ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid

Go down 
+14
Sparkys6887
inntruderr61
TALLY HO
Rossini
blueboxier
ak615
gibri
Captian action
somekindajoe
Tof
Hawkeye
TheOneManKid
Reddragon
BAMComix
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Empty
PostSubject: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Name?
Ralph Jones

Online name?
My online name for VAM collecting is 'TheOneManKid' this is because I was the only kid on my street with one Action Man. I'm not bitter about that of course! No

However, it may be a motivator for wanting to collect now... cheers

Location?
I currently live in both South London and Northants. South London is where I work and where I grew up. I keep some of my collection in each place. London HQ is for Tom's Crew. Tom K is the name of my original Action Man now and the Crew is a small team I put together for him, so he is not so lonely any more... aaahhh! The rest of my collection stays at home in Northants and is known as John’s Crew. John is another blonde VAM that I bought in a local boot sale in Northants, who acted as a stand-in for Tom K while he was being restored. Both teams are a mix and match of GI Joe and Action Man. It ended up that way as I got into trading with a couple of guys from the States. That kept me busy for more than half of 2014, I have slowed things down considerably since then. I'm trying my best to take a more considered approach for this year... jocolor

First Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figure?
Ha! That is easy to answer, that is Tom K! He is called Tom K as an acronym of my AMMO moniker 'TheOneManKid' as I didn't have a name for him back in the day. His full name is Thomas K Jones, but Tom K sounds better than Tom Jones I think... lol!

What was your favourite figure as a kid, and do you still own him?
Tom K and Yes! Although he has a minty vintage AT body and a Flocktastic makeover now, instead of a ratty flock and a broken VAM body. I have a few of his original uniforms as well, but only the blue beret and sten gun from the outfit he came with.

Favourite figure now?
That is really difficult, to date I have collected 8 fuzz heads and 1 paint head and I love them all for different reasons. They are all my favourites. Tom K, however, is my original Action Man and I often look at him and smile; as the 10 year old me wouldn't believe how good he looks now and how he is known all over on AMMO and Facebook and making lots of new friends and fans!

Most desired item?
When I rediscovered Action Man about 18 months ago there was an advert that I come across online for an Action Man day. On the advert was a close up photo of two Green Berets. I don't recall that uniform set from my childhood, but I would have to say that the Green Beret is what got me interested again. I have managed to collect two sets of the jacket and trousers so far, one VAM and one Joe, but I only have one vintage beret and ascot, along with mostly repro boots and accessories to go with them. So, one project for 2015 is to complete those two sets and maybe get another paint head to recreate the photo I described for myself.

What will you do with your collection as you get older?
Recently I had thought about selling parts of my collections of vinyl records, books and other memorabilia thinking that now I'm over 50 I should move on from owning 70s punk singles etc, but it slowly dawned on me that all these items form part of our life story, just as the Action Men do, so I'm not sure I’ll ever get rid of them! Tom K will be 45 this year and I'll be 54 and we're both planning to be around for another 50 years at least! Razz

What does your wife/girlfriend/partner think of your collection/hobby?
My wife thinks I'm a nut! She says she hates them, but she seems happy to work on photos of my collection and for me to take one or two on trips away, so I think she secretly finds it quite interesting.

Do you set yourself a budget?
Last year I didn't have a budget set, but I am planning to this year.

Worst Vam/Joe/MAM or 1/6 figure?
I can only speak from personal experience and I’d have to say that the worst figure that has past through my hands is the WalMart Air Adventurer that I bought for myself last Christmas. That head sculpt, hair and skin colour combination! What a disappointment?! When I opened the box I just thought ‘Oh, My God! That’s just weird! Yellow hair! Grey/brown skin! Yellow painted eyebrows! Brown eyes staring up at me out of the dark box! The Air Adventurer had become and an Asian guy with a dodgy dyed blonde hairdo and beard laying in a coffin!'

I think that head stayed on that body for a about 3 days, before I had to remove it! Most of the flock came off in the process and I traded it away at the first opportunity. The hands are good though and I've kept the arms to use when my paint head Seven needs to do some proper gripping.

Views on 40th reproductions?
They can get really bad as described above or really good. I have various 40th AM/Joe uniforms and spare parts that are done really nicely. I am not really that elitist about vintage vs reproduction. Truth is a lot of repro stuff is far superior quality compared to a lot of late vintage stuff, so I take the approach that if it is nicely made and looks good then I like it. I do like a nice label though and don’t really understand why the 40th AM stuff missed a label. It would have been easy to design a simple label that said something like ‘Action Man 40th Anniversary’ if there was a copyright issue over the original label that was unresolvable. I think it was a bit lazy.

Worst item of the Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 range?
Bullet Man? No idea! I am a 60s kid, so most of my Action Man impression is from that period. I tend not to focus on stuff from the early 70s onwards, unless it's something cool from Cotswold, 21st Century, DiD and so on... Cool

Best thing about collecting Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figures?
Having the little guys around seems to bring some kind of comfort. Figuring out how to kit them out and sharing the results is a great sharing experience on social networks like AMMO and Facebook. I like to trade as well, but I have to rein that in this year, that can be very addictive and as a result there is a tendency for it to get out of control.

Do you think your collection will be collectible in the future?
I have no idea, possibly! My modest collection exists to give my original Action Man some buddies to hang out with and go on adventures. I'm not really tuned into the idea of being a collector, although I do have and plan to put some vintage sets together for my one and only paint head Seven. I might enter the world of Geyperman this year also.

If you did not collect Vam/Joe/Mam what would you collect?
I have a plan to start collecting vinyl records again, but I haven’t got to the point yet where I can setup a decent Hi Fi to system to play them on.

What AM/Joe outfit or set would you like to have seen released?
I would like see some contemporary uniforms/outfits released that are specifically tailored for AM/Joe. I use some of the 21st Century Ultimate Soldier uniforms on Tom’s Crew which fit okay, but it’d be great to have some sets made in modern cut and camouflage to compliment the vintage sets.

Do you have a/What is your favourite section of AMMO?
Actually I think my favourite section is Chatbox, but I love to browse around all over!

Why do you like AMMO?
AMMO is the first place that I got to know Action Man collectors. I was surprised how welcoming you have all been considering my very small collection and I have spent many an hour chatting away on Chatbox; lots of laughs have been had there and I have also learnt a tremendous amount about the hobby.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Great interview Ralph Very Happy , i like the chatbox too ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reddragon
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Well done Ralph, very nice interview Very Happy

TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Reddragon wrote:
Well done Ralph, very nice interview Very Happy

Thanks Richard! It actually looks very long to read when it is posted, apologies in advance to all for that... Embarassed

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Great interview Ralph Very Happy , i like the chatbox too ! Very Happy

Yeah, Chatbox is a great way to share and talk VAM... cheers

Back to top Go down
Hawkeye
Australian Jungle Fighter
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:09 pm

Good interview Ralph and cool forum name explained, I must agree with you about the Green Beret bringing you back to collecting, I'd also not seen one when I was a Kid but as soon as I found out about them I was hooked again Twisted Evil

Ian

Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Tof

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:27 pm

thanks Raphl and happy to meet across this interview Very Happy

http://forumdugroupactionjoe.xooit.fr/index.php
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 pm

Fantastic interview Ralph!

I've always found your 'take' on VAM collecting very unique and you certainly produce a lot of quality content for the forum.

..and of course being a Sarf London boy who likes GB's (where have I heard that before? lol! ) doesn't hurt either!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 12:03 am

Great interview ,I like the explanation behind Tom K's name

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenFebruary 2015 interview TheOneManKid G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 12:03 am

brilliant interview
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:24 am

Great interview. Thanks for sharing with us.

I was also curious about your screen name, makes perfect sense.

You have your own individual approach to the hobby. It was interesting reading. I especially like your photography and the "studio" feel of your portraits -- they really look great.

oh yeah, and the Walmart figures...drunken  At the time I had been patrolling the local Walmart waiting for them to arrive,  never found them...never found them...then one day boxes of them appeared and they were already on the sale shelf well marked down.

Thanks again,

Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 8:19 am

....Just a quick pic repost in reply to all this Walmart Joe bashing!!

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Demo1

As this pic was originally posted on the UAMHQ about 6 yeas ago it seems the passage of time has done little to improve Walmart Joe's rep! lol!

(Personally I love 'em so any unwanted specimens gratefully received at SKJ HQ!)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 8:23 am

I'm with you S.K.J. what 's not to love ?

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenFebruary 2015 interview TheOneManKid G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 8:49 am

Very interesting read Ralph thanks for taking the time out to do it.

Don`t be dissing the wallies  Very Happy

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid TOUGHTEAM

Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 am

great interview tomk , i am sure it struck a chord with many of us here at ammo drunken monkey

Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Great interview Ralph!!

Armoured Car Commander
TALLY HO

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:42 pm

fantastic interview
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 5:05 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
....Just a quick pic repost in reply to all this Walmart Joe bashing!!

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Demo1

As this pic was originally posted on the UAMHQ about 6 yeas ago it seems the passage of time has done little to improve Walmart Joe's rep! lol!

(Personally I love 'em so any unwanted specimens gratefully received at SKJ HQ!)

OMG there he is!!!

This is how ended once I'd swapped the head... lol!

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Airadv10

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 5:08 pm

And many thanks to everyone's kind words of support for my 'unique' approach to the hobby! cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 5:09 pm

How did I miss this thread... scratch

Anyhow fantastic interview and pics Ralph... cheers cheers cheers

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Oh! And for all those that haven't seen my pride and joy - Seven as a Green Beret - here he is again... Wink

He's simply awesome, is he not?

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Seven_13

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:49 pm

a fine example indeed Ralph! cheers
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 am

he reminds me of steven segal Cool

Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 am

Seven looks fab as a GB Ralph.

Super interview mate. You describing the Wal Mart Joe had me larfing out loud which woke the dog up Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 12:23 pm

did you get a dog of your own mark or are you still dog sitting rendeer

PostSubject: Re: February 2015 interview TheOneManKid   February 2015 interview TheOneManKid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

February 2015 interview TheOneManKid
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next