Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACKIE88

PostSubject: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:46 am

Yesterday I had a meeting and that lasted not that long and after that I had a job work wise but that did not start till 3:30 so I had 4 ours to kill so I went into town window shopping mostly around toy shops like there is one in a place called Jenners It's a Hamleys toy shop they have down stairs I went too. Looking around now a days it's not the same, yes they still have things like Lego, playmobil and Barbie but not Action Men anymore Sad Sad, I remember they was a big tall self that was just dedicated to ACTION MAN with a big orange Action Man logo on it and round the comer there was a self with Action Man outfits on it. Anyway All I'm saying is Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.

Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:43 am

You are definitely right there Alex, you grew up in an age where the big toy store where coming in to their own, but when I was a kid and I am sure a lot of guys here will agree, there were smaller shops like Youngsters, woolworths and Beaties as well as lots of very small independant toy shops, all of which have sadly all gone now giving way to huge toy chains like smyths and toys r us Rolling Eyes 
I remember one toy store in particular that had a large wooden glass fronted display cabinet that ran all the way around the shop, displaying all sorts of goodies, from vam to everything that was available at the time. I remember this shop so well because it was where my Father brought me my first Tom Stone cheers 

ahh the nostalgia !!

cheers cheers 

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:47 am

Zodiac was my favourite toy shop as a kid and when they closed i was gutted, couldnt even get a reduced vam outfit towards the end cos Steve had visited every zodiac in the country and bought it all!! lol but yes Alex it saddens me a great deal to enter modern toy shops, even what they sell these days stop children being able to use thier imagination, for example most of us played with toy cars as kids and we'd make our own garages,ramps and jumps ect... not now though! oh no... it can all be purchased as a must have accessory! Sad

SAS Underwater Attack

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:26 pm

yeah not the same at all who remembers the big woolworths display at blackpool

Breeches Buoy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:16 pm

I remember the shops full of Action Man, many years ago but these days there doesn't seem to be much 1/6th stuff about.
They had the Armed Forces figures, but these seem to have almost disappeared from the pages of Argos now.

Argos seems to be starting the 1/6th figures again with Iron Man, a few Star Wars figures and Spiderman, but the articulation in nothing compared with good old AM. It seems they've swapped the joints in figures for little boxes that make sounds or quote lines from films (which a lot of kids maybe shouldn't be watching at the age they're aiming the figures at!)

Deep Sea Diver

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 am

The best toy shop ever in N.Ireland was the old Model Shop in Lower Queen Street in Belfast, it later relocated to Upper Queen Street in the seventies and is still there today, but alas it is a poor reflection on it's sixties predecessor.
The original was simply amazing, floor to ceiling display cabinets of finished models as well as items for sale.
Upstairs they had a huge four lane Scalextric track white in colour instead of the normal black, probably took up about thirty feet by thirty.
My favourite item was a life size model of Christopher Lee as Dracula located just inside the entrance.

The good old days.....

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm

I clearly remember going into a Gamleys store in my hometown of Worthing when I was about 5 years old. My Dad was (and still is) a huge collector of Britains Toy Soldiers and he would take me into Gamleys when he was shopping for some new additions to his collections. I remember him buying me the SAS Parachute Attack in that very store.

We immigrated to Australia in 1988 and when I returned to England as an adult in 2001 the first thing I did was visit the local Gamleys store. One half of their front window was full to the brim with modern Action Man. A wall of orange!

Sadly the store closed around 2005 and became a bicycle shop...
Back to top Go down
TALLY HO
NAVY FROGMAN

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:32 pm

There used to be a massive shop in walsall back in the 70,s called sherwood and miller , 1st part of the shop was bikes and prams , then dolls ,and puzzels , then a huge part with the vam and britains soldiers , the shop went some time in the 90's shame realy ...... Best toy shop was one I seen in toulouse in france when I was ther with work , loads of world peacekeeper and indy stuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.   

Back to top Go down

Toy Shop's are not the same with out Modern Action Men about.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1