ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mini Dio For photographing figures

Go down 
+6
Rustygun
Rogue-Trooper
TNshooter
BAMComix
Kimono Troop Command
FIELD STATION 42
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

Mini Dio For photographing figures  Empty
PostSubject: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 12:40 am

Sorry folks , I remembered to late to do a complete walk through , but hopefully the pics and description will give you an idea how it was made , and hopefully inspire you .

O.k so I started off with three blocks of Oasis , this is the stuff used for flower arranging . It likely comes in all shapes and sizes , mine were ( I am guessing here ) approximately nine inches long by three and half wide by three deep  . I joined these together with cocktail sticks , and then covered them in stuff called Mod Rock . This is basically the same stuff used in hospitals , that they use too wrap around your limbs if your unfortunate enough to brake a bone . I used some wet scrunched up kitchen towel on top of the Oasis and applied the Mod Rock over the top . This gave the dips and texture to the service of the Diorama . I did add some paint to the Mod Rock but it did not work that well , and came out far to light . This is how it looked at this stage . I would leave it over night between each stage , to make sure everything is dry .

Mini Dio For photographing figures  Net-P1120918

So after this I coated it twice in watered down PVA glue , looking back I should of just used neat PVA , this seals it nicely . I then coated it in dark brown Acrylic paint ( Raw Umber ) . And then I kind of dry brushed over the top with Raw Sienna , with a touch of the Raw Umber mixed in . This gives the Red coloured clay look I was after , as it is to represent the Vietnam jungle .

Mini Dio For photographing figures  Net-P1120936

So once this stage had dried properly , I use a small pin vice to drill holes and place in artificial plants that I have had for some years , with this idea in mind . Very Happy  I then got some old dead leaves from the garden , scrunched them up in a plastic bag , and then dabbing some more PVA glue on the base I sprinkled the dead leaves on , and gently pressed them down . Leave to dry again , and gently shake and blow off the loose dead leaves . This last part I learnt from a Tony Barton tutorial . This is how it looks now .

Mini Dio For photographing figures  Net-P1120946

Hope that made some sense , and inspires you to have ago .

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 1:09 am

So this project was literally "years in the making," huh? Or at least, "years in the waiting."

You accurately captured the color and "slipperyness" of the muddy Vietnam soil that was in some images you shared recently on chat.

The bamboo looks fantastic "planted" in the base. You achieved an effective "random" appearance to the planting, giving the forest a wild nature look. The dried leaves technique really adds a level of realism to the base.

Do you coat the dried leaves with a spray varnish of some kind or perhaps more glue to give them a bit more durability? Are they fairly solid, or will the leaves be subject to crumbling?

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 1:27 am

Thanks Dave , it`s my first attempt at anything like this really , and you could say it has been years in the waiting Very Happy I literally just attached the leaves as they were , only time will tell how they will fair , but your ideas are good . I think it would be better to add the leaves to the floor and coat them in something before planting the other stuff . Not keen on sprays , but maybe a spray on matt varnish or something . I think you can spray on watered down PVA , but you don`t get many uses out the spray bottle . Thanks for the suggestions and taking time to comment . Wink

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 3:37 am

Great tutorial. I'd love to know where those plastic plants came from. They would look just right in my version of Dinosaur Valley,
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 7:59 am

Awesome work chip! that will make a great mini dio for figure shots. As Dave says, the random planting really does give a fantastic feel of being out in the wild. bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Military Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 8:47 am

Chip wrote:
I literally just attached the leaves as they were , only time will tell how they will fair , but your ideas are good . Not keen on sprays , but maybe a spray on matt varnish or something . I think you can spray on watered down PVA , but you don`t get many uses out the spray bottle.

I wonder, what if you used hair spray? It should hold down the crumbled leaves, but I don't know if it would be reflective or shiny?

Nice tutorial.
Back to top Go down
Rogue-Trooper
Green Beret
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 12:13 pm

Outstanding work Chip cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions . Can not help much with the plants Gary , as mentioned had them for some years . Perhaps a search for plastic Bamboo and ferns may bring up something useful . I think I go mine in a sale at a garden centre .

Mountaineer
Rustygun

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 1:57 pm

Great idea and nicely done..

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks RG . Wink

Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 5:01 pm

Nice work Chip! This looks really good!
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 11:03 pm

Cheers Sarah . Wink

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 1:52 am

Nice work Chip, I think it gives a great impression of being 'in country' and will work well with your figures.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Thanks Roy . Wink

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2021 2:00 am

That's going to be a great backdrop for your Nam figures -- beautiful work!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks Gilbri . Wink

Flock Head
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Great job Chip.

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 11:23 pm

Cheers Colin . Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Mini Dio For photographing figures    Mini Dio For photographing figures  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mini Dio For photographing figures
Page 1 of 1