ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What does Action Man mean to you?

Go down 
+7
Beatlefan
Sparklebudgie
Captian action
Col
TheOneManKid
BAMComix
somekindajoe
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

What does Action Man mean to you? Empty
PostSubject: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 5:30 pm

(I've started this thread as I can't find Dal's original one from a few months ago and I wanted to post in it!)

My Teddy!

What does Action Man mean to you? DSCF7113_zps9d025b1e

Before you all start thinking a middle aged man with a teddy is a bit strange let me explain.  lol!  My grandparents bought this teddy on the way to the hospital to see me for the first time on the the day I was born. It was obviously the first thing I ever owned and equally obviously it's the thing I've owned the longest. It sits on a shelf in my bedroom and I probably don't even look at it for months on end but if I lost it I'd be devastated.
How attached you can be to a pretty financially worthless inanimate object really got brought home to me this week when Joe and Hank went off to Flocktastic. I would say I didn't lay in bed at night worrying about them but you'd know I was lying! The thought of them in a little cardboard box getting kicked around the maelstrom of the Royal Mail postal service really wasn't inductive to a good night's sleep! lol!

What does Action Man mean to you? DSCF7114_zps4921261b

So what does Action Man mean to me? Well certain ones are a tangible link to the past, old comrades you've know for years..either that or I'm getting far to sentimental in my old age!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Great post Steve!, nice teddy too!, I have one somewhere, but no doubt packed away in a box somewhere! (and now I am going to have to find it!.., git! lol! ).
Anyone who has spoken to me knows, Jake and my oldest four other vam are my favourites, I call them the CH5 (Childhood5). They have all been re built since their many adventures when I was a kid, would I be without them?, any of them? not on your life! lol!

Jake

What does Action Man mean to you? 007_zpsafcc1f75

The lads, (from left to right, Goldie, Tom Stone, Jake, Smiley Joe and Pepe) The CH5

What does Action Man mean to you? Childhood5004_zps7a07fac3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 pm

The best childhood ever in the best place ever with the best parents ever.

Simple really.

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm

I still have my Action Man, but unfortunately my two teddies are lost with the partner split, I miss them a lot, but at least my Action Man survived that, along with all the other traumas both me and him have been through these last 40 years or so... Very Happy

What Action Man means to me is a link back to those care free days of the late 60s and early 70s of playing outside in the dirt and grit. In the 21st Century, an ability to live out dreams and fantasies with him that I couldn't even imagine back in 1970!

Here is my original Action Man - Tom K, looking better than ever and just back from a cool trip to Prague...

What does Action Man mean to you? Tom_k_11

Wish I had my teddies to post up here, would be great fun!

Back to top Go down
Col
New Recruit
Col

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:30 pm

sirsidneyruffdiamond wrote:
The best childhood ever in the best place ever with the best parents ever.

Simple really.

Yes this sums it up for me too. It was a very happy period of my childhood.
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 8:14 am

somekindajoe wrote:
(I've started this thread as I can't find Dal's original one from a few months ago and I wanted to post in it!)

Before you all start thinking a middle aged man with a teddy is a bit strange let me explain.  

Er hang on mate ,no need to explain! after all you are posting on a site where we all collect a childhood toy ,our mutual friend !
and action man reminds me of my happy childhood and the man who introduced him to me my fantastic DAD

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenWhat does Action Man mean to you? G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Sparklebudgie
Sabotage
Sparklebudgie

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 10:10 am

somekindajoe wrote:

My Teddy!

What does Action Man mean to you? DSCF7113_zps9d025b1e

Before you all start thinking a middle aged man with a teddy is a bit strange let me explain.  lol!  My grandparents bought this teddy on the way to the hospital to see me for the first time on the the day I was born. It was obviously the first thing I ever owned and equally obviously it's the thing I've owned the longest. It sits on a shelf in my bedroom and I probably don't even look at it for months on end but if I lost it I'd be devastated.

So what does Action Man mean to me? Well certain ones are a tangible link to the past, old comrades you've know for years..either that or I'm getting far to sentimental in my old age!

Lol, I thought I was the only one! Introducing Panda, I've had her nearly 53 years.
What does Action Man mean to you? 5a860d278c9589dc9eecc9412fe46008_zps103806e5
She shared the maternity cot with me!

