Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Danthecoat
Mountineer
Danthecoat

TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Empty
PostSubject: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:53 am

Hi Chaps

I wrote an article for the collectors gazette this month and they have now asked me to do more features about Action Man every Six Months as each Action Man Day Approaches so this should drum up some more interest and already has new people wanting to join both the collecting and the forum/forums which can only be GREAT news for the hobby.

TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Img_3410

Sadly there were a few mistakes in the final draft that they used to print and they forgot to credit

Roy for use of his Space Explorer picture
Vince and Ray for the use of the Aston Villa Figures

Also i would like to thank "Everyone" that i discussed this with and for their input, you know who you are Smile

Heres the correct Draft of the Article i wrote. Please note i am not professing to be any sort of expert on this and it wasnt just my opinion that put this together. I would have loved to have been able to poll a few other people but sadly things cant always be the way we want them. Therefore please READ the article and discuss what you think, if you disagree then say so and state why :)I really enjoyed doing this article and i will involve as many people as i can on ALL future articles about Action Man Smile

Action Man

Just a mere mention of the name, brings back floods of memories to every boy and some girls over the age of 35. Ask these people what their most memorable figure was and the answer will inevitably be their favourite childhood figure. Ask a collector what the rarest figure is and be ready to head one of the most furious debates concerning this hobby that is the cause for us to host a six monthly ACTION MAN DAY in Essex.
It’s fair to say that no two collections are the same, collectors collect in many different ways, some collect carded, and some collect loose or their childhood favourites, including the ones they always wanted but couldn’t ever afford. Some since the 40th anniversary re-released versions collect solely those but the completest as I am myself would collect everything from each separate period. This gives the collector a whole different task and is constantly rewarded with discoveries of discrepancies and a whole other world of collecting which can prove to be very costly indeed.
The popular periods are as follows and each have their own unique rarities but it is also true to say that one outfit in particular proves elusive (Due to the material it was made from) throughout all the periods and therefore could be argued as the rarest outfit of them all. Let’s take a look at each period and by doing this we can piece together some form of TOP TEN that can be discussed at length as it has been since Action Man was released.

1966-1969 Known as the Painted Head Era
This era produced some iconic Action Man outfits and some extremely rare pieces. We could mention both Nylon Football kits though White would be the rarer than the Red due to its colour, The whole range of Sportsman figures are considered rare, for example, The Olympian complete with unbroken Javelin, The Cricketer with the RARE Bails and Cricket Ball but by far the most desired item would be the 1st issue Judo outfit as pictured often fetching sums of £500 if complete with all belts.  

1970-1977 Known as the Flock Haired Era
Things were getting exciting with Action Man with the invention of the fuzzy hair and gripping hands which were both introduced during this period. Even more exciting is that this is the most popular production period and arguably produced the most rarities for the collector. Among these outfits were the stunning Ceremonials as pictured. The Sportsman range continued but since the Judo was no longer being produced attention turned towards Football with many wanting their Action Man displaying their favourite team colours. By far the rarest football outfit would be Aston Villa a complete one with Badge would command upwards of £900 every time, with perhaps Tottenham in close 2nd.
During this period Palitoy released what could be argued as the holy grail of Action Man collecting The Space Explorer, recently one was found on its original card and sold for £3000. It is worth mentioning I think that during this period Palitoy hosted a Trade Fair on board the HMS BELFAST and for this event produced a sailor with the Tally Band of that name. A few of these have surfaced over the years and many stories are told such as they were given out in goodie bags, sold on board in the gift shop etc. These urban myths and have caused there to be lots of copies made an example is pictured, suffice to say an original would always fetch over £1000 but a real minefield for the untrained collector.

1978-1984 Known as the Blue Pant Era
Action Man is given a completely new dynamic physique and some new exciting ranges which in turn produced a few rarities such as The Underground Rescue set complete with elusive belt and grapple hook, a strange outfit with a winch called high rescue which was often packaged wrong with two left parts to the two piece chest winch but if found complete The “Missile Assault” outfit would cost you up to £500 this was released by accident and quickly withdrawn thus making this an extremely difficult outfit to find at all let alone complete. Another reason is because of its rubber balaclava which perishes over time because it’s made from the same rubber material as one outfit that was released during every period and that was the Black Frogman. Few if any remain in mint condition in any collection and often this has either hardened, split or completely rotted away. The very first issue has a different Zip design to all the other releases and this would arguably be the RAREST ACTION MAN OUTFIT.    
When compiling this list of Rarest Action Man figures the biggest dealers and considered collectors were polled through http://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/forum though ALL collectors find different pieces rare or difficult to find this is one of the pleasures of the hobby and new rarities are being discovered every day for example a Newcastle Football Kit complete with Jacket released but then withdrawn from the 40th anniversary range could fetch up to £500 if sold today so a good bit of advice to any new collector would be to dismiss any of the Action Man 40th Anniversary range could prove a costly mistake.
Top Ten Rarest Outfit collection would be dependent on two issues

