ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.

Go down 
+3
BAMComix
FIELD STATION 42
Kimono Troop Command
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Empty
PostSubject: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 6:04 am

As the design of my starship bridge continues to evolve, so too does Keiko's captain's chair or acceleration couch.  It started off looking like this:

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51858805021_d6c5be9801_b020222_0015 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Okay, there's a lot you can't see here because of the shadows, but basically there were two things that stuck me:

1. Both the console and chair seemed a bit low with the figures legs going far beyond the end of the console and:

2.  There was no support for the legs or lower parts of the thighs.

Another thing that struck me is that as I'm not working on a Hollywood sound stage with lots of room for a camera to move around, the placement of a large control console to the figures's front would severely limit the angles from which I could photograph the figure. Hence a re-design was necessary, eliminating the console and putting most of the pilot's controls into the armrests, as with Thunderbird 1. Redesigning the chair (Making things up as I went along) is what I mostly spent my afternoon and early evening doing. Here we see what the redesign looks like without cushions:  Note:  It was always my intention to have cushions in the first place.

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51878425951_225b4f1a2c_bWork in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51878425916_b159f1ba5a_bWork in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

And now with some foam board cut outs that will soon be covered with faux leather to simulate cushions,

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51878415766_b3a0a6bfa9_bA work in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51878729799_c1d12575a9_bA work in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51878415786_fe30489df7_bA work in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On should notice that the back of the chair has a section cut out specifically to allow the figure to be seated with both the PLISS and it's space consuming oxygen hose.  I'm not sure if I'll pad the area around the cut-out at this point. We'll have to wait and see. I have not yet settled on a design for the armrests yet, a minor, but solvable problem being the size of the pistol holster on the figure's hip getting in the way of structure.  Put in other words, I had failed to take this into account and the (sort of) planning stage.  

I need more sheet plastic to do the armrests, and as the hobby stores (what's left of them at any rate) are closed tomorrow, that will have to wait until next week whereas my next foray will be to buy some faux leather for the cushions tomorrow, currently on sale at the local fabric store.

For those of you interested in the materials, this chair is mainly built using .030 and .040 sheet plastic, with the cushions being cut from 1/2" foam board.  The base was made by gluing the lid from a jar of instant coffee (Nescafé, bottom) to a small plastic salsa container for potato chips. They were spray painted with Tamiya Neutral Grey (USAF) while the chair itself was sprayed with Tamiya light gun metal.

More to follow later.

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 6:26 am

I always find it interesting to see how projects evolve during the construction phase. Your “Mk 2” design appears to be effectively addressing functional inconveniences you discovered during initial construction.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 6:31 am

Yeah, pretty much. As it develops, it's beginning to look more and more like your own concept.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 7:33 am

Clever stuff Gary! really cool how you had the cut out part for the pack bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 9:38 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I always find it interesting to see how projects evolve during the construction phase.

I totally agree, I love seeing how projects are put together.

And with Dal, I like your thought on the cut out for the pack.

I've never worked with sheet plastic, I'm curious as to what you use to glue it together?

You said you haven't decided on the arm rest design, and are taking into account of the holster.
I just happened to think that at times on Star Trek: TNG that at times when a new shift would
arrive on the bridge, the helmsmen would push back the console to get out of the chair and allow
the replacement to sit down and they would pull back the console.

Considering the holster on the right side of the figure, the console could be mounted on the left
side of the figure, and rotate away for them to get up and sit down? Or maybe fold up for that?
Or like an old school desk, mounted on one side leaving space to exit the chair? Just ramblings
on my part, ideas that popped into my head. I realize that a moving console could be a challenge
to build.

Anyway, the new chair is looking great!

Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 1:11 pm

I normally forget the process of photographing anything I up grade or scratch build , it is all interesting to view , and it`s looking very good !

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 3:14 pm

TNshooter wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
I always find it interesting to see how projects evolve during the construction phase.

I totally agree, I love seeing how projects are put together.

And with Dal, I like your thought on the cut out for the pack.

I've never worked with sheet plastic, I'm curious as to what you use to glue it together?

Sheet plastic is polystyrene. Ordinary polystyrene cement (plastic model glue) affords the strongest bonds, though super glue works well when you need something to be bonded quickly.

You said you haven't decided on the arm rest design, and are taking into account of the holster.
I just happened to think that at times on Star Trek: TNG that at times when a new shift would
arrive on the bridge, the helmsmen would push back the console to get out of the chair and allow
the replacement to sit down and they would pull back the console.

The consoles were mounted to the floor and could be pivoted. However the crew were not wearing spacesuits or helmets, Notice that the helmet and harness design with it's mount for this one would limit the downwards visibility of the wearer, meaning the console would have to be higher and could obscure parts of the figure I don't want obscured when shooting from a front angle. Therefore, for my purposes, I may simply integrate the controls into the armrests. More on that later.

Considering the holster on the right side of the figure, the console could be mounted on the left
side of the figure, and rotate away for them to get up and sit down? Or maybe fold up for that?
Or like an old school desk, mounted on one side leaving space to exit the chair? Just ramblings
on my part, ideas that popped into my head. I realize that a moving console could be a challenge
to build.

Anyway, the new chair is looking great!

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Yeah, pretty much.  As it develops, it's beginning to look more and more like your own concept.

And my concept was based on your verbally described concept of a "couch" or "chaise lounge" design, only set in a more upright position.

In truth, the footrest part of my design was accidental. I was planning to trim off the long piece of protruding cardboard, until I test fit the figure and realized it was the right length for a leg and foot support.

