ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

"Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Empty
PostSubject: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 12:15 am

I'm wondering what others have used to give the blanco'ed look to webbing ?
I'm wanting to make some dragon webbing ( ww2 Brit) look more the part, as it's too clean and pale to be true & I'd think it unlikely that much webbing in real life survived very long without being blancoed !
Any tips or suggestions most welcome 👍
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 7:09 am

Antheads do some if I remember correctly?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 7:48 am

Any good art supplies shop will have a tube of khaki water colour.
(I assume that's the colour you want? You probably won't get that colour in any of the cheapie stores.)
Apply undiluted with a stiff brush and let dry.
If you want to spend more money, (but the effect will be the same), Vallejo Model Colors available in hobby shops have several variances of the shade that will suit.
Just make sure it's a water-based acrylic.
Many plastics do NOT like oil-based paint and it will refuse to dry, remaining sticky.
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 am

Thanks for the ideas gents, I'll experiment with water colours on some scrap bits 👍
I'm not familiar with Antheads, I'll have a search on tinternet !

Edit.. I found Antheads, he does some very impressive stuff, I'll get some webbing "raw materials" from him and have a go at kitbashing some, I've not been overly impressed with the quality of Dragon type webbing tbh, and it seems to fall apart quite readily, I guess it's not meant to be played with Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 11:46 pm

A little thinned white PVA wood glue brushed over the webbing will give it more strength.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 12:27 am

I hope forum member Chip sees this topic. He is our friendly neighborhood Spiderman when it comes to slinging webs!

Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 am

The PVA trick is a good tip, useful stuff for many things I've found 👍
Spider's webs ? I'm still finding bits of spider/cob webs everywhere after I cleared out an old barn / loft thing last week, orrible stuff !
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm

I am always pushed for time of late , I will pop back soon , but is the webbing plastic ?

Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 2:00 pm

Blanco never really made the jump to this side of the pond (except in Canada). Brasso on the other hand was a staple in my cadet and navy time!

-Nate
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 4:51 pm

Chip wrote:
I am always pushed for time of late , I will pop back soon , but is the webbing plastic ?
Nooo... It is proper fabric !
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 4:52 pm

Glidah Drivah wrote:
Blanco never really made the jump to this side of the pond (except in Canada). Brasso on the other hand was a staple in my cadet and navy time!

-Nate
It does seem like a very British thing !
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 12:34 pm

Porky wrote:
Chip wrote:
Nooo... It is proper fabric !

In that case other than the suggested painting , I can not help you any further .

Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 6:09 pm

Having thought about it, a mate used to do WW2 reenactment, British tommy style, I'll give him a call and see if he's got any actual real blanco !
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2022 3:36 pm

Well, as above, I've been given a modest lump of real Blanco, in a zip lock bag it looks very much like some stuff you'd be arrested for !
I'll have to work out how to apply it, I believe its mixed with water and daubed on, a small stiff paint brush is likely the way ahead.
Edit... Just found an interesting website blancoandbull.com
this has lots of interesting stuff about blancoed webbing, inc a good "how to apply" guide Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?   "Blanco" equivalent for webbing ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Blanco" equivalent for webbing ?
Page 1 of 1