Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Danthecoat
Sailor

PostSubject: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 pm

On a visit to Vaughans last year i spotted a Land Rover so i posted a picture on the old site as i thought for sure it was a prototype.

Some of you might remember this and at the time i told Vaughan to show it to Bob Brechin but Vaughan being Vaughan said "Nah i dont think its a prototype" He was also adamant that he would not bog Bob down with such a trviality as it was the 1st Action Man Day and this would take precedent.

Anyways after going on and on at him all this year building up to picking Bob for the event i thought sod it and brought the conversation up with Bob and low and behold Bob said straight away that indeed there was a prototype made of the land rover with a roof made from very thick canvas but after the prototype was made the idea was ditched because of costs and playability for the kids as they thought no kid wants a roof on which makes it awkward to get the figure in and out. affraid

Bobs eyes lit up when he saw Vaughans Land Rover and said "WOW after all these years its still MINT condition"

We all laughed when Vaughan said it took some elbow grease to wash it and get it up to that condition.

"God" i thought "It must have came from a right slob with a really really scummy house"

Anyway here it is for you all to view especially if you couldnt make it to the show Smile

Last edited by Danthecoat on Thu May 16, 2013 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe90
Heavy Weapons

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 pm

I like these kind of stories.

I also like stories where the good guys win. You know by all the feedback from the attendees -- and the jealous reactions of your detractors -- that you and Vaughn have won. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danthecoat
Sailor

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you so much Doug Smile

I have a few more stories to share from the day but im eeking them out slowly lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 pm

that is a truly fantastic vehicle !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
action bob
Mine Detection

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 6:38 pm

When I saw this vehicle at the show on Sunday all i could do was droll!!!!

Truly a great vehicle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lumarshall
Action Soldier

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Fantastic what a shame it only got as far as the prototype stage. Great to see one as it would have looked like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Great pictures Dan. Yes, you've been on about it since the day I got it. (Can't remember where it came from now, lol) But it looks great with the VAM trailer. I'm asking Carol to produce some copies to see if it can be done. It caused a lot of interest on the day and you're so right, it needed a lot of cleaning - it was rotten. Only from neglect not play wear. There's not a mark on the tyres or a scratch to the body. I remember Brian Turner (Product Display Manager responsible for all the counter top fish tank display cases) telling me that if he or anyone on the team had an idea and needed anything to put it together, they would just walk along the current production line or store room and help themselves.
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Sailor

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

That really is a fantastic find Vaughan i bet who ever had it is gutted now that you own it ??

Its hard to see from the photos but theres not a scratch on it so he must have got it in good condition ???

A real collector would probably have taken better care of it but then again its amazing what squalour some people live in. No Mad All very poor form i think but at least its in good hands now Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks Dan......................JUST BEEN INFORMED THAT THE MODS AND ADMIN FROM THAT OTHER FORUM...........are guesting on here and reading all posts and commenting on them back there???????????????? PLEASE GUYS DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR - YOUR FORUM NEEDS YOU ........so stay there mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Sailor

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Still Vaughan be thankful for small mercys. He could have taken it out of the squat it was housed in covered it in fablon stood on it broke the wheels off and displayed it as another fisher price custom at some two bob members meet in a 12 by 12 room somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Yes mate you're so right.................I'm so thankful that I'm not going up in June. I've been twice before when I was a member and felt obligated to support, but at £200 a time in fuel, food etc and in a lot of pain driving all that way, I'm not sorry to be missing it. There is very little for sale there - it's mainly exhibits. I've emailed Fiona at the local museum and explained to her the reason I'm not attending this year and why I don't wish to be associated with these morons, but said this won't affect the display she has asked me to put in the museum. I've also assured Bob that this will go ahead. So everyone in the hobby knows the truth.
Exploiting? Exploiting what? LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes Dan. I do vaguely remember what I paid for it. It was about £35, ( the guy must have felt sorry for me, LOL) because, let's face it, that is ridiculously cheap for a prototype. The idiot couldn't have known what he had. He said something like - I've got two other custom ones and no room on the shelf for this. Can you believe that? This was at the first show of theirs that I attended with my customs and after seeing his attempts, I did consider giving up, LOL.
Back to top Go down
TALLY HO
NAVY FROGMAN

