ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty
PostSubject: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am

Okay, so some of you guys may remember I created a rock archway sometime back. Lots of you asked me how I did it, but like so many others, I always forget to take pictures as I go, and a lot of stuff I make is on the fly. However, this time when I set out to create a rock wall, I remembered to take pictures. So here we go!   

The archway.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. 53412034165_6f1e6a8f7b_cTabi landing on Spy Island (1) by Dal Lee, on Flickr

Creating the rock wall.

The archway will be made mostly from junk I had laying around. The first thing I need was to use up old cardboard that I had.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-1

I filled up the sink with very hot water and left the cardboard to soak for about 45 seconds to a minute to become pliable. For some reason, the hotter the water the easier the cardboad becomes to shape?

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-2

Once I'd squeezed the cardboard in to a rockish shape and forced of the water out, you end up with something like this.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-3
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-4

Simply repeat the process for as man rock pieces as you need for your wall. Then leave to dry.

Another great pain in the butt to get rid of is polystyrene (or Styrofoam, as it's known in the U.S.). It's not great for making walls as it disintegrates as you shape it. However, it does make great rock shapes if you start to snap it off in chunks. In these next few pictures, you can see where I glued the polystyrene as well as the cardboard to a piece of hardboard (very hing wood that can be cut with a craft knife). Once glued. again, leave to dry.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. B-1
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. B-2
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. BB-1
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. BB-2

Once dry, you mix up some paper mache. I used about 70% glue to 30% water, but everyone's different in their own approach to this. I used tissue as opposed to newspaper to cover all the polystyrene and cardboard. It's messy, but great fun. Once done, again leave to dry.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. BB-3
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. C-2
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. D-1
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. D-2

Once dry, you should have so

Something like this,

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. E

The next stage is to base coat black. I painted mine with a brush, but spray would be just as effective.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. F

The next stage is to dry brush the whole thing in shades of grey. Starting from a very dark grey, eventually working your way up to an extremely light grey. This will create the rock texture look. Sadly, this is where I forgot to do pictures of the various colour stages. But here is the final stage after a light grey dry-brushing. I used a paint brush, and acrylic art paints. The wall is actually double sided, so it was a long process, but I think well worth it.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-1
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-2

The next few pics I added a figure to give an idea of scale.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-3
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-4
BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-5

All I need to do now, is add some grass flock to the wall, which I will take pictures of when it arrives, as well as the how to. I hope you guys found this helpful, and maybe, you'll have a try yourselves? Thanks for looking!
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 am

Looks good Dal cheers

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 pm

TNshooter wrote:
Looks good Dal cheers

Thanks Daryl! will you be having a go yourself?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyE4
Red Devil
JohnnyE4

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 9:24 pm

so many paper towels

great work

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://littledandbubba.weebly.com/index.html
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am

JohnnyE4 wrote:
so many paper towels

great work

Cheers Johnny bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 am

Very well done on you Dal REMEMBERING to actually take pictures on creating a rock wall step by step. By the way loving the hand model that is being used in some of the pictures. Now I wonder who those hands belong to mmmmm.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

Professor Gangrene Fan wrote:
Very well done on you Dal REMEMBERING to actually take pictures on creating a rock wall step by step. By the way loving the hand model that is being used in some of the pictures. Now I wonder who those hands belong to mmmmm.  
Pleased you enjoyed the guide mate, I hope you find it useful for future dioramas?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.   BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.
Page 1 of 1