ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Action Man Mission 50 book

Go down 
+6
Jet-
barney_leadhead
Captian action
clivvers
Beatlefan
Chip
10 posters

Would this book end up in your Action Man Library?
Yes - Let's make it happen and £50 is OK
Action Man Mission 50 book Vote_lcap95%Action Man Mission 50 book Vote_rcap
 95% [ 18 ]
Yes, but would like a cheaper less ambitious version
Action Man Mission 50 book Vote_lcap0%Action Man Mission 50 book Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Undecided one way or another
Action Man Mission 50 book Vote_lcap5%Action Man Mission 50 book Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
No - as there are already books available
 0% [ 0 ]
Non Starter - no thanks!
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Action Man Mission 50 book Empty
PostSubject: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 8:56 am

Hi All

As some of you know, I have been working on the creation of a definitive go-to Action Man book.

A serious book to relegate the others to the bookcase, with every accessory photographed, every anomaly the other books left out, with rarity and value ratings that are current, maybe even index linked to a website.

After trying to buy the Kevin King book for reference and struggling to pay less than £50 for second hand upwards...seriously? (I have sourced new for £40 now but it was a struggle) I know what is important - the quality fundamentally, and then costs settle where they have to be.

The Alan Hall books have shockingly poor photography, The Dossier leaves out key information especially the EE period peters out, and Kevin Kings' is out of date in terms of values etc. Its close, but no cigar. Not to disrespect these books as they all form part of our collective knowledge , and we are all partly shaped by them. But I want to open up from being one expert producing a book and risking the odd error that surely has to happen, to entrusting it to enthusiastic design and peerless photography, with any number of experts all contributing knowledge and experience. This will be the making of this book.

I know exactly how it should look. It's been in my head and I can't get it out. Period design and typography sympathetic to the subject matter, colour coded and easily referenced. Equipment manuals, leaflets, star cards, everything. With a slip case.

The Action Men and accessories need to be ACTUAL size so that makes the pages 14 1/2" tall x 10.5" or so. Images are taken with a 40MB camera in a purpose built studio.

2000 total production for the book and I suspect £50 be the purchase price per copy - numbered. My wish is for a foreword by Bob Brechin, and Dave Barnacle has shown interest in doing his first bespoke Action Man illustration in decades, especially for the book. I need to see if Hasbro will allow the use of the coveted logo, or whether it becomes purely photographic, and credited everywhere... A meeting will decide.

What makes this book so different?

The quality will be unsurpassed. I have the skill-set to pull it off, but will need the collections of you good folks to grace its pages. I am in Essex and it may be that we can set aside separate days to chronicle your pieces in super high res from here on in.

The credits page will be a awesome sight on its own I should imagine. I don't think any project thus far on Action Man has actively asked for contributions, assessment and proof reading before production - I am serious about getting this as close to 100% as possible.

I will need to crowd fund it when nearing completion. Even if costs print costs are prohibitive, or fall short, A PDF / DVD his res version can easily take it's place. But to me, sitting in a leather Chesterfield with a cup of tea thumbing high quality art paper and seeing Action Man in his full colour glory is where it's at. The artworking and photography for this book would cost upwards of £20k, but I can put that work in at no cost - it's just the production of the physical.

How the inside might look:

Here is an early draft of the cover: The format from square to rectangle has happened since.

Action Man Mission 50 book Visual3_zps139f5834

Here she is in 1st draft stage. Pic of a scale test page before proof reading:

Action Man Mission 50 book IMG_7653_zpsbrrpwjio

It is currently measuring 26cm wide x 36cm Tall, so is actual size and his equipment can be laid over page as a reference.

Hi Res PDF of the page

Here is a High Res PDF - visit link - zoom in and enjoy :-) The page is enormous and you can lay down on his picture and he is exactly 100% scale. Thanks to Ian for help with the variations.

If you look at inside the cap on the PDF - the image is so clear you could more than likely use it to help spot 40th from vintage - it's that clear. Same true of Boots too. You can count the white stitches on a white belt. This is how I imagined it - I am aiming to achieve this level of quality on each and every uniform, so it becomes the best guide thus far. It becomes a rod for it's own back, when photos reveal what's vintage and what's 40th, repro hands etc. I don't think other books have had this scrutiny to worry about.

