ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An 'oops moment' turned out good!

Go down 
+5
clivvers
gibri
somekindajoe
Hawkeye
TheOneManKid
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Empty
PostSubject: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 pm

I sent my Sea Adventurer off to Flock Concepts for a nice standard Sea Adventurer reflock and low and behold he came back looking like this... Shocked

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Finbar10

And he used to look like this...

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Finbar10

But, actually I am really pleased as the flock looks super! I just need to give his face a clean and some eyebrow touch up (Flock Concepts don't offer that service) and he'll be a real handsome fella!

Back to top Go down
Hawkeye
Australian Jungle Fighter
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Very nice job and will look good after a touch of paint Smile

French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 9:41 pm

A great addition to Tom K's crew!

That bald patch is weird. I have a GI Joe MOA with a practically identical one!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Looks great!!!

Glad Flock Concepts worked out well for you.

Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 9:50 pm

somekindajoe wrote:

A great addition to Tom K's crew!

That bald patch is weird. I have a GI Joe MOA with a practically identical one!

Thanks Steve! And I am working on a cool bash for him already, it's gonna take a few weeks to pull it all together though... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Hawkeye wrote:

Yeah, going to be a little challenge to do those eyebrows... any advice welcome from those that have done eyebrow touch ups before... Cool

Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 11:39 pm

TheOneManKid wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

Yeah, going to be a little challenge to do those eyebrows... any advice welcome from those that have done eyebrow touch ups before... Cool

Yes, keep a damp flannel handy to wipe off the acrylic paint if you are not happy with the first try, you can have unlimited tries until you are happy with the result. I used to practice eyebrows on white A4/5 paper, don't load the brush with too much paint, if you do you can use the edge of a clean yogurt pot to unload some before applying the paint to Joe's head. Also use a bright desk lamp, reading glasses for a closer view, very thin quality paintbrush and lock the Joe down by covering the body with some heavy cloth to stop it from moving whilst painting, a heavy bath towel or old heavy jeans are ideal for this. Also use your left hand cupped-up to where you hold the paintbrush, this helps a lot in steadying your painting hand. Hold your paintbrush halfway down the metal silver strip that holds the bristles together.. Try applying a very thin first coat, use slow gentle strokes (sounds a bit dodgy, sorry lol!) leave to dry for about 10 minutes then apply a thin second coat just inside the edges of the first coat.

Don't foget that some eyebrows on vam and Joes slightly differ in tone, some are lighter or darker in colour. You can mix a tiny touch of white into the paint, use a plastic lid for mixing if you want to get the tone you want, acrylic paint looks slightly darker in colour when it's fully dry, so try mix a paint tone slightly lighter at first.

I've done a few vam in the past, I have some that need slight touch in's coming up soon, after they get new hands.

DON'T USE TAM-YA PAINT, it has ethers that can react with vinyl. Game-Workshop acrylic paints are ideal, it's what i use all the time Wink

Best of luck Smile

inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 12:52 am

Looks great! Best of luck with the touchups please post pics... Very Happy

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Eyebrows next!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 pm

Okay, I have both heads here now, back from Flock Concepts. He has done an awesome job on the blonde reflocks, very pleased!  Very Happy

They have two different beard lines and the one on the left used to look like the photo down below... next is eyebrows... wish me luck!

There is a first time for everything... Wink

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Two_ai10
An 'oops moment' turned out good! Two_ai11

Before:
An 'oops moment' turned out good! Air_ad10

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 pm

looking great
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 3:57 am

They look great! Very Happy

I have a childhood Sea Adventurer (Red haired) with some beat up & discolored flocking
but I left him like that since he was part of my childhood...

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 8:13 am

Fantastic job Ralph, quality flocks on show there mate cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 am

I recently did a repaint job when I repaired a talking action man.

As Clivvers said, Acrylic paints are the way to go (avoid oil paints).

I painted the eye brows a dark brown with a thin brush and then lightly rubbed back the paint a little.
I like to give the eyebrows a very light wear rather than a completely new looking paint job, but thats a personal choice.

Here's my attempt at a repaint of the eyebrows, lips and scar.

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Talker-Repair_5
Back to top Go down
Teckno Viking
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Teckno Viking

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am

Now that is some flocking excellent work.
Look forward to seeing the finished face end results.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 am

Nice job on the eyebrows actiongary! Very Happy

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 2:10 am

Okay guys... be gentle... Razz

Page back and remember how bad this guy's eyebrows were, I had to cover the right eyebrow surface damage, which has added some nice texture, but he has ended up with a strong eyebrow... Wink

On the left eyebrow I had to follow the original paint outer line which on the lower edge was not perfect and I didn't want to exceed it and make it even thicker!

I have also tried to create a mottled effect across the eyebrow, by using different shades, with limited success, but something there at least. I didn't like the original colour, so went darker!

An 'oops moment' turned out good! New_ey10

An 'oops moment' turned out good! New_ey11

Last edited by TheOneManKid on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 2:30 am

This guy was a whole lot easier, just mixed a close colour and basically had to only do a touch up... Oh! Prior to his eyebrow work, he has also had a toothpaste scrub facial which I've discovered is a really easy way to exfoliate a grubby face... Very Happy

His eyebrows were not exactly the same shape on each side and I haven't tried to change that to keep it as original as possible!

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Aeolus10

An 'oops moment' turned out good! Aeolus11

Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 9:16 am

Both look good to me ralph , I think you did an excellent job !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenAn 'oops moment' turned out good! G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

yep looks good to me great job
Back to top Go down
Teckno Viking
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Teckno Viking

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 11:14 am

Great job indeed.

Not tempted to get the brows flocked LOL
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 am

Fantastic Ralph! nice work indeed bounce
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks guys for your kind words, to be honest it is pretty nerve wracking doing my own work like that and would much prefer that a pro does it, but no another option at the moment!

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Top work Ralph!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 8:02 pm

somekindajoe wrote:

Top work Ralph!

Cheers Steve... cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An 'oops moment' turned out good!   An 'oops moment' turned out good! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An 'oops moment' turned out good!
Page 1 of 1