Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Help from cyclist please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkys6887
Adventurer

PostSubject: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 am

Well, my dad and brother are converting my bike to an electric bike. I'm going to be using it three/four days a week to commute the two miles to work and back. As most of you know I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (which is flaring in my skin and stomach lining at the moment and hurts) and Syringomyelia I want to get fitter and need independent transport after our recent house move.

My question is about waterproofs. Can anyone recommend a cheap ish Hi Vis jacket that's waterproof and breathable and trousers too. I'm Skint after the move so has to be affordable :-) need to get one quick as due to my disability can't really afford to get knocked off and it's been dark and wet recently so need all the visibility I can get. 

Thanks guys

Mark
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.creativecounselling.net
joeman
Armoured Car Commander

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:13 am

No ideas on the clothing, but I would set the bike up with a series of bright LEDs, clear forward, yellow on sides, and red on rear just like a car. It isn't to hard to do. That might help you being readily seen by assh*le drivers, as I'm sure you have them over there too!

Rick
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gijoesquartermaster.webs.com
Ddaydawson
Eagle Eyes (Gripping Hands)

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:41 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Lightweight-hi-vis-cycling-bike-jacket-medium-2nd-/331063802023?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item4d14f0b8a7

Jackets are pretty cheap Mark. When you want to get pants as well it does start to get more expensive. Ebay does have some great value for money sets. I run a lot so I us hi vis clothing and I have found wiggle.co.uk to be a great site but again not to sure on pants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PH5121
Action Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:28 am

Keep your eyes peeled for offers at Aldi or Lidl (sorry I cannot remember which store it is of the two).
They have special offers on cycling stuff from time to time - usually starting on a Thursday. I have not got first hand experience of the gear, but have read positive stuff about it on other forums.

It may also be worth looking at go outdoors if there is one in your area. They stock cycling gear which does not cost a fortune.

Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkys6887
Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks guys. 

Feel excited about getting back on a push bike. Part of me wishes it were a motorbike but I'm sure it'll be fun and I might just get a bit fitter :-)

All the best
Back to top Go down
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:02 pm

PH5121 wrote:
Keep your eyes peeled for offers at Aldi or Lidl (sorry I cannot remember which store it is of the two).
They have special offers on cycling stuff from time to time - usually starting on a Thursday. I have not got first hand experience of the gear, but have read positive stuff about it on other forums.

It may also be worth looking at go outdoors if there is one in your area. They stock cycling gear which does not cost a fortune.

Paul
this gear is pretty good quality as made for the german market but any gore tex breathable waterproof clothing should suffice ,i would spend my money on a decent helmet though!

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe90
Mine Detection

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:50 pm

I have done a fair amount of cycle camping -- I spent over 2 months in a very rainy UK.

I would suggest you're going to get wet no matter what you wear and so would suggest you get a pair of all weather cycling pants and buy a decent pair of "Waterproof" overpants and then change into your street clothes (safely stowed in a plastic bacg in your back pack) once you arrive at your destination.

Good quality rain jackets, whether they're gortex or a similar material, are pretty cheap these days, but once they get dirty they tend to be less rain worthy. A decent rain jacket that has good venting is just as effective.

The bottom line is that you should consider changing into warm and dry (free of both rain or perspiration moisture) clothing once you get to your destination.

Sparkys6887
Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:03 am

Thnks Jay. Got myself a really good helmet when I bought the bike and was living on the flat. Last time I fell and hit my head my operation site was badly bruised and my neiluro symptoms were way worse for about a year so I don't want that again. 

That's a good idea Doug, hadn't thought about that and a simple solution. Had to walk in the rain to work onMonday and sit in wet clothes all day. Ended up with dreadfully sore throat and feeling crap. Cos I'm immuno suppressed I can't afford to be sitting round in wet clothes, tired with ill people so I think I'll do that :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help from cyclist please   

Back to top Go down

Help from cyclist please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1