Click here http://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/mission50/PageTest.pdf

Hope you will all agree with me, this will be an impressive addition to our hobby. It will regenerate our drive, showcase our collections and place Action Man higher up the credibility scale as the World's best boys toy ever.

I welcome your comments, encouragement, reservations, constructive criticisms and support through this gargantuan task.

I may even send a copy to James May.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:53 pm

It sounds an exciting project , and perhaps the ultimate A.M book . I am still a little unclear of what your asking ? I would not be so interested in a digital edition , but as a physical book , I would almost definitely buy it , £50 sounds about the money , I doubt people would pay anymore than that .

Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Wow! Huge project Rob. I love the look of the design and outlay, you have given it plenty of thought.

The pictures so far are fantastic mate. £50 for a slipcase numbered edition is a pretty good price that most collectors would happily pay in my opinion.

Well done for taking on such a project, I would definitely buy it.

Action Man Mission 50 book Volgan10
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 5:37 pm

If no one can afford to own every Action Man item, then why not own it all in book form, this one!

This is a great idea, Rob! The first draft page looks stunning!  That's also an ideal uniform to wet everyone's appetite Cool Cool Cool

I do hope there's plans to mention modern Action Man near the back of the book, with possibly a couple of small pics of the first uk released MAM, nothing big, just a page or something. I class modern Action Man as son of the original Action Man and part of Action Man's rich history Smile

clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 5:48 pm

Just voted: Yes - Let's make it happen and £50 is OK

How can we not let it happen! Smile

Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Fantastic ,what a tribute to 50 years of action man !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenAction Man Mission 50 book G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
barney_leadhead
Painted Head
barney_leadhead

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 7:47 am

Having paid up to £30 for some unlimited Warhammer books printed in China over the last year or so £50 for what looks to be a superb reference piece such as this, put together with passion and not purely for profit seems to be great value.

I have voted yes Very Happy

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

I guess you already new my vote , and you better make sure I get an early number , as I was the first to answer your post here Very Happy I hope it works out . And definitely put me down for one .

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Cheers Chip! Its selling the 1500-2000 numbers where I bite my nails ;-)
Back to top Go down
Jet-
Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Can't wait, this books going to be amazing and nice to have in anyone's collection.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: CALL FOR COLLABORATERS / FINE TUNING RUNNING ORDER OF BOOK   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 pm

This is the proposed structure, which is fluid at the moment. Please have a look through and comment on any that you think may be in wrong section, or indeed missing. Variations can be inset pics or described on pages and may not constitute a whole new head-to-toe shot - I have to be pragmatic with space.

THIS LIST IS MY THINK TANK AND WILL BE INCOMPLETE - Rather than me have a scribbled piece of paper no-one sees - I thought sharing this will let everyone know my thoughts, and pick up on constructive issues I haven't foreseen.

WHEN FINALLY THE LIST ID DEFINITIVE:

I will ready the photographic studio in Tiptree, Essex and would ask if anyone can get to Essex at a weekend, or possibly another time, with their collection or pieces, if confident they are all vintage and complete, then please PM me the uniforms or Carded items you can bring along for photography and included in this book. Best this way for insurance purposes and post risk. Besides be great to meet on such an important mission.

It may be that individuals may want to offer to write sections - maybe about the figure chronology and types for instance? Again I will credit everybody that assists?

AS ITEMS ARE TICKED OFF I WILL UPDATE THIS LIST!

Discuss! - any missing?! Observations?

Some of the countries are tenuous - Desert fighter - Aussie right?!

* uniform made from one or more carded accessories added to basic uniform
SOTC = Soldiers of the Century/World.
INT ="Internationals" - Reduced outfit versions, lighter material, toward end of production.
(ST) = Special Team.

