the next two scenes!

Yes, the effect on the floor is quite believably realistic! I would like to try something similar to make a "natural" floor myself!

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Great tutorial and a great Dio, I'm sure it will have a lot of uses. Well Done. ;-)
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 9:48 pm

SixthShooter wrote:
Great tutorial and a great Dio, I'm sure it will have a lot of uses. Well Done. ;-)

Thank you very much for your comments SixthShooter.

Military Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 4:59 am

Thank you for the tutorial Alexander!

It turned out great.

Daryl

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 5:15 am

Excellent effort! 
Now how about a light coat of black or dark brown with a stiff brush then wipe it off the high areas while it's still wet?
 It will stay in the hollows and grooves, really bringing out the detail and provide a good shading and contrast.
Just like moss and dirt in between the rocks.
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 8:32 am

TNshooter wrote:
Thank you for the tutorial Alexander!

It turned out great.

Daryl

Thank you very much for comments Daryl.

Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 am

LeStryge wrote:
Excellent effort! 
Now how about a light coat of black or dark brown with a stiff brush then wipe it off the high areas while it's still wet?
 It will stay in the hollows and grooves, really bringing out the detail and provide a good shading and contrast.
Just like moss and dirt in between the rocks.

Thanks for your suggestions but I’m leaving how it’s painted thanks LeStryge.

Mountaineer
Rustygun

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:34 am

The cave looks great ..

Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 am

Rustygun wrote:
The cave looks great ..

Thank you very much Rustygun.

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 3:16 am

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions but I’m leaving how it’s painted thanks LeStryge.
Fair enough Alex. It's your cave.
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog
Flock Head
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Looks great Alex... The expanding foam was a brilliant idea. I'll have to remember that one. We've got a can of that we used some time ago. If it is still good, perhaps I could make a cave one day too...

Good job!

Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 4:06 pm

londonroadhog wrote:
Looks great Alex... The expanding foam was a brilliant idea. I'll have to remember that one. We've got a can of that we used some time ago. If it is still good, perhaps I could make a cave one day too...

Good job!

Thanks for your comments Colin.

PostSubject: Re: Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.   Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Step by step on how the Cave diorama was made.
Page 1 of 1