ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM

Go down 
+4
gibri
clivvers
ak615
Danthecoat
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Empty
PostSubject: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello

I needed to re-card an item today so i thought i would take some pics as there is very little information and practice making perfect can be a VERY expensive way to learn so with this little guide i hope this will help you to see that its much easier than you think to have that card looking like it just came home in a time machine scratch ........Well almost Wink

The first thing you need to do is obviously source a card in good condition and preferably complete, but don't worry if your card isn't complete as depending on your skills you can reproduce certain parts or if you have the printer capacity (A3 is a real help) you can reprint almost all of a card. Just take your time in matching the original colours. Ask on the forum for scans or even print shop skills even for a small fee im sure myself and others would gladly print you parts that you may be missing Smile There is a wealth of boxed and card artwork available here or on the net or on various forums UAMHQ being a very good site for artwork.

Now the next important thing and not to be overlooked is sourcing MINT or as near MINT as you can find items for re-carding as there is nothing worse than seeing a card with a scruffy uniform inside. Rather than enhancing it WILL make your uniform look worse Sad

Depending on the condition of your card you will need certain tools.

Tools needed are as follows

Scissors
Very Sharp craft Knife
Sellotape (Thin and Thick, preferably on a dispenser)
PVA Glue
Ruler or straight edge for tidy tight folds
Pencil (Sharp)
Double sided tape
Cellophane (Florist)
Spare Card Preferably excellent conditioned old card but NOT essensial
Needle (Various sizes)
Double Thickness Thread (NOT COTTON)
Cotton

PATIENCE!!!!!!!! (Its not a race)

So all that in mind we are now all set to start our project Smile

Last edited by Danthecoat on Sat May 16, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:30 pm

First have a nice clean space away from distractions, animals,kids and make sure its nice and spacious as you will be surprised how big some of these cards are when dismantled.

Make sure everything you need is there to complete the project.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4710

Looks scary eh  affraid  ???? But don't be worried just take it easy and one slow step at a time Smile

Open your card fully. If there is tape holding the card together then cut along a join with a craft knife. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE TAPE.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4711

Big isnt it  Shocked

Carefully take out any cardboard supports your card may have. One at a time and keep an eye on where and what way round these were. Maybe take pictures to keep a record.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4712

Next its always a good idea to strengthen the old card as this is normally always sagging weak damp etc etc. If its really bad you will have to make new ones so use the old ones as a template for size etc...

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4713

I like to use old card but new is fine as i have illustrated here.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4714

Be sure to keep an eye on where the cuts are as grooves and cut outs are REALLY important when the card is put back together. Strengthen the old card with a cardboard inserted inside as an S shape as pictured this will allow the card to be flexible when putting the card back together but still give it support when taped back up Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4715

Last edited by Danthecoat on Sat May 16, 2015 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Next take the backing card and remove any old thread that may be still present and get as flat as you can maybe even iron it under a tea towel??

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4716

Now source a picture for reference of the card when it is complete. Source a few if you can and better still use books also this or other forums but if a picture of an original unopened card isn't available then try to source as many re-cards as possible. and look carefully at where things go. Then lay your bits identically before any sewing. This will give you an idea of which holes are for which item.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4717

Try to use the original holes. A good tip if they are a bit baggy is to tape the back of the card with sellotape maybe a couple of times before you pass the thread through it. This tip can also work on splits but if they are too bad then taping some thin card to the back of the card works great Smile

Now work with one item at a time and start from the back of the card as pictured and TAPE the first stitch at the knot.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4718

Now i have heard many stories about how the original cards were often sewn using one continuous stitch for the entire contents. This is in my opinion just a how big is yours contest so IGNORE IT !! Its not through skill it was a time saving exercise when these items were manufactured as time was money and is the most popular cause of items slipping over time. Take your time sew ONE item or two if you feel lucky and tape EVERY STITCH AS YOU GO ALONG.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4719

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4720

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4721

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4810

MAKE SURE EACH ITEM IS IN PERFECT POSITION BEFORE YOU PULL EACH STITCH NICE AND TIGHT ONLY THEN TAPE IT DOWN ON THE REVERSE OF THE BACKING CARD.