Basic Figures
PH Painted Head
SH Soft Painted Head
HH Hard Hands
GH Gripping Hands
EE Eagle Eyes
DB Dynamic Body

PH/HH
SH/HH
FH/HH
FH/HH/BEARDED
FH/GH
FH/GH/BEARDED
FH/GH/EE
FH/GH/EE/BEARDED
FH/GH/EE/DB
FH/GH/EE/DB/BEARDED
Talking Commander PH/HH
Talking Commander FH/HH
Talking Commander FH/GH
Talking Commander FH/GH/EE
Talking Commander FH/GH/EE/DB

US MILITARY
Action Soldier
Beachhead Assault *
Combat Engineer*
Combat Paratrooper*
Combat Soldier* accompanied by the sets combos, capes, tents etc
Combat Surveyor*
American Green Beret SOTC
(Talking) Commander
Heavy Weapons*
Military Policeman (1st issue)
Mine Detection
Secret Mission to Dragon Island
US Machine Gunner
USMC (US Marine) (INT)
US Paratrooper
Army Medic*
Medic (later)

US NAVY
Action Sailor
Navy Attack*
Navy Dress Parade* Breeches Buoy
Landing Signals Officer
Frogman

US AIR FORCE
Action Pilot
Air Police - on orange overalls / show later jacket - blue*
Scramble Pilot*
Action Pilot with survival

US WILD WEST
Horse
7th Cavalry
Scout (Cowboy)
Indian Brave
Indian Chief

BRITISH MILITARY
British Infantryman SOTC
British Infantryman SOTW also show late thin material
British Infantryman (Modern)
Soldier
(Basic) Soldier
British Army Officer
British Infantry Major - 17th/21st Lancers
Armoured Car Commander*
Commando
Field Training Exercise
Despatch Rider
Escape Officer (Colditz)
Field Commander
SAS Outfit
SAS Parachute Attack
SAS Secret Mission
Ground Assault (ST)
Parachute Regiment (included as SOTC 1972)
Parachute Regiment (INT)
Marines Combat Uniform
Royal Marines Exploration Team
Royal Military Police
Tank Commander
Tank Commander (INT)
Missile Assault (ST)
Royal Engineers
Royal Marines Combat Uniform
Red Devil (Skydiver)
Patroller
Long Range Desert Group
Tom Stone

BRITISH AIRFORCE
Battle of Britain Pilot
Helicopter Pilot
Assault Copter Pilot
Royal Air Force
Pursuit Craft Pilot

BRITISH NAVY
Sailor
RNLI Sea Rescue

AUSTRALIAN ARMY
Desert Fighter
Australian Jungle Fighter (SOTC)
Australian Jungle Fighter SOTW

FRENCH RESISTANCE / MILITARY
French Resistance Fighter SOTC
Sabotage *
French Foreign Legion SOTW

RUSSIAN ARMY
Russian Infantryman SOTC
Russian Infantryman (INT)

GERMAN MILITARY
German Paratrooper (INT)
German Stormtrooper SOTC
German Stormtrooper SOTW
German Stormtrooper (Rare last version)
German Staff Officer
Afrika Korps Lance Corporal
Afrika Korps (INT)
Camp Kommandant (Colditz)
Luftwaffe Pilot
Panzer Captain

ADVENTURE/MOUNTAINEERING
Ski Patrol*
Mountain and Arctic
Royal Marines Mountain and Arctic
Adventurer
Mountain Rescue
Mountaineer (early)
Mountaineer (late)
Arctic Assault (ST)
High Altitude (Polar Explorer)*
Jungle Explorer (early)
Jungle Explorer (late)
Polar Explorer (early)
Polar Explorer (late)
Treasure Hunter
Survival (*)

UNDERWATER & ADVENTURE
Deep Sea Diver (early)
Deep Sea Diver (late)
Frogman (black early)
Frogman (orange)
Skin Diver
Underwater Assault (ST)
Underwater Explorer
Underwater Film Unit
SAS Underwater Attack