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 pm

that is awesome ........takes me back to my early days in the RAF thrashing one of those around the airfield (not a vam one lol)

part of my job was makiing the canvas tilts for those........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ddaydawson
Action Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Mon May 20, 2013 12:53 am

That is absolutely awesome. Vaughan, excuse my stupidity but I have not seen the paperwork for the Action Man Land Rover ever. I just wondered if the picture of the Land Rover with the canopy on it in the paperwork in your photo was the paperwork that came with original Land rover, or did you draw the canopy onto it. As if you didn't draw the canopy on it then the idea must of been thought about for sometime back in production days to have had it pictured with the canopy. Been stuck down here in Oz I havent had the chance to get hold of a land Rover yet so again excuse my lack of knowledge. One day I surely will get a land Rover, bu I bet you it certainly wont be as nice as that. I love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joeman
Crash Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 am

Sierra1 wrote:
Yes Dan. I do vaguely remember what I paid for it. It was about £35, ( the guy must have felt sorry for me, LOL) because, let's face it, that is ridiculously cheap for a prototype. The idiot couldn't have known what he had. He said something like - I've got two other custom ones and no room on the shelf for this. Can you believe that? This was at the first show of theirs that I attended with my customs and after seeing his attempts, I did consider giving up, LOL.

Vaughn, be nice, he's not an necessarily an idiot, just an underinformed seller. Gotta love them!

Rick
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gijoesquartermaster.webs.com

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 am

LOL LOL after seeing the link (which I had pm to me From the old HQ. God get a life lol) This must be really getting at you lol. Well now take a look at the info we put on it on the DAY. This has been researched since then And this is all new evidence - YOU FOOL.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving the universe again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am

What a rare sight to see something like this! It's a real beauty Very Happy

I like the little details like the straps holding down the spare wheel on the bonnet. You've done some excellent cleaning work on this to bring it up to museum quality.
Well done Sierra1, i can't believe you only payed £35 for it.

Thanks for posting this one, Dan.
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fuzzybee
Painted Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 am

Stunning, I am in ore of this what a stunning thing to own, makes me happy knowing a fellow collector/forum member owns and has restored this. Then to do the research to get it's provenance confirmed by the main man, I hope to see this in person one day. Plus £35, I thought I got a good deal paying £30 for my SAS Helicopter, this is a crown jewel in the vintage Action Man collecting scene.
Well done mate, truly superb plus what a piece to display at the shows a one off that no one else owns or ever will, I am in awe plus green with envy but in a respectful way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt_Elias

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 am

It's a thing of beauty, i saw it at Action Man Day 2 and was weighing up whether to grab the landy or some of Vaughans customs and make a mad dash to the car before anyone caught me lol!

A great addition to your collection, especially seeing as Bob has said it was one of theirs. If i ever pick up a landy i might have to get some more pictures off you to get one made myself (note how i didn't say i'd make one - it's look rubbish lol! )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe90
Heavy Weapons

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes, the Landy Top is definitely a thing of beauty.

I can certainly understand the frustration of discovering its true provenance after having sold it on.

I can almost see the look on his face at finding the news...

Now then, Dim, what does that great big horsy gape of a stare portend?

Danthecoat
Sailor

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Pmsl ive had a real hard day and thsts just cheered me right up lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkys6887
SAS Underwater Attack

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 24, 2013 9:05 am

Damo. You're younger and fitter than most of us on here. I recon you would have got away with it mate. Security on the door next time Vaughan. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.creativecounselling.net
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   Fri May 24, 2013 10:53 am

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover   

Back to top Go down

Sierra 1 Prototype Land Rover