ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which type of paint to use.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fonnezz
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

Which type of paint to use. Empty
PostSubject: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 pm

I want to paint a German officers hat white so i can use it for a kitbash German sailor i am creating. What type of white paint should i sue to paint over the green on the hat being as the hat is a rubber type.
Back to top Go down
Cappy
Eagle Eyes (Gripping Hands)
Cappy

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 7:18 am

I've used acrylic paint with varying results. Make sure you wash the hat in detergent to remove any grease first. Mainly it's been very effective but when I painted some black berets red they remaind tacky and the paint came off and stained some clothes they were stored with.

Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 am

The best way to do this I've found is to use a matt varnish spray first then paint, then varnish, if you need
More of a lustre on the hat buff with a cloth, using straight acrylics will always dry sticky.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 am

I`ve given my hats a coat of PVA before painting with acrylic paint.

and degrease etc beforehand

Last edited by ak615 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cappy
Eagle Eyes (Gripping Hands)
Cappy

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 am

brownboots wrote:
The best way to do this I've found is to use a matt varnish spray first then paint, then varnish, if you need
More of a lustre on the hat buff with a cloth, using straight acrylics will always dry sticky.
Good luck!
Good tip will try that.

Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 am

Cheers Guys,

Need to go shopping now for paint!!
Back to top Go down
Paintedhead5121
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
Paintedhead5121

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 am

I have had success painting rubber berets and hats with acrylics from the Tamiya range. I have also tried artists acrylic paint, but as other posters have commented, this paint remained sticky.

With the Tamiya acrylics the paint dried to a nice finish and was not at all sticky.
Back to top Go down
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

What you need is a good spray varnish, I've been using Humbrol and also when I can
Get it Testors Dullcote which is meant to be the best, in terms of paint Citadel Paints
From Games Workshop work well and they have a great range of colours and effect washes
I find they are really helpfully and might suggest a method or colour for whatever job
You may undertake. If you can run to it a nice brush does help the best being the Windsor and Newton
Series 7, they are expensive but with good maintanence will last you years and give you a great finish.

Hope this helps....if you need any other tips....just ask!
Back to top Go down
Fonnezz
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 pm

brownboots wrote:
What you need is a good spray varnish, I've been using Humbrol and also when I can
Get it Testors Dullcote which is meant to be the best, in terms of paint Citadel Paints
From Games Workshop work well and they have a great range of colours and effect washes
I find they are really helpfully and might suggest a method or colour for whatever job
You may undertake. If you can run to it a nice brush does help the best being the Windsor and Newton
Series 7, they are expensive but with good maintanence will last you years and give you a great finish.

So again, varnish first, then paint and varnish again?
Back to top Go down
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Fonnezz wrote:
brownboots wrote:

So again, varnish first, then paint and varnish again?

Pretty much, get your first varnish layer on, it should dry with a matt finish then get on your first coat
And second coat a good tip would be to lightly sand the surface, I've a really used sanding block that's
Incredibly worn down but it just gives a tiny bit of abrasion you may get the same effect from a nail buffer
That has various stages of abrasion, then give it a last coat. You may find that buffing parts of the hat
Ie. the peak with a cotton cloth will give it a glossier lustre and will save you from having to buy a gloss varnish!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which type of paint to use.   Which type of paint to use. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which type of paint to use.
Page 1 of 1