ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Different size Joe heads

Go down 
+7
Captian action
clivvers
somekindajoe
inntruderr61
Paintedhead5121
pachwerk
TheOneManKid
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Case of big head syndrome...
I have 1 sea adventurer with a larger head then the others I just noticed... scratch

Eagle Eyes
Joe90

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 12:30 am

TheOneManKid wrote:
because they are both early AT figures and some old paint heads might have been used for flocking.

The use of flocked PH heads in the early days of the Adventure Team is an accepted fact. I have one (He's now ref locked) and most collectors I know have a few AT heads where the flock has come off to show the paint underneath.

Your description of the larger head being oversized so that head gear fits differently is interesting. You asked if anyone else noted a similarity to the picture of the head in the head shots posted by Jim (Intruderr61). That is an early 1964 Squishyhead. From the front on shot I'd say that your head is not a Squishyhead, but I'd have to see it from other angles to be sure. It sure looks like a post patent Softhead

Are you thinking it's a Squishyhead?

If the Softheads did leach the plasticizer is it possible that the paint created a seal and prevented it from shrinking?
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 am

Joe90 wrote:
The use of flocked PH heads in the early days of the Adventure Team is an accepted fact. I have one (He's now ref locked) and most collectors I know have a few AT heads where the flock has come off to show the paint underneath.
I'd love to see some clear photos that show red or blonde paint under damaged flock, I have seen a very poor photo of what looks like brown paint under a damaged flock.

Joe90 wrote:
Your description of the larger head being oversized so that head gear fits differently is interesting.
It is and that is why I posted the original photo. Tom K is one of the first fuzz heads in the UK; bought 1970. He had a green tinged surface under his flock, not sure if it was paint or glue. The 'oversized' heads seem to be fairly common in that period of Action Men, as with Diesel; he was an early Talking Commander. I also have a Man of Action head that is the same size and similar sculpt to Tom K. The Land Adventurer heads shown are a different sculpt, but are of the same size. The circumference on all is 4 7/8" measured around the largest part of the head including the eyebrow ridge. Of the stripped heads the one on the left is 1/4" inch smaller in circumference. I also have a Sea Adventurer head here that is 4 7/8" circumference I've just discovered, it looks to be a different sculpt again, perhaps like Jim's. I can do a quick pic if interested.

Joe90 wrote:
You asked if anyone else noted a similarity to the picture of the head in the head shots posted by Jim (Intruderr61).  That is an early 1964 Squishyhead.  From the front on shot I'd say that your head is not a Squishyhead, but I'd have to see it from other angles to be sure.  It sure looks like a post patent Softhead.

Are you thinking it's a Squishyhead?
Seven is not a squishy head, I am pretty sure he is a post patent soft head as well. He has post patent markings, but I cannot confirm that is his original body configuration. I thought he looked like #10 in Jim's photo examples, is that a squishy or soft head?

Joe90 wrote:
If the Softheads did leach the plasticizer is it possible that the paint created a seal and prevented it from shrinking?
I have no idea on this one. I'm yet to be convinced that shrinkage explains the different size heads in the fuzz head period. All of my smaller headed fuzzies are at my weekend home, so cannot provide any further measurements today. I think they're all slightly different sizes, I'll measure them next weekend.

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: The guy on the left   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 8:00 pm

The guy on the left is back from Flocktastic and is now my 'black beard' adventurer... Very Happy  

I've also built this Cots/Joe hybrid body for him. I replaced the hip balls as the originals had become distorted, so he wouldn't stand properly and replaced the chest piece with a nice vintage one, as I don't like the Cots chest piece so much. He's turning out to be a great little figure. Just need to kit him out now... Very Happy

Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Arturo11

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Very nice figure indeed but yep he needs clothes... lol!

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 8:18 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:

Thanks Jim, actually with a little surgery, I've found that a Cots body can be pretty good and pose well... Cool

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 12:25 am

TheOneManKid wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:

Thanks Jim, actually with a little surgery, I've found that a Cots body can be pretty good and pose well... Cool

You did a great job! Very Happy
What uni you using for him?

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Here's a close up of the head, but not sure on the look for him yet, something will come... Very Happy

Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Arturo10

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Black Beard Adventurer, what do you think?   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 8:46 pm

So, I think I have a look for my little black bearded friend! What do you guys think?

Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Iker_b10

Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 pm

You've done a good job on your hybrid Joe. The flocking is very nice, kind of like velvet Very Happy

TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 9:17 pm

clivvers wrote:
You've done a good job on your hybrid Joe. The flocking is very nice, kind of like velvet Very Happy

Black Velvet Hair... sounds like an old song Clive... Laughing

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 9:19 pm

clivvers wrote:

BTW, he won't stay as a hybrid forever, I'll source a nice AT body for him one day and fit him out with a pair of Hobbycraft KFGs... Very Happy

Last edited by TheOneManKid on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Very nice looking sweater and pants! He's looking fantastic! cheers

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 10:34 pm

very smart Ralph!, a great secret agent look! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 pm

he looks great
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Your Little black beard Joe looks smart looking, he looks ready for ACTION. Clivvers is right his flocking dose look kind of like velvet.

Hope we see more photos of him in the future Wink.

Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 10:56 am

TheOneManKid wrote:
clivvers wrote:
Black Velvet Hair... sounds like an old song Clive... Laughing
my granny was always singing a song about a girl tying up her hair ( with a black velvet band ) good memories Smile

PostSubject: Re: Different size Joe heads   Different size Joe heads - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Different size Joe heads
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2