ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The return of Cliff Sabre.

Go down 
+11
gibri
TALLY HO
Glidah Drivah
Wolf_Soldier64
Rossini
Beatlefan
Captian action
Jet-
Reddragon
TheOneManKid
somekindajoe
15 posters
AuthorMessage
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

The return of Cliff Sabre. Empty
PostSubject: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 6:42 pm

The return of who? Well thats the trouble! When I rescued my VAM from the loft in 2008 I took Joe and Hank out of the box and never bothered with the rest of my childhood guys. While Joe and Hank got plastered across half my forum posts the other guys laguished forgotten in my old toy box. Well all that is about to change and here's the 1st of the rest of my old guys fresh from his recent rebuild..

Clifford Sabre.

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2867_zps7ae91a06

The name? It is a bit Max Power I suppose but I was only 9 when I named him! My aunt was a huge Cliff Richard fan which might have had something to do with my choice. I have a sneeking suspicion Hank got named the same way. So Cliff it was. Where did Sabre come from? I half remember an item on Blue Peter or Magpie about fencing and thought Sabre sounded suitably militaristic and macho.

Cliff reported for duty at SKJ HQ easter 1971. It was perfect timing as my cousin (and chief AM playing partner) was staying with us for the school holiday. Cliff was my 1st 'free with 21 stars' mailaway figure. I'd sent the completed star card to Palitoy what seemed like a lifetime ago and was amazed when he finally turned up. I remember saying 'Thank you' to the postman..I was such a polite child!

I can even remember the 1st adventure Cliff had when he joined Joe and the team (Hank wouldn't turn up for another year and a half). The team were exploring the Amazonian jungle when they discovered the ruins of an Aztec city.

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2862_zps36d94855
(modern re-enactment!)

They were immediately attacked by strange flying 'Wraiths' who were guarding the city. After battling the wraiths, the team discovered they were in fact robot defence drones controlled by a long abandoned underground alien computer.

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2856_zps2b9342c0
(For the alien wraiths I used some 'Mexican god's eyes' we'd made at school...and would you believe I still had one up the loft!)

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2858_zps522865b3

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2866_zpsb9de894c

Cliff and the team destroyed the alien computer and escaped the city just before it exploded. It was all the usual sort of thing we saw Captain Kirk do every week on Star Trek. Looking back, you have to remember it was the early '70s. 'we've discovered an alien computer beneath an Aztec ruin' (possibly the greatest discovery in the history of mankind) 'Lets blow it up!' lol! 

Cliff's performance in the jungle must have impressed the higher-ups as he was soon promoted to 2nd in command of my team.  About a year later he assumed command when the then team leader 'Richards' was medically discharded with terminally snapped elastic. He served with distinction and it couldn't have been easy being Joe and Hank's commanding officer!

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2878_zps3f8fb528

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Last edited by somekindajoe on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 6:45 pm

The Reunion!

For Joe and Hank meeting your ex-boss nearly 40 years later must seem wierd. Especially when he was your superior at a time when you were young and reckless and his main concern was ensuring you didn't do anything stupid! However, the passage of time can do nothing to bonds forged in the crucible of battle. Once a brother in arms, always a brother in arms.

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2869_zps53755e5f

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2870_zpsa019b7a7

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2871_zps58f7bdd2

We're the old timers now. Operational duties-wise, Cliff will command the urban camo'ed Tactical Response Team and Joe will run the field platoon. As for Hank? He isn't even in the army, he's a sailor and  the legitimacy 40 years later of a temporary secondment from the Royal Navy is anyone's guess!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Last edited by somekindajoe on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 6:48 pm

This is Cliff straight out of the loft in 2008.

The return of Cliff Sabre. Armless_zps711133c5

'armless and definitely the worse for wear. 'Playworn' is probably the term but a bit of an understatement.

