ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

P40 cockpit Project,

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

P40 cockpit Project,  Empty
PostSubject: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 12:58 am

People who know I've been building this have been asking to see how I built the (very notional) Curtiss P40 cockpit rear intend to use in some of my stories.  Well, here it is....

P40 cockpit Project,  51626410016_63c1a9807f_b102421_0076 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Cockpit rear with Laura

It doesn't look like much, does it?  

But when extracted from the background using Photoshop and inserted into 3D render like the one below.....

P40 cockpit Project,  51627056499_95830a9a79_b10b by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

It actually ends up looking like this....

P40 cockpit Project,  51626668860_275d930dcd_bLaura_1 by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

And for my money, the composite ends up looking a whole load better than in previously created images where photographed the figure in front of my computer screen.

If you're tempted to ask why bother building the cockpit at all and why not just do a figure extraction and paste just the figure into the render, the answer is that it is a whole lot easier and faster to do an extraction of the whole cockpit rear including the figure than it is to do just the figure as the fuselage of the aircraft is constitutes a series of smooth lines, some straight, some curved where as the figure with its complex pose, and worst of all, it's hair would take significant amounts of time to extract from background.

Please feel free to ask my any questions you might have about how I built or or the materials used.

BAMComix and FIELD STATION 42 like this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 2:58 am

Did you have to measure and construct the shape of the backing panel to match a pre-existing cockpit shape from the 3D rendering software? Or are you able to "construct" the 3D digital parts around the physical section?

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 am

What I did was to take the DAZ render and open it in Photoshop where they dimensions could be altered at will.  Then I placed a figure in front of the screen and altered the dimensions until they looked right. I printed them to the same size, then cut them out to use as templates for marking and cutting the sheet plastic.

When doing the composite however, it's the part with the cockpit rear and pilot that is expanded or contracted to fit into the pre-existing image.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 5:12 am

Well done Gary!
Must admit I do admire "builds" over straight out Photoshopping.
Reminds me so much of the way they did the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in "A New Hope".
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 am

LeStryge wrote:
Well done Gary!
Must admit I do admire "builds" over straight out Photoshopping.
Reminds me so much of the way they did the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in "A New Hope".

Thanks. It's not much of a build really; only as much as needs to be and it's only purpose is to facilitate the production of large numbers of images.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 5:16 am

Kimono Troop Command wrote:

When doing the composite however, it's the part with the cockpit rear and pilot that is expanded or contracted to fit into the pre-existing image.

Right - and that's why was wondering if you had to match the shape (rather than actual dimensions) of the physical construction to that of the digital version. I did not clearly convey what I was wondering about in my initial question. Printing out the digital version as a template makes sense.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 am

Just the dimensions
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 7:31 am

Amazing work Gary, and it looks so good when added in the 3D render. Top work indeed bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: P40 cockpit Project,    P40 cockpit Project,  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

P40 cockpit Project,
Page 1 of 1