ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Octobers Interview Bigbear

Go down 
+10
action-johnny
Beatlefan
Ddaydawson
inntruderr61
TALLY HO
action bob
somekindajoe
Danthecoat
ak615
BAMComix
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

Octobers Interview Bigbear Empty
PostSubject: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 am

Name ?
John or Jon Palmer, depending how well you know me - I had to change my "stage" name to Jon as there was already somebody with my name when I registered as copyright owner of my music with the MCPS. Good old British beaurocracy!

Online name ?
Bigbear - Also the name of my business, in forums generally and on ebay, etc. It's what my kids called me when they were little!

Location ?
Devon/Somerset border, UK.

First Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figure ?
A brown painted hair soldier. Must have been the Christmas that they came out, or around that time. I had the accessory packs to make up the full combat soldier too, then the Mountie mailaway and so on... My prize possession was one of the Cherilea armoured cars, which I loved and spent many happy hours driving through the sand pile at the back of our farmyard.

Favourite figure now ?
I've two original PH VAMs in my collection, one in a vintage Scramble Pilot uniform, one in the Mountie gear. Hard to choose, but the Mountie is probably it, as I remember getting the brown cardboard parcel through the post for my original one and how excited I was!

Most desired item ?
A black frogman suit which won't perish... Oh! You mean for my VAM? Sorry... Yup, a frogman suit! My original perished, my 40th. one is going fast and I'm not sure that the 40th. GI Joe version won't follow it shortly, despite it being much thicker. I'm told that somebody did make a version that used acrylic rather than rubber, which is stable, but I've never seen one.

What will you do with your collection as you get older ?
Enjoy it and keep collecting until either I have had enough of it, go bonkers or pop my clogs... I'll also replace my 40th. gripper figures with vintage hard hand versions as I can afford them!

Do you set yourself a budget ?
My day job is giving audio/visual support in a local school, which keeps us in shoes and sandwiches, but I also write music, play in a band and teach guitar. The long suffering Mrs Bigbear and I have agreed that a portion of that extra money is mine to squander - I mean spend - as I wish, so it all depends on how busy I keep myself...

Worst Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figure ?
Horrible Eagle-Eye figures.... I've got a few 40th ones, that came dressing uniforms but as I've already said, intend to replace them as soon as I can afford to! I've never really appreciated the MAM range at all either. The lack of a consistent scale for weapons, the moulded suits and those huge hands all put me off, I'm afraid!

Views on 40th reproductions ?
Fantastic! I got back into the hobby via the 40th. range and can actually afford some of the rarer uniforms now. The only thing I wish is that the range was clearly marked '40th' the same as the GI Joe stuff is. It would save a lot of grief later for collectors who want to buy real vintage! Yes, the figures don't seem quite as durable as the vintage ones, but I imagine they would have cost double if they were exactly the same quality!

Worst item of the Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 range ?
Probably the gripping hands with dissolving properties that arrived with the 40th range. I can live with the discolouring helmet straps, etc., but those hands are pretty fundamental to most poses
Best thing about collecting Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figures ?
Being able to kitbash items to make up almost any uniform I want. Mainly though, I collect to bring back a little of my far distant and happy childhood.

Do you think your collection will be collectible in the future ?
I think that Action Man will become recognised as one of the iconic toys of the 20th. century - if nothing else, as the first 'doll' for boys! I hope my kids will get something for it when the time comes.
If you did not collect Vam/Joe/Mam what would you collect ?
Oooohhhh... I'm already a huge Doctor Who collector. I also buy Airfix polythene and plastic kit military vehicles, Thunderbirds stuff, Minic Ships, N Gauge railways, Britains tractors... Enough already?

Why do you like AMMO ?
It's somewhere to share my hobby. Lots of friendly info., lots of humour and some great characters to exchange views with! Friendship for the 21st. Century!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 am

What a great interview buddy !! always great to get to know you better cheers 
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:27 am

Good read BB, thanks for taking time out to do this Very Happy 

Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 am

Great interview Big Bear Smile

Would love to hear some of your music ??? any on you tube ???? I do like a home grown band with real instruments reminds me of my youth and my band and my song they was going to enter for song for Britain. lol! lol! lol! shows you how cool my song writing was lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Great stuff cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Great interview Bigbear! I agree with you on so many of the points you made.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
action bob
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
action bob

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Great interview bigbear, was an enjoyable read. And I'm with you on the mam weapons, why are they so big!!
Back to top Go down
TALLY HO
Armoured Car Commander
TALLY HO

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 am

Great interview .... Enjoyable read
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 am

nice interview! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Ddaydawson
Painted Head
Ddaydawson

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 7:35 am

A really good interveiw Big Bear. Great to learn more about you. I certainly have the same thoughts as you with the MAM, I think they really missed the chance to bring back how awesome Action man was to play with. I never did get those hands and why they were so large. Those moulded uniforms were shocking and really just ruined the chance for kids to customize.
I also would love to hear some of your music.
Great interveiw BB.
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Great interview BB, good to hear your views on this wonderful hobby! Very Happy 

Octobers Interview Bigbear Volgan10
Back to top Go down
action-johnny
Painted Head
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Great interview bigbear. I love music with a passion too.
I hope you have the room with all those other things you collect!!! Smile 
Back to top Go down
Joe90
Eagle Eyes
Joe90

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Good read, Bigbear!

There is a guy in Brazil who does repop wetsuits using modern latex. I understand they are really nice. Apparently the GI Joe wetsuits are latex as well and so won't perish as quickly as the others.
Back to top Go down
BigBear
Painted Head
BigBear

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah, I've heard about him, but have no idea how to contact him or find out what he charges. I wonder if one could be made with black bathroom sealant? After all, Jacques Cousteau made the original wet suit by painting his friends with latex... (Sounds like fun?). Might give it a go one day. With an Action Man, of course!What a Face 
Back to top Go down
http://www.broadbandceilidh.co.uk
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Thbks for taking the time to do the interview BB. I'm moving house soon so have been tidying up and found something you might like so PM me your address and I'll post it as soon as I can :-) it's
Nothing big but I hope you'll enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
BigBear
Painted Head
BigBear

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Sparkys6887 wrote:
Thbks for taking the time to do the interview BB. I'm moving house soon so have been tidying up and found something you might like so PM me your address and I'll post it as soon as I can :-) it's
Nothing big but I hope you'll enjoy it.
Hi!

Not sure if you got my PM, but thanks for the comic, which I've enjoyed looking at no end! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi mate. Did ger your PM had been intending to reply but brain like a sieve at the moment having moved house yesterday. I'm pleased you enjoyed the comic. All the best Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
BigBear
Painted Head
BigBear

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 pm

S'OK, no worries, just didn't want you to think I wasn't grateful. I hope your move went OK.
Back to top Go down
BigBear
Painted Head
BigBear

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Oh, talking of brains like sieves... After I mentioned it in the interview and seeing Somekindajoe's pics in the motor pool, I've bought an Irwin armoured scout car! It's not here yet, but I've already cleared a space on my shelf for it. I am inexplicably happy to have got it - must be the warm glow of nostalgia? :-)
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 1:42 pm

well done BB on your latest addition my friend cheers 
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 1:42 pm

BigBear, (John) what an awesome Interview, really enjoyed reading it, Very Happy 

Painted Head
BigBear

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 1:23 am

Thanks for all the kind remarks, guys and gals. I'm trying to find some footage of my music to post. Will let you all know when I find it! I wonder who will be November's member of the month? JP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Octobers Interview Bigbear   Octobers Interview Bigbear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Octobers Interview Bigbear
Page 1 of 1