SPACE ADVENTURE
Astronaut (show variations)
Space Explorer

FANTASY ADVENTURE
Bullet Man
Atomic Man
Intruder
Captain Zargon
ROM
Gargon (Electronic monster)
Space Ranger Captain
Space Ranger Commando
Space Ranger Talking Commander (1982)
Zargonite Soldier

CEREMONIAL
Horse
Life Guards
Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards)
17th/21st Lancers Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Grenadier Guard (early)
Grenadier Guard (late)
Royal Hussar
Royal Marines (Ceremonial)
Royal Canadian Mountie (Star scheme)

ACTION CIVILIANS
UN Peace Keeping
Crash Crew (Silver)
Crash Crew (Later)
Fireman
Go Kart (Driver)
High Rescue
Highway Hazard
Police Motorcycle Rider
Racing Car (Driver)
Jet Pilot (INT)
Underground Rescue

SPORTSMEN
Cricketer
Sportsman (footballer)
Footballer 1969
Action/Sharpshooter Footballer
Footballer Arsenal
Footballer Aston Villa
Footballer 'cards' (various kits & colours)
Footballer Celtic
Footballer Chelsea
Footballer Everton
Footballer Glasgow Rangers
Footballer Leeds Utd
Footballer Liverpool
Footballer Manchester Utd
Footballer Newcastle
Footballer Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs)
Footballer West Ham Utd
Footballer World Cup
Other Combinations (Wolves etc)?
Judo
Olympic Champion Orange/Blue
Olympic Champion Blue Shellsuit

VEHICLES
Space Capsule
Jeep
Land Rover
Personnel Carrier
Pursuit Craft
Armoured Car
Scout Car
Scorpian Tank
Helicopter
Capture Copter
Turbo Copter
Trailer
Mobile Ops HQ
German Motorcycle Combination
Motorcycle Combination
Powerhog
DUKW
Multi-Terrain Vehicle
Fire Tender
SkyHawk
Assault craft
105mm Light Gun

BUILDINGS / TRAINING / ACCOMMODATION
Vacuum formed beachhead
Vacuum formed jungle foxhole
Vacuum formed pillbox
Vacuum formed lunar landscape
Command Centre
Sentry Box
Directional signs - card
Training Tower
Searchlight
Machine gun
Special Ops Tent
Base Camp Bunk Bed Rifle Rack

WEAPONS
Will list

QUARTERMASTERS - other
Will list

TRADE CATALOGUES
Please advise

EQUIPMENT MANUALS
Have All
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Rob , I am sending you a P.M .

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Chip wrote:
Rob , I am sending you a P.M .

Not received yet?
Back to top Go down
Hawkeye
Australian Jungle Fighter
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 pm

This sounds great and really looks like it will be well worth a £50 price tag look forward to seeing the end result a great way to celebrate VAM 50 Years king I'm in cheers cheers cheers

SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Police Motorcycle ?

Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Think these are missing from your list , Early Personnel carrier with mine sweeper attachment . Few types of Jeeps , what about the one with twin M/guns mounted on it , sure there are a couple of others if not more . SAS Heli , Capture Copter , Air Cav Heli . SAS assault craft , Two types of Scorpion , one had black camo to the turret, Snow Cat , German Armour Car ,Jet plane .

PostSubject: The List   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Keep your suggestions coming...

Working, reworking, correcting the list...

This will give me the running order, who has what and what I need to do...

Action Man Mission 50 book IMG_7759_zpsibgaerkf
Back to top Go down
PalitoyLee
New Recruit
PalitoyLee

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi Rob

This looks absolutely fantastic and just the sample page is jaw dropping. Love the idea of the actual size pics as well.

I hope all the big collectors are on board with help with their collections for photography to help make this book a reality in the not too distant future.

Will there be a section with pics of all the different ID tags and something i'd personally love to see is pics of all the different
variations of the 'palitoy action man' labels from inside the jumpers/outfits to see how they changed over the years.

Thanks, Lee
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Looks very nice and well presented! And £50 is okay because SKJ will be buying it and I'll just take a peak when I need too... so voted accordingly... Razz

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Action Man Mission 50 book   Action Man Mission 50 book Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Action Man Mission 50 book
Page 1 of 1