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 10:13 am

cool, another teddy survivor ! bounce
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Wish I still had my original AM from my childhood but alas they are long gone.

The only surviving toyswie are a couple of Star Wars figures.

When the 40th sets came out they brought back so many memories of my childhood, hours and hours of fun with the best toy ever!

What does Action Man mean to you? Volgan10
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 pm

'Panda' looks great Brian..and I feel a bit more normal knowing it isn't just me! lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Sparklebudgie
Sabotage
Sparklebudgie

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
'Panda' looks great Brian..and I feel a bit more normal knowing it isn't just me! lol!
Yes, but it might be just you and me! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:20 pm

heres mine
What does Action Man mean to you? IMG_20141014_232329_zps3626049f
47/48 years young
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 am

very cool
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 12:55 pm

skj sparkle snow ( why is it you all start with the letter s ) either we are all normal or nobody is and i know what i think it is Very Happy

Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Awwwww snow white your chimpanzee looks so cute. what's the story behind him can I ask ?

Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Here is my Peter Polar Bear who I got for my very first present from my parents for Christmas 1988 Very Happy.
What does Action Man mean to you? IMG_3789_zps2ab50b86

What does Action Man mean to you? IMG_3790_zps89e5f38b

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 2:30 pm

cool bear mate bounce
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks Dal Very Happy.

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 7:29 pm

...do you know what? I recently saw a new 'vintage' teddy that I thought could replace my 'lost' one...I might just have to go and buy it! Razz

Back to top Go down
Sparklebudgie
Sabotage
Sparklebudgie

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 11:56 pm

Great to see our "softer" side bounce cheers

New Recruit
Col

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 1:48 am

Im very lucky to still have my origional AM and some uniforms from when i was ten namely the red devil suit, the commando it came in the box with and the guardsman uniform. The frogman suit has dried out but the mask and air cyclinders ect are still ok. Oh and my armoured car from the same time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any of my original VAM. I still have a few ragged bits of clothing (and I do mean ragged) But I still have my cherilia german motor bike and side car.

I think my oldest toys that I still own would be my Pelham puppet Giant and pirate, still in their boxes.
The pics are not mine though.

What does Action Man mean to you? 540x360

What does Action Man mean to you? A691
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Sadly, I don't have my original teddy bears, as they went to my daughter many years back and I'm not sure where they are now and I do not dare not ask... Sad

But, happily I do have my Action Man and my wife also bought a new teddy this year (not for me honest!) and here they are together all snuggy and cosy... oooh! did I really just say that?

lol!

What does Action Man mean to you? Tom_k_27

Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 1:08 am

Action Man is a link back to the past when life seemed much rosier and less stressful. The figure is a representation of us the human race, it stimulates personal play and interaction with the figure, via posing it and using the minds eye for fantasy action adventure, this can be done alone or in a group with others, it has strong educational values too. My scalextric and Tri-ang/Hornby trains are also a reminder of those happier times.

Action Man should never be used for 15 minutes of fame, or in a selfish way. The toy represents a hero, a role model and close companion for some who didn't have a dad around, it also helped make new friends, it broke down any barriers with other kids back in the day.

Action Man will easily outlast all the latest technology and gadgets, the toy doesn't have obsolescence built in like nearly everything electrical these days. Action Man is still popular 40+ years later, it will outlast a Windows 8 computer, an iPhone and your washing machine! Stuff iPhones for kids! let's get toys back on their Christmas wants list again.

Clivvers shall never comply, or drink sprout juice pirat

Hawkeye
Australian Jungle Fighter
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 12:53 pm

lol! Well said Clive
A hero in his own right, he has brought entertainment and imagination to all who have been lucky enough to own one (or more) Laughing , as the adventures were and still are never ending Very Happy and something that was a magical seed in a childs mind all them years ago, and so powerful to still be loved when that child gets in his fifties, now that's something marvelous, we all know the feeling that this foot tall superhero has given us, from the very first meeting all those years ago to the new thrills he still brings us all, this is a life long friendship that is a gift created in yours and my minds from our loyal and un-biased companions bom pass his spirit on to all our children and don't let them be clogged up in i-pads and electronic games world Shocked Give them back the real meaning of play and really great toys to enjoy Very Happy
Long Live Action Man and what he stands for cheers cheers cheers

PostSubject: Re: What does Action Man mean to you?   What does Action Man mean to you? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What does Action Man mean to you?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next