Last edited by Danthecoat on Sat May 16, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Now if you have a figure or a mannequin in a suit (As with this card) that is connected to the backing card then you MUST reinforce the original big holes with sellotape or card at the back as these holes are for wire ties to pass through and be twist tightened, therefore when you tighten them if they have no support then they will tear the original now weakened card ;(  

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4811

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4812

Use thin wires of the same colour as the item or fuse wire is a good wire to use. You can source different coloured plastic coated wires from eBay, hobby shops or like me use my wife's florists wire Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4813

twist the wire at the back and again tape it down.

BE SURE NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN THIS WILL EITHER RIP THE CARD OR TWIST IT OUT OF SHAPE !!!

This may seem petty but once all the items have been successfully sewn back onto the card take your time to check each stitch is together and if not then move them together with a needle as this will make all the difference to the finished card. Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4814

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4815

Last edited by Danthecoat on Sat May 16, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Now replace all your supports and fold the card back together reversing the original process. Check your pictures if you get stuck. Tape down all joins using ONLY the old tape as a guide. Again take your time to cut the tape to the same size as was used originally. Obviously use the thinner tape and thicker tape where required. Use your pva glue sparingly on any rips and reattach them to the card. resinsert your backing card gently using any original holes for certain tabs etc. and secure if need be again on the original tape joins Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4816

Now clear EVERYTHING away except a pair of scissors. and stand your item up to check if everything is secure Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4817

HOW PROUD DO YOU FEEL NOW ???? AND SO YOU SHOULD YOU CLEVER LITTLE MONKEY cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers lol! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by Danthecoat on Sat May 16, 2015 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:21 pm

LAST BUT NOT LEAST CELLOPHANE YOUR CARD.

This is for protection and so it looks original and authentic Smile

This is a two man or one man one woman job.

Roll out the cellophane and cut to size. (Like wrapping a Christmas present). Gently lay your item face down a bring the cellophane up and over your card. Hold this tight while you or preferably another brings up the other side and holds this tight. Make sure one side overlaps the other and tape down ONLY to the other half of cellophane.

BE SURE TO KEEP THE TENSION AT ALL TIMES BUT NOT TOO MUCH THAT YOU DISTORT THE CARDS SHAPE.

This only serves to keep the front wrinkle free.

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4818

Cut any excess from the end and fold again like a present, hold tight and again tape down Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4819

Do this at both ends Smile

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4820

All thats left is to call the family in Bore them half to death with your fearless project that has produced this now priceless item. Then take pictures of your now most prized possesion. Post it to here and ALL other forums ( Well maybe not ALL  Razz )

Then Source your next exciting project  cheers  cheers  cheers

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Img_4821
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Top work sir Hope you scanned that artwork for me before the cellophane went on Very Happy

Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:07 pm

affraid

Oh yes of course Rolling Eyes Shocked Embarassed pale silent
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Pro restoration work, Dan!!!!  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool

This should be in the A.M.M.O book. That's a great idea to take photos on your mobile-phone as you disassemble anything (Reverse engineering).

Before camera-phones i used to do drawings and write down notes as i took anything apart that needed fixing.

Well done, it now looks the biz!!!! Very Happy

gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Top work sir!!!

Surely there's a place for your skills in MI6.

Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 6:52 pm

lol!  lol!  lol! Sorry but i now just want to rip it outta the box affraid affraid affraid
perhaps i should do a how to de-card thread lol! lol! lol!

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenHOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Tof
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Tof

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 10:51 pm

i like this work, repair, rebuild cards.My next one will be "chasse au gorille" from group action joe, like this one.HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Capture%20au%20gorille1_zpszfuirvzo

i'm after the different parts in my stuff

http://forumdugroupactionjoe.xooit.fr/index.php
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 10:54 pm

Very nice work Tof well done my friend Very Happy

PostSubject: Boxed Original   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 6:34 am

Dan,great work and really informative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:13 am

great work looks fantastic
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 11:49 am

ta for this danas I have a very tatty training tower box to work on , and I now know how to do it

Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Tof

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Wolf_Soldier64 wrote:
Very nice work Tof well done my friend Very Happy

i will rebuild this set, but it's not finish today, don't give me congrates Very Happy

http://forumdugroupactionjoe.xooit.fr/index.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM   HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOW TO RE-CARD A VINTAGE ACTION MAN ITEM
Page 1 of 1