ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ARVN Rangers

Go down 
+2
Glidah Drivah
Chip
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 1:10 pm

Hi all , here is a couple of my ARVN ( Army Republic Vietnam ) Rangers . The ARVN were often considered cowardly by many U.S units . There are plenty of stories of them running from battles , and there is that infamous joke most of us have likely heard from the Full Metal Jacket movie , " we got some ARVN rifles , never been fired and only dropped once " . However the ARVN were involved in some fierce battles and showed great bravery . In the early days , the U.S supplied the ARVN with old WW 2 U.S gear in the early stages of the war . My first figure is showing this . It`s a Cotswold helmet and uniform and M.1 rifle , and very nice it is too ! I added some updated webbing and U.S jump boots to him . The pattern of the uniform is referred to as the Duck pattern , during WW2 , the uniform I believe was fazed out in certain areas as these U.S uniforms were confused with similar looking German Para smocks . The Tiger and star on a yellow shield insignia , shown on the arm patch and helmet is the insignia for general ranger units .

ARVN Rangers  1-P1150052

ARVN Rangers  2-P1150057

ARVN Rangers  3-P1150051

ARVN Rangers  4-P1150061

ARVN Rangers  5-P1150067

ARVN Rangers  6-P1150066

ARVN Rangers  7-P1150068

ARVN Rangers  8-P1150065

As the war went on , the U.S supplied the ARVN with more modern up to date equipment , as can be seen on my 2nd figure , notably here the M16 and web gear , though he still sports the older jump boots . The ARVN troops liked to wear tight fitting uniforms , and there were lots of unique patterns to the later uniforms . The old 21st century woodland pattern , works perfectly here , as it`s quite a tight fit and is a little bright for the U.S woodland pattern fatigues . Bright coloured scarves and insignia were typical for ARVN units . I had some transfer decals made for my other ARVN troops , and home printed the insignia patches . The red roman 111 on a white circle identifies him being in the regional corps .

ARVN Rangers  Mod-1-P1150077

ARVN Rangers  Mod-2-P1150074

ARVN Rangers  Mod-3-P1150070

ARVN Rangers  Mod-4-P1150078

ARVN Rangers  Mod-5-P1150080

Lastly a comparison photo .

ARVN Rangers  Mod-6-P1150084

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Glidah Drivah
Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 1:50 pm

They look great! While the ARVN never lived up to it’s potential, the specialized units such as rangers, marines and paratroopers (along with a few of the infantry divisions) were as good as any. The national police force was also very good and helped defeat the NLF/VC.

-Nate
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 2:45 pm

Cheers Nate , there was also wide corruption amongst the Southern side Police and Military , lots of weapons and equipment was sold on the black market and often ended up in the wrong hands . But agreed many units didn`t get the recognition they deserved .

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 2:58 pm

The scholarship that precedes your custom figures is truly impressive. Your posts are always informative and fascinating, and the figures help make that period in history seem more tangible and “human” than mere statistics and lists of dates, locations, and equipment seen in books and articles. I find it amazing how you take the “data” and bring it to life through your custom figures.

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 3:08 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
The scholarship that precedes your custom figures is truly impressive. Your posts are always informative and fascinating, and the figures help make that period in history seem more tangible and “human” than mere statistics and lists of dates, locations, and equipment seen in books and articles. I find it amazing how you take the “data” and bring it to life through your custom figures.

So kind , thanks Dave . I am glad you appreciate my efforts . I hope I don`t come across as a know it all , but I like to give some history to the military figures I create . It`s a war for some unknown reason that fascinates me , and has done for a fair few years now .

Dreadnought

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 7:43 pm

More great figures Chip !!! More fantastic accessorizing and attention to detail.

I'm becoming a big fan of this collection. Very Happy
What's even more impressive, as I mentioned earlier today, is your historical command of this era, as Dave has pointed out here.

I hold a B.A. and Masters in History, the Ancient and Medieval eras were my field.
I can recognize passion and knowledge when I see it.
You've obviously done a lot of research on this conflict and it's great to see it added to your posts.
Far from coming across as a 'know it all', the knowledge helps to ground and contextualize the historical details for those of us who are largely ignorant of them - myself included in this particular era.

Keep 'em coming Chip. You'll be writing an Osprey illustrated History next!

Kev.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 pm

That`s so kind and nice to hear Kev , thank you so very much for those kind comments .

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 10:40 pm

The story behind your figures only adds to the hugely impressive qualities. I really enjoy reading what you took as the starting inspiration and how it has influenced the details that always make your work so incredibly impressive. You must now have a truly wonderful collection of 'Nam War figures that could grace any museum devoted to that period.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 10:55 pm

Many thanks Barry , it`s really nice having people take interest in my figures .

Admin
BAMComix

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 7:25 am

Fantastic stuff Chip, really great looking sculpts to, too accompany the terrific way you have outfitted them!
Back to top Go down

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 8:42 am

Chip wrote:
Many thanks Barry , it`s really nice having people take interest in my figures .
I just wish I lived closer so I could sit at your elbow and watch your creative processes and techniques. I could learn so much!
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 10:16 am

I too enjoy the facts you include about your figures. Besides the excellent detailing
and photography, the facts help to explain them, the kit and the characters. cheers
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks for the further kind comments , they are so welcomed and appreciated , thank you .

ARVN Rangers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARVN Rangers    ARVN Rangers  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ARVN Rangers
Page 1 of 1