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 4:02 pm

The consoles were mounted to the floor and could be pivoted. However the crew were not wearing spacesuits or helmets, Notice that the helmet and harness design with it's mount for this one would limit the downwards visibility of the wearer, meaning the console would have to be higher and could obscure parts of the figure I don't want obscured when shooting from a front angle. Therefore, for my purposes, I may simply integrate the controls into the armrests.  More on that later.  

Just ramblings on my part, ideas that popped into my head. I realize that a moving console could be a challenge
to build.

Like I said, just ramblings on my part. But considering the space suit needing a higher console for viewing due to downward visibility
constraints, wouldn't it be hard for them to see arm rest controls due to the limits of downward viewing?

I mean no disrespect, just my thoughts on what you are saying. But you said more later, so I will watch for the more later. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 5:12 pm

Oh! How's this for a solution to the downward visibility conundrum: the helmet plugs in (or wirelessly connects) to the console, providing an in-helmet display micro-projected on the inside of the helmet? Similar to modern cars that can project maps and data on to the windscreen - a so-called "heads up" display? That would actually serve as a plausible explanation for the antenna-like devices that protrude from the sides of the helmet.

The armrest controls could then be minimal, a joystick and a few buttons, with an assumption that the stick controls on-screen functions, similar to a video game controller. Accomplished gamers rarely look at the hand controls.

A console or periscope arrangement could be provided for non-helmeted pilots.

TNshooter wrote:
I mean no disrespect, just my thoughts on what you are saying. But you said more later, so I will watch for the more later.

I know this is K-Troop's topic, but I am finding the back-and-forth and all the suggestions, questions, comments, and possibilities quite interesting, entertaining, and helpful as I work on my own projects. Although for myself, I think more in terms of what would "look cool on camera" while being relatively easy to construct, as opposed to thinking through the practical functionality.

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 7:22 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Oh! How's this for a solution to the downward visibility conundrum: the helmet plugs in (or wirelessly connects) to the console, providing an in-helmet display micro-projected on the inside of the helmet? Similar to modern cars that can project maps and data on to the windscreen - a so-called "heads up" display? That would actually serve as a plausible explanation for the antenna-like devices that protrude from the sides of the helmet.

Great idea!

Quote :
A console or periscope arrangement could be provided for non-helmeted pilots.

I know this is K-Troop's topic, but I am finding the back-and-forth and all the suggestions, questions, comments, and possibilities quite interesting, entertaining, and helpful as I work on my own projects. Although for myself, I think more in terms of what would "look cool on camera" while being relatively easy to construct, as opposed to thinking through the practical functionality.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 7:58 pm

I actually put these things up not so much so that people can say  "Oh wow!  What a cool thing!" but rather so that they can contribute their own ideas and thoughts as well.

PS. Got the right side armrest built while I should have been cleaning my apartment.....
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 8:03 pm

PS.  Got the right side armrest built while I should have been cleaning my apartment.....

I unfortunately don't have an excuse for not cleaning my home...other than watching TV. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 8:22 pm

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 8:32 pm

Oh, clever and aesthetically pleasing design solution for dealing with the hip holster - an "outrigger" sort of arm rest support!

For my solution, I simply made the seat wider. Razz

Those stylish "space boots" look even more stylish on the stylish footrest! Style every which way you look in this project!

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 8:36 pm

an "outrigger" sort of arm rest support!

You're making it obvious you've lived in Hawaii.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 9:22 pm

Chip wrote:
I normally forget the process of photographing anything I up grade or scratch build , it is all interesting to view , and it`s looking very good !
Oh I do this too Chip, ....or my hands are about ten minutes behind my brain's thinking, and  they're covered in too much glue to even touch a camera.
Excellent progress shots and concept Gary!
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 9:39 pm

You could put a wide console on the left connecting a "mirrored" seat for a twin pilot station. Which is actually what I did, although I didn't really have a plan when I did it. I am currently working on another separate seat, using my first ones as a template.

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2022 6:38 am

Coming along nicely KTC.

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2022 7:23 am

One little bit at the time….
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2022 12:47 am

Quote :
Sheet plastic is polystyrene. Ordinary polystyrene cement (plastic model glue) affords the strongest bonds, though super glue works well when you need something to be bonded quickly.
I have some plastic glue that works well, BUT can anyone explain why you manufacture a glue that specifically glues plastic together, and then sell it in a PLASTIC container with a PLASTIC lid???
Yes, it glues plastic together VERY well, ....but........ Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: More work done   Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 4:15 am

I got a bit more work done on my command / acceleration couch for the starship Inside Straight. The first image shows the joystick I built for the right armrest, which the the control that fires the ship's maneuvering thrusters so that it takes the correct attitude.  The joystick was created using brass wire and milliputt epoxy putty.

By design, the left armrest is shorter than the right one as there will be a throttle right in front of it. The lever is built, the control box has not been.

[
url=https://flic.kr/p/2n4UCBQ]Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51896403166_15e9a60b38_b[/url]
Acceleration couch progress
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   51896491888_1b52ec0155_b
Acceleration couch progress
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

The final two images show what is to be the storage area under the left armrest. which will be for cold drinks; (soft drinks and beer.) The individual holders will be cut from brass or aluminum tubing sections of the right diameter. I'll probably go with aluminum as it is easier to cut.  The Star Patrol believes in its comforts.

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 7:33 am

Things really are moving along now Gary! Brilliant work. The joy stick looks fantastic!
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 7:39 am

Looking good KTC. Looking at the photos, and the shape of the left hand, I'm
imagining a keyboard. Maybe with a monitor? Sort of like a laptop kind of design.

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 1:40 pm

Impressive levels of thought, design work, and construction skill going in to this project! Very cool!

PostSubject: Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.    Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next