Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Item is Missing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Winch
Flock Head
Winch

What Item is Missing Empty
PostSubject: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi guys,
something which I thought would make for an interesting discussion thread here. What VAM outfits were missing an important item and what was it in your opinion?

A couple of examples I have always thought were missing are;

The Deep Sea Diver is missing a Chest Weight seen in this pic marked FRONT the fixing points for it are present on the breastplate.
What Item is Missing DSCF2803

The Frogman (and Underwater Explorer) are missing a weight-belt despite it being shown in some box artwork!
What Item is Missing Untitled-29

Your thoughts and contributions?

Winch

"Fear not my Lord for Baldrick has a cunning plan!" Twisted Evil

Check out my range of Repro and Custom Items for Action Man and similar 1/6th Scale Figures including many unique items not available anywhere else. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rossini
Polar Explorer
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 pm

I have seen quite a few DSD in collections but they always seem to be missing the pretty lady!! Are these rare?

Polar Explorer
sirsidneyruffdiamond

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:33 pm

rossini wrote:
I have seen quite a few DSD in collections but they always seem to be missing the pretty lady!! Are these rare?

Ross they were never a part of the set but should have been for added realism

Sir Sid
Back to top Go down
sirsidneyruffdiamond
Polar Explorer
sirsidneyruffdiamond

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Great topic Winch

The SOTC Russian would look great with a helmet as well as the fur hat, I got a Cotswold one and it looks great

Sir Sid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:17 am

German Stormtrooper 1960s - 1970s issue should have come with a Kar98K rifle as the ammo pouches correspond to that not the MP38/40 Schmeisser it came with, also they should have added a gas mask canister, entrenching tool and cover, bayonet and scabbard, canteen and bread bag...

Same for the later issue brown Y harnessed locker box variant of the late issue Stormtrooper and the Last Issue one. Could say similar for the DAK outfit too...

Or they should have matched MP40 ammo pouches to the early and late issue Stormtroopers instead of the KAR98K ammo pouches...

Undershirt dickies for these outfits, as well as Panzer Captain instead of scarves. Panzer Captain should have come with a flat map case with strap and headphones in correct period type, not the commoner Tank Commander style ones that they could have even added. Maybe a flat forage style cap instead of the peak cap they did reuse...

Basic Soldier outfit / Talking Commander outfit: accurate wooly pulley not the watered down one we did get. Again, a shirt dickie to emulate the green shirt soldiers actually wear under jumpers. More accurate camo on the later Eagle Eyes versions trousers.

British Infantry Major: correct darker woollen effect uniform, shirt, tie, puttees or boots with molded on puttees for better simplicity of design and durability, map case with strap, water bottle, binoculars case, helmet as well as the cap,

British Infantryman / Royal Engineers - a more accurate, darker uniform and as above better puttees or boots with moulded ones.

Fireman - proper 'oilskin' yellow over trousers, more accurate period boots with white roll down parts at top, more realistic 'British' fire brigade helmet either in cork black or the then yellow, proper twill woollen with brass effect buttons tunic as per the time, accurate work belt with axe etc / holder etc. (The Fireman as was was based on a European licencees version and Palitoy simply adopted it into their range as it was cheaper to use).

British Paratrooper - the camo was always not accurate for me...even Dragon and other 1/6 moderns have achieved a more realistic camo as was back then

Police Motorcyclist - a shirt and tie definitely! Helmet was all wrong too. Not accurate to the time - it had a peak, and goggles with a strap.

Laughing

Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Mountineer
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 am

I was going to say some form of Shiert and tie for the AP, even a white dickie would;ve surficed but isnt it these sorts of thing that make Action Man ???

Simple and interchangable ??? If they had produced like Dragon (Highly Detailed pieces unique to any certain outfit) Then playability goes out the window and model starts to creep in. After all these were designed to be interchangable and played with "NOT" as we do now days put on a shelf and marveled at for its attention to detail as a bonafide collectors item. Smile

Just my thoughts though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am

I never fully understood why the British Infantry chap did not come with a beret also (could have fitted in the bag), they could have done different regiments ?? just a thought Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm

actionman2272 wrote:
I never fully understood why the British Infantry chap did not come with a beret also (could have fitted in the bag), they could have done different regiments ?? just a thought Wink

Money. Palitoy were cost conscious. I do agree that the more ornate an outfit becomes the less playable it becomes. Dragon and other 1/6th stuff maybe scale accurate but very brittle and the insignias come off all the time!

Thinking about the simplicity of VAM the best of the bunch have to be the Basic Soldier and Adventurer. You don't have to be precious handling them even now for fear of loosing or breaking something. I like giving the Special Mission Pod to an Adventurer or the Special Ops kit bag to a Basic Soldier or a bearded VAM dressed in those simple fatigues of jacket and pants from the Equipment Centre range...looks the biz.
Back to top Go down
SlackElastic
Admin
SlackElastic

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 8:13 pm

French Resistance; Bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and onions
HMS Victory Sailor: Bottle of Rum and something for the weekend

any more? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/el_slackelastic/
sirsidneyruffdiamond
Polar Explorer
sirsidneyruffdiamond

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

SlackElastic wrote:
French Resistance; Bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and onions
HMS Victory Sailor: Bottle of Rum and something for the weekend

any more? Twisted Evil

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Vodka for the Russian, Schnapps for the Stormtrooper, Jack Daniels for the Green Beret, and Glenfiddich for the Argyll......this thread has taken an interesting twist
Back to top Go down
ghost recon
NAVY FROGMAN
ghost recon

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Molsen's Canadian for the alluring Mountie , Cointreau for the French Resistance & Olde English cider for the BI.

Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 9:02 am

I would have liked a grappling hook and ropes with the boxed Adventurer figure and scarves for last issue German Stormtrooper and British Commando.
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 am

I wish I had thought of that too Richard !! that would have really aided play value to the adventurer cheers
Back to top Go down
Winch
Flock Head
Winch

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Getting somewhat more back on topic I thought of a couple more;

First Mountain and Arctic Warfare needed a Frog for the White Bayonet & Scabbard.

French Resistance could also use a Scabbard for his Knife!

Winch

"Fear not my Lord for Baldrick has a cunning plan!" Twisted Evil

Check out my range of Repro and Custom Items for Action Man and similar 1/6th Scale Figures including many unique items not available anywhere else. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shellshocked
New Recruit
Shellshocked

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Any set that had a bayonet should have had a frog for it in the relevant colour e.g. green! I always hated tucking them into belts. Simple ammo pouches in moulded plastic for different types of guns would have been nice too, small ones for pistols, medium for s.m.g's and larger ones for assault rifles etc.
But most of all why oh why was there no Webley revolver in the entire AM range????? The Lebel just never did it for me and a Webley would have been so much more accurate for WW2 stuff with Brits/Jerries. Also a Lee Enfield S.M.L.E would've been cool, I always liked that one over the No. 4 which was released.
Back to top Go down
sirsidneyruffdiamond
Polar Explorer
sirsidneyruffdiamond

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 am

The Aussie should have def had a didgeridoo

Tie me kangaroo down sport,

Tie me kangaroo down
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Item is Missing   What Item is Missing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Item is Missing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Vintage Action Man 1966 - 1984 :: Action Man Collections-
Jump to: