Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Ulsterman
Painted Head

PostSubject: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:13 pm

The AVALANCHE 'O' STEEL

Wednesday, 16th April, 1746, two opposing armies faced each other across a bleak, barren moor,....Culloden.

The highland clans, (which numbered 5,000 men),who had made their way from across Scotland, were determined to finally defeat the Hanovarian forces of King George II (numbering 9,000 men) on Culloden moor.

After a long stand-off, The clansmen on the right flank, who had the slight advantage of higher ground, started to slowly make their way across the 500 yard spance of ground towards Cumberland's forces, gathering momentum as they went.
Clansmen on the left flank however, moved much slower, due to the boggier ground they had to cover,...resulting in the left flank gradually surging over to meet up with the right flank.
The ever quickening trot of the Highlanders, snowballed, and gained in size as it made it's way directly towards the men of (Barrel's) 4th of foot, The King’s Own Royal Regiment.

Barrel's men took the full force of the "avalanche of steel" as it hurtled at great speed towards them,.....clansmen of the Frasers, the Appin Stewarts, the Locheil’s Camerons and the three regiments of Athollmen.

Such was the force of this surge of men and steel, they smashed right through Barrel's ranks, and although suffering many dead and wounded, they continued to fight until surrounded on all sides by Munro's and Sempill's men, along with Barrel's 4th of foot, and literally cut down.

Although THE duke of cumberlands men were superior in number, i can just imagine how Barrel's men must have felt when they awaited the arrival of that wave of screaming, howling highlanders,...it must have been terrifying.
STAND FAST MEN!!!..STAND FAST!!!

I have depicted two Grenadiers of (Barrel's) 4th of foot, on the extreme left flank, as they await the "avalanche 'o' steel".

The Grenadier's uniforms were scratchbuilt, except the leggings and shoes, and almost all the highlanders were too.

Last edited by The Ulsterman on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 pm

fantastic mate!, the attention to detail and photography angles are outstanding my friend bounce

BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Some pics I seen and they are very well done! (First nine pics) cheers cheers cheers
Others were broken links I could not see... scratch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawkeye
Green Beret

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:56 pm

More fantastic stuff very well done cheers cheers cheers

Ian

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:10 pm

Cant see all the pics but what i see looks Great the highland charge ,Wha's Like us ?

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Ulsterman
Painted Head

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.

I have edited those missing links and just removed them.

Neil.

gibri
GERMAN STORMTROOPER

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:17 am

Absolutely brilliant work, Neil, most impressive!!!

The most intricate levels of detail, weathering and display must represent many hours of work, and an important and very interesting historical battle.

Thanks for posting it,
Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueboxier
Military Police

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:24 pm

awesome dio neil simply awesome , thinking about the battle i dont see those shields being much defence against musket balls do you . affraid

paintedhead123
Painted Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:46 pm

Very nice job Neil bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somekindajoe
Talking Commander

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Fantastic work Ulsterman!! The whole thing looks amazing!!

These pics inspired me to read up about the battle and I can see what you mean about Barrell's 4th of Foot. They suffered 17 killed and 108 wounded when most of the other regiments involved had single figure casualty rates.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cappy
SCRAMBLE PILOT

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:53 pm

That's the dogs dangly bits. Shocked

clivvers
BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:53 pm

AMAZING!!!!!  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers

Skillful uniform making for sure, i love the way you've posed the figures!!!! I can imagine the long hours you put into the research for this fab diorama. Top quality photos.

Well done that man! Cool Cool Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
The Ulsterman
Painted Head

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Well thank you thank you fellas, it's always nice to share my work with like minded people.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)   

Back to top Go down

Highland charge at Culloden! 1746 (pic heavy)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1