Monetary Value
1. Space Explorer £500-£3000
2. Aston Villa £500-£1000
3. Sailor HMS Belfast £500-£1000
4. Judo 1st Issue £200- £500
5. Nylon Footballer (White) £200- £500
6. Missile Assault £200-£500
7. Tottenham £100-£300
8. Newcastle 40th £100-£300
9. Underground Rescue £50-£100
10. Black Frogman (complete any condition) £50-£100

Difficulty Finding Complete or Good Condition
1. Frogman (Mint None known to still exist)
2. Missile Assault (complete with rubber Balaclava)
3. Sailor HMS BELFAST (Genuine example)
4. Space Explorer
5. Aston Villa
6. Nylon Footballer (White)
7. Tottenham
8. Judo (Complete with Belts)
9. Underground Rescue (complete)
10. Newcastle 40th Anniversary (complete)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:56 am

superb stuff Dan, could get a copy myself, so this was a great read ! thanks cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AManfromcoalville
Eagle Eyes
AManfromcoalville

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:20 am

Very good article, Dan - clear and to the point. Looking forward to more issues! GET SMART!

ak615
Heavy Weapons
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Picked up a copy yesterday on my way to physio,some inresting stuff in it particulary the Mars attacks article I always thought it was just a Tim Burton film Shocked 

Ddaydawson
Flock Head
Ddaydawson

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Fantastic article Dan, it was great read. Only problem is, Now I want more. Now any chance on elaborating on a few things in the article, you have me wanting to know more. I was wondering about the Missile Assault and it be released by accident. Could you let me know a little more about this. How was it released by accident and why was it an accident and did it get re-released not by accident.
Also whats a Nylon footballer red or white.

Love the fact about the HMS Belfast Tally band as I remember that like yesterday as I still remember been on the ship and been grumpy for days after, after my Dad refused to buy the the sailor for me.

3000 quid for a space explorer, Holy ****, hey didn't I see you with 2 not so long ago. Makes me really want one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danthecoat
Mountineer
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Ddaydawson wrote:
Fantastic article Dan, it was great read. Only problem is,  Now I want more. Now any chance on elaborating on a few things in the article, you have me wanting to know more. I was wondering about the Missile Assault and it be released by accident. Could you let me know a little more about this. How was it released by accident and why was it an accident and did it get re-released not by accident.
Also whats a Nylon footballer red or white.

Love the fact about the HMS Belfast Tally band as I remember that like yesterday as I still remember been on the ship and been grumpy for days after, after my Dad refused to buy the the sailor for me.

3000 quid for a space explorer, Holy ****, hey didn't I see you with 2 not so long ago. Makes me really want one.
The Special Assault Team was Created and designed by a Man called Greg Hughes, who was also responsible for the Space Ranger Series but i think he left to do Star Wars which was the next big thing so Bob Brechin had to finish the Special Assault Squad and he was the one who Designed the Missile Assault. When he had finished the rest of the team said that they hated it as it looked horrible and was top heavy therefore had no real great playability. Some were made up soley as Salesman Samples and these were given out to selected stores as a trial run like they did with a lot of new releases to test the market. Then when it was discovered the marketing team pulled the plug and no more were produced Sad. The really funny part of this story was that Bob didnt even know about this untill the day the questions were asked at the Museum event last year lol! lol! lol! 

The nylon Footballers were the first footballers to be released in the Palitoy Range and they were made from a thin fragile nylon material, not the thicker more sturdy cotton that was used on all the others. They were released as a red and a white kit on cards but because they were so fragile few exist in good quality.

The HMS BELFAST tally band was made just for the Toy Fair (Trade ONLY) and only a few were made probably 3 or 4 but there's not a definite memory of this by any of the surviving team. The only things that were certain was that they were NOT given away in goodie bags and NOT sold in the gift shop so maybe they just gave away the few that they made ????????????? What is certain is that even if your Dad had bought you one from the gift shop it wouldn't have had the BELFAST tally on it Sad

The Space Explorer that sold for £3000 was sold by Metropolis Toys and it was in fact a recard but it was an Original Card.

