ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marx Stony Smith Jeep

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Empty
PostSubject: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm

This is the Marx Stony Smith jeep. I had one of these when I was a young tyke, and even
though it was the same jeep, mine was made for Johnny West. Mine was red, and it had
a light blue horse trailer. I wasn't aware of Stony Smith at that time.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j10

When I got this jeep it was in good shape, but the steering wheel was busted on two of the three spokes in the
steering wheel. It was sitting on top of a box in the back room, and a female cat I had apparently decided to
jump up on the box, I woke up one day to find it on the floor on its top. The steering wheel was completely
gone at that point.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j11

I had a page on the bay bookmarked for a replacement made with a 3D printer. The original wheel was the same color as the jeep, I
decided I would get one in black so in the future a collector would know it was a reproduction. I put it in a day or so ago
after it arrived, after I gave it a rinse to get the dust off that had gathered.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j12

The front of the jeep with the windshield up. One can get a 3D printed reproduction, but it doesn't have the glass or the wipers.
Luckily this one was still intact.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j13

The back bed and tailgate. The square on the tailgate is where the spare tire is supposed to be
mounted. This one has the spare, but it's not attached. I'm guessing a pop rivet held it in place.
The inside of the gate is closed, I'm guessing I will need to carefully drill it on through, so I can
use a short nut and bolt to put it back on. Unless someone has a better idea?

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j14

I'm not aware of any kind of trailer to hook up to it, but it does have a trailer hitch. I'm sure this is for
the horse trailer from the Johnny West version, since it's the same jeep.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j15

Stonewall "Stony" Smith stands next to the jeep, and in the driver seat.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j16

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Marx_j17

Stony was Marx's version of Joe for a couple of years. He apparently didn't do as well as Joe in the boys market.
But there are some around on the bay. This is the second version of Stony, the third was called All American
Fighter, but has an Ideal style body and cloth clothes instead of the molded version like this one.

BAMComix and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 4:45 pm

Whoa, cool! What a blast from the past! I had completely forgotten all about Stony Smith!

Great looking Jeep in almost true to 1/6 scale size! The seating area, in particular, looks more appropriately sized to 1/6 figures than many vehicles. The fig's legs do not need to extend in to the engine compartment.

I stuck the spare tire on to the back of my r/c Jeep using blu-tac. It eventually falls off, but works for a while without drilling holes.

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 12:45 am

I'm glad this brought back some memories for you Dave. bounce
I take it you had one when you were young? Or at least knew
about him.

I knew about Johnny West, had one as a wee tyke. But I
didn't know about Stony until I became an adult collector.

I was very lucky to find this one on ebay. It's in good shape
other than the original steering wheel. It's not as durable
as the Joe Five Star Jeep, I guess the type of plastic used.
Barely bump it and the windshield rattles pretty loud. lol!

I don't remember how long my red version lasted, I got it
when I was about four or five years old. But I do remember
my Five Star lasted longer.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 3:36 am

TNshooter wrote:
I'm glad this brought back some memories for you Dave. bounce
I take it you had one when you were young? Or at least knew
about him.

I never had a Stony Smith figure or vehicle. My brother had a Johnny West Chief Cherokee and the jointed horse, Comanche. Those are the only Marx figures we had, but seeing posts online has jogged my memory about the Marx Knights, and now Stony Smith. I'm sure I must have seen TV commercials, and probably looked at them in stores and in the Sears and the Montgomery-Ward Christmas toy catalogs.

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 12:11 pm

I had one or similar at least Marx Jeep , it had cracked in one corner of the windscreen hinge which was black , and so I moved it on . I think it had an edge to many of the Action Man released jeeps we got here , but as mentioned was a little brittle . Good to see it here in restored glory . You need to get some Joes in it , and some out door pics Daryl . bounce

Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 1:03 am

Great jeep! The Marx jeep is about the same size as Gi Joe’s but is the actual model used in the mid-60s. Here’s my Marx Buddy Charlie being stopped at an MP checkpoint. The MPs have a slightly smaller Empire jeep.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Image
Marx Stony Smith Jeep Image

-Nate

BAMComix and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 2:05 am

Great photos Nate! Your figures and jeeps look great.

How did you get black gloved hands for your Buddy Charlie?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 am

"These are not the droids you're looking for....."?  lol!
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm

LeStryge wrote:
"These are not the droids you're looking for....."?  lol!

Very Happy

Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 3:02 pm

TNshooter wrote:
Great photos Nate! Your figures and jeeps look great.

How did you get black gloved hands for your Buddy Charlie?

The Marx figures are often missing the forearms and hands, but the ideal captain action arms are nearly identical, so I’ve been replacing mine with either playing mantis captain action or ideal Knight of Darkness arms. The Knight of darkness is all black; so my winter uniform Buddy Charlie’s now look like they wear black gloves.

Marx Stony Smith Jeep IMG_3561_zpsqzsubzep
Marx Stony Smith Jeep IMG_3845_zps5oz1fkor

-Nate
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 6:46 pm

I had a feeling they were Knight of Darkness hands. My younger brother had one.
In fact, I have the silver robot from that line, that used to be his. Was it called Zeroid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 2:28 am

Okay, this is really weird! 
Glidah Drivah,  your own photo clearly shows the source of your figure's arms!
It's there in plain English for all to see, and in the appropriate place too!.
Intentional? Or just one of those uncanny juxtapositions?
Or am I just the strange one who picked up on it.......?

Marx Stony Smith Jeep Lxtxdd
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 8:32 pm

Very useful pics of your complete jeep, I've got a wrecked one that needs scratchbuilt parts, so great source of reference !👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marx Stony Smith Jeep   Marx Stony Smith Jeep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marx Stony Smith Jeep
Page 1 of 1