The return of Cliff Sabre. Cimg1410_zps9a34daaa

After a visit to the OneManKid hospital for a re-string (many thanks Ralph!). His broken limbs can be seen in the background. Also check out his dodgy flock. I'm a believer in the theory that Palitoy quite often used 'seconds' and quality control rejects for thier star scheme freebies. Cliff had this flock problem and my other 21 star guy a little later had a moulding defect on his hand.

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2863_zps209124a7

Maybe I was trying to add a bit of maturity to my team leader because around 1973 I tried to give him 'Reed Richards' style gray temples using Airfix paint. I wasn't that successful but luckily now we live in the future and have 'Flocktastic'...

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2855_zpscd41a535

I'm really please to have Cliff back on active service and would like to thank everyone (you know who you are!) who nagged me into rebuilding him..and I'm now definiely a Flocktastic fan!

Last edited by somekindajoe on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Wow Steve, Cliff looks terrific !!!, love the re enactment shoot and that new flock looks terrific !. Great to see joe and hank seem happy with his return too.
In your thread you mentioned other old soldiers, I look forward to seeing these guys back too !,  cheers cheers cheers 

I look forward to their new adventures together  cheers 
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:05 pm

He looks effing fantastic Steve, what a difference from when he came to Tom K HQ for some new body parts, he looked in a sorry state indeed! I could barely look at him...Laughing  Now I might just steal him off you...lol! 

What a great makeover and story... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Reddragon
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:17 pm

He looks fantastic SKJ, great story cheers cheers cheers

Jet-
Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 pm

What a great story Steve and good memory .
Love Cliffs man hug from Hank !
Some nice photos too
Back to top Go down
Jet-
Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:39 pm

P.s I've thought about giving my old fellas a revamp but just can't bring myself to go for it .
Might start with my tom stone , but need some missing limbs .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 8:42 pm

good to see him back in action
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:05 am

fantastic steve ! cliff sabre ,what a great name , you have done him a great service he looks awesome mate !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenThe return of Cliff Sabre. G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Great work Steve, good to see another of your childhood VAM back in action! Great set of pics too, well done to all involved in the restoration.

The return of Cliff Sabre. Volgan10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Exciting and inspiring. Always good to see another oldie reporting back for duty!!!  cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Rossini
Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Great stuff Steve!!!! The hugging photo brought a tear to my eye.. Great background and brilliant resurection of 'cliff' Smile
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Great Photos Steve, nice to meet Cliff Sabre  lol! , awesome upload look forward to future stories of Cliff and the gang  lol! lol! 

Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:35 pm

Cliff looks great! You're putting those 21st uniforms to good use as well!

-Nate
Back to top Go down
TALLY HO
Armoured Car Commander
TALLY HO

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 3:49 pm

great photos , I enjoyed the background to Cliff's history , thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 5:46 am

It's a great thing to find and restore an "old soldier," but it's kinda strange to think the way we treat our Joes and A/M, they will out-last all of us in the real world.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Pics repaired! . . and am I going to be miffed when post-image pulls the plug in a few years like photobucket just has!

The return of Cliff Sabre. IMG_2863_zps209124a7

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Nice one Steve! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Great restoration of the restoration photos, Steve!

Let's hope Post-Image treats you better.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Flickr is very safe, I class it as the "Safe House" of the free photo hosting websites.

It's nice to see folks reposting their missing photos.

Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Well done Steve, great work! cheers

The return of Cliff Sabre. Volgan10
Back to top Go down
blackbrazen
Eagle Eyes
blackbrazen

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 4:01 am

What a fantastic story. I've been inspired to look out my old Action Men. I'll post pics once I have time to get properly started!
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 am

Great stuff Steve! cheers

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 8:13 am

blackbrazen wrote:
What a fantastic story. I've been inspired to look out my old Action Men. I'll post pics once I have time to get properly started!

Sounds awesome! we love the old vam stories here cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The return of Cliff Sabre.   The return of Cliff Sabre. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The return of Cliff Sabre.
Page 1 of 1