I did have two Space Explorers and one was recarded by a bloke called Ray Smith who has a superb carded collection and the other was one i had pieced together myself and was recarded to one of Roys Brilliant Cards that he produced.

I have since sold one to Tony Roberts so now we both own one Smile bounce 

Hope this all helps Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ddaydawson
Flock Head
Ddaydawson

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Awesome Dan,

Thanks so much for letting me know a more. I appreciate it.

Your certainly right about the sailor figure, although the Sailor was for sale on the ship I couldn't say what the tally band would have said. Is this the same for the HMS Renown tally band was it only available at Toy fair (Trade only)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danthecoat
Mountineer
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Ddaydawson wrote:
Awesome Dan,

Thanks so much for letting me know a more.  I appreciate it.

Your certainly right about the sailor figure, although the Sailor was for sale on the ship I couldn't say what the tally band would have said. Is this the same for the HMS Renown tally band was it only available at Toy fair (Trade only)
I dont know about that one to be honest. The only person i know that has a bona fide one is Roy (Actionmad) he would be the best to answer this question Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Danthecoat wrote:
I did have two Space Explorers and one was recarded by a bloke called Ray Smith who has a superb carded collection and the other was one i had pieced together myself and was recarded to one of Roys Brilliant Cards that he produced.

I have since sold one to Tony Roberts so now we both own one Smilebounce 

Hope this all helps Wink
And I absolutely love it!!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe90
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Joe90

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Good article, Danny. Concise and to the point, but still addresses the cool factor that VAM has. I like that you included a 40th piece in that top 10.

I can't comment on how accurate your list is. i'll leave that for the UK VAManiacs to debate. one question, though: I have a chocolate brown RMP that I bought in the early 1990's. I have gone over it and it doesn't appear to be a dye job. In around 1995 I was in contact with an Aussie VAM collector who had an extensive website, and he said that I possessed a rare early RMP. Apparently only a few were produced and then they switched to the regular colour.

I didn't buy the piece from him. I got it from Sean Green, a collector up in Lancashire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danthecoat
Mountineer
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Good article, Danny.  Concise and to the point, but still addresses the cool factor that VAM has.  I like that you included a 40th piece in that top 10.

I can't comment on how accurate your list is.  i'll leave that for the UK VAManiacs to debate.  one question, though: I have a chocolate brown RMP that I bought in the early 1990's.  I have gone over it and it doesn't appear to be a dye job.  In around 1995 I was in contact with an Aussie VAM collector who had an extensive website, and he said that I possessed a rare early RMP.  Apparently only a few were produced and then they switched to the regular colour.  

I didn't buy the piece from him.  I got it from Sean Green, a collector up in Lancashire.
I polled quite a few of the high end collectors and thats what we all came up with so its a list thats all i can say Doug Laughing  To be quite honest there were a few people i would like to have polled but for various reasons i couldnt get hold of them or they declined or would've declined etc............. Its just the start really which is why i offered it up for debate but im pleased to say that so far all the feedback has been very positive so it tells me its not far wrong Smile

Now the brown RMP now i am aware of this Doug, I saw one years ago when they held the Fairs at the Tank Museum but i was told a different story..................

These were produced in a real limited run as testers for the eventual released version. I was told that either they were seconds or that they had been produced as samples so the colour didnt matter as they were choosing the best material for the job.(Personally i believed the latter) There are also a few variations to what bits were added to the collars etc untill they finally decided. Either way you have one rare piece of Action Man History Doug and i will bring this up with Bob when i speak to him next. Smile

Have you got a picture ???????????????

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE SAY YES ????? bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
action bob
Eagle Eyes
action bob

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:03 pm

A very good read of the Article Danny, I didn't know about the Missile Assault being a mistake, thats probably why I can't get my hands on one

A fab read and very informative thank you for sharing all this info

Cheers
PJ Very Happy  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Cor. Wel done Dan. A great article and a great opportunity to bring VAM to the wider collecting world :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.creativecounselling.net
somekindajoe
Russian Infantry
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 4:46 pm

A great article Dan. A well chosen top ten and great reasoning for your selections.

Do you have the topics for future articles decided already or are you open to ideas? Maybe the AMMO membership could offer a few suggestions as to what facet of Action Man they'd like to be discussed next.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Top job Dan! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Awesome Job on the Article Dan, superb Dan well done..

Hawkeye
French Resistance
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Very intresting read Dan thanks cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 am

Great post Dan! It's very intresting to read, well done! cheers cheers cheers 

TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE 36802940025_0f91338ef6_o
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE   TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TOP TEN RAREST FIGURES PUBLISHED IN COLLECTORS GAZETTE
Page 1 of 1