Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
buzz.mooney
New Recruit

PostSubject: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 am

I posted this in the Trenches, a few days ago, and it was suggested I post it here at AMMO, as well. Since there doesn't seem to be a "General Discussion" section, I figured I should post it here, since this section is all about telling stories with Joetography. I hhpe you all enjoy it!

For a lot of us, photographing Joes in various adventure settings is a big part of the hobby. For me, it was a major reason I took photography classes, in school. With that in mind, I though I'd share some tips that might be of use to anybody who might be thinking about doing some Joetography. For tonight's segment, I'll be assisted by two Joes:we'll call them"Vinnie", on the left, and "Tim", on the right.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 576x1022.

When I was a kid, playing with Joes, I always liked to have my Joes in realistic poses. my friends, on the other hand, didn't seem to care. During play, my Joes would look pretty much like Vinnie, here, while my buddy's Joe would look like Tim, here. Now think about this; if you ran down the street with your arms and legs like Tim here, people would think you were a spaz, because, wel, you'd be a spaz. I always wanted my Joe, when I had him running, to look like he was actually running!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 576x1022.

Running poses seem easy; one arm, and one leg forward, the other limbs back. And yet, sometimes Joe just doesn't look right. Look at Vinnie and Tim in this photo: both have one arm forward, and one back, with one leg forward, and one back. But somehow, Vinnie looks better than Tim. Why is that? It's because Vinnie shows "opposition of limbs". What this means, is that if he's stepping forward with his RIGHT leg, he's also pumping his LEFT arm forward. This. Is how we maintain balance when we walk or run. Try running the way Tim is in this picture: you'll quickly see that you can't maintain a steady pace. You have to actually THINK about putting your right arm forward with your right leg, and you may not be able to do it at all! Now, there are circumstances in which opposition of limbs doesn't occur: horses have a pace at which their left legs go forward at the same time. cats sometimes do that, too. However, in the majority of cases, the limbs are opposed, like Vinnie demonstrates.

This doesn't just occur in walking and running, either; remember, the limbs oppose to help us keep our balance. Virtually any action pose should utilize opposition of limbs, not just to make the shot more realistic, but also because it actually makes the Joes easier to make stand on their own. here, we have Vinnie teaching Tim about opposition of limbs, by socking him for being such a spaz. As you can see, Tim is finally demonstrating opposition of limbs!

I hope this has been useful to you newer Joetographers. I'm thinking about doing a few of these tips on staging and posing Joes.

Land Dadventurer

Sandbox Jedi #25
ITFC #0079
STFC #0002
T*O*M*B Raider
A.F.Am #0002 (Advocate For Atomic man)

"Have teeny-tiny gun, will travel."
"The just do not fear judgement."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bond007ca
Medic

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:04 am

No photos mate!!! But I would love to see them and you have some great ideas!

Cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AManfromcoalville
Action Sailor

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:29 am

This looks like it could be a really interesting article, Buzz, but there is a problem with the pics i.e. they haven't shown up!

Also, I think we have a problem with 'translation' here (at least I hope the word just got lost in translation)

I believe in the US, Spaz has a different connotation, but here in the UK, it's a BIG no no.  It's blatantly rude and offensive to disabled people, and has no place on a public forum.

If you do post future articles (and I sincerely hope you do when the pics are sorted) could you please bear this in mind?  Thanks.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am

I have read this article too over on the other forum and it is a fantastic thread ! we just need pics mate. The easiest way to do this is open up a second tab to your photobucket account. Then

flip back to ammo page and your post. Write your post, then flick back to pb tab,
go to share on the picture you want, and copy img code of picture
flip back to ammo post and copy img code into your post, then repeat for as many pictures you want.

hope this helps Buzz, it is the easiest way I know how to post pictures cheers 

Armoured Car Commander

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:47 am

I've also found the thread on the Tranches forum. Very informative. I love the last picture! I might try some action pictures like that myself.

BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving the universe again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Re edit..

Hi Buzz,
I've been meaning to tell people for ages about realistic poses for our troops, but chickened out in fear of causing offence and being booed off stage (sssssss) lol!

I used to spend hours seeing what type of realistic poses I could get out of my vam/joes, and still do.

I was amazed at how many people just used to plonk their vams/joes in front of the camera in a Monty Python Gumby style pose..
Rubber armed MAM's and sharp pointy sticks are excused. It would be great if you can give us some basic camera tips on how to get better photos from our cameras.

I did this one years ago, and rebadged a new (c) date, it was edited whist being a jpeg, it looks a little out of focus in places and a bit over exposed. This was taken on a very basic digital camera. Embarassed...

I'm looking forward to reading your camera tips Very Happy

Last edited by clivvers on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:43 pm

great shot Clive !

New Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:47 am

Hey, sorry about the photo thing. I tried to delete the thread but it didn't work. I'm going to try again, as a new thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somekindajoe
Russian Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:30 am

I have to agree with AManfromcoalville re the 'S' word. It's not something that's acceptable on a UK forum but can easily be changed on the post.

...but while on the subject of words...'joetography'. Love it! It's definitely entered the lexicon of our hobby!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs   

Back to top Go down

Joetography tip: Opposition of limbs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1