ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)

Go down 
+24
BigBear
Sparklebudgie
JohnnyE4
AdventureTeamHQ.com
ActionYankee
clivvers
somekindajoe
Reddragon
Captian action
ActionMan68
action bob
peterodgers
Rossini
Jet-
TheOneManKid
Beatlefan
inntruderr61
brownboots
Glidah Drivah
pachwerk
blueboxier
gibri
BAMComix
the_pauley
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Well I have 2 of the 50th Chaps and I'm sure they are the first of more to come ,I like em ,I have vintage ,repro joes ,40th joes, 40th action man and to date 2x50th basic soldiers and I love each and every one of the little blighters !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenAction Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Is there any dates for the next 50th action man to be released scratch scratch

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 am

Tom K chooses his own team members, I don't really have a say in it... he knows it's the 21st Century, but he just can't get used to fellas wearing lipstick... Tom K says sorry if he has upset anyone! Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 9:32 am

TheOneManKid wrote:
Tom K chooses his own team members, I don't really have a say in it... he knows it's the 21st Century, but he just can't get used to fellas wearing lipstick... Tom K says sorry if he has upset anyone! Embarassed

Lamo lol! lol!

Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 4:45 pm

AdventureTeamHQ.com wrote:
Sorry, I don't buy that. While I don't have any 50th guys yet and my 40th AM experience is limited, I have tons of repro Joes and they can take an absolute beating. I've put some of those Walmart AT figures through far worse than any normal conditions a kid would have put them in during the 70s and have had no real issues. Certainly there's a dud here or there that doesn't hold up for one reason or another, but those tend to be the exception, not the rule. Which is exactly how it was with the vintage figures as well. I think a lot of times people just assume something isn't up to par because they haven't handled it or handle it in such a fashion that no child ever would and then draw conclusions based on that flawed premise.

Personally, and this is not to knock anyone here or this forum (which is fantastic) I find that this happens over and over again. Anytime something new comes out, be it from the GI Joe Club, Hasbro or some other party, it gets dumped on. And often not for the very valid reasons. I've critiqued some of the things I've seen from the 50th and I think they are legitimate gripes. I'm still going to check one out and see for myself how much I enjoy it, but in general I find that the Joe/AM community is quick to bag on something new. Whether that's from years of not being listened to or being dismissed by the higher ups at toy companies or just some sort of jaded nature that comes with age or the hobby, I don't know. But what I find amusing is that often these attitudes change over time.

As an example, when the 40th first hit, there was a pretty big wave of negativity. But once the 40th had the plug pulled, suddenly everyone was talking about how great it was and a shame that it had been killed. Except of course for the new batch of "I told ya so" people, many of whom in fact didn't tell us anything but simply enjoy victory dancing in graveyards.

The point is, there are things to gripe about. The head sculpt looks a bit off this time around, some things may be assembled slightly differently, the packaging is completely different, but there's no denying that some real EFFORT has been put into these. They've cobbled together figures that hit what is generally considered the "best" of the AM range (your mileage may vary but flocked heads and grippers are preferred to the masses) and they've tweaked a few things to try and improve them. The outfits are clearly well made and nicely done, even if not exactly to the specs of some of the vintage models.

I just think many people are quick to dismiss new things because they're new and then that gets passed around, almost as if it were the gospel, until many folks don't even try these new things out. And then the new things aren't successful because of it and people like Hasbro are even less likely to continue to try and cater to this market.

By all means, if they're shoveling garbage at us we should call a spade a spade, but when they're actually trying to put out a quality product, perhaps it shouldn't be shredded just on the premise alone.

These are all good points, but we don't want to go the other way. These are expensive figures after all. The guys on other boards complaining about the $10-15 Power Team figures are over the top, but over $70 plus S+H is not chump change. The other thing is that Hobbycrash has set the bar high with their Geyperman and Group Action Joe reissues. Their standard and deluxe figure prices are about the same as the 50th Action Man ones; and you get more bang for your buck, imho. Like Sparklebudgie, I started collecting DML/BBi/21st; though I've stuck to vintage Joe/VAM for the last several years. There was a forum run by DML that was pretty much only open to cheerleaders. Any criticism of their figures was shot down or drowned out.

Neither trolling nor misplaced enthusiasm helps improve product quality. Just my $.02

I doubt that I'll get one of these 50th figs based on lack of space, but if they do release carded uniforms or gear, then that might find its way to my collection.

-Nate
Back to top Go down
SlackElastic
Medic
SlackElastic

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 11:25 pm

I'm sure they are decent figures but apart from the new artwork I don't see anything new... so paying £35 for a different box plus a third version of the same thing seems not worth it to me because I've got loads already. If someone buys one for the first time I'm sure they'd enjoy it. affraid

Anytime there's more... that's good!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/el_slackelastic/
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 4:20 pm

good thoughts slack

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Lots of positive stuff coming out which is always good. I really don't have a negative opinion on the head - I like it - took it for what it is. When my son was born I instantly loved him, despite his face not looking like mine! it's a happy hobby by nature and that's why we all enjoy it so much.

Re: pricing. We'd all like cheaper, including the company making them but pay rates and exchange rates have and continue to shift. They aren't like the old days.

If and when you buy the Paratrooper for instance for £60-£70 (whatever price it is) remember in 1967 you'd have had to make 4 trips to your wallet in the the toy shop. One for the Action Soldiet figure (£30 equivalent value), one to get the jungle beachhead camo (£10?), one for the paratroopers set (£25?) and then buy the helmet and netting (£5?). You still wouldn't have had the working parachute or display box.

I think the next for are on the water heading for home and it will be mid Jan before they have gone through to retail:-)

If I don't pop in before, I'd like to wish every last one of you good people a very Merry Christmas and a happy healthy new year Smile
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 7:27 pm

good to know they will be here early next year Rob!

Have a good Christmas mate! santa rendeer jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Perhaps im older than most people on here and can certainly say for sure that if my Action Men came in or around £60-70 back in the day you would not have got them.No way did they cost anything like that and picking prices out of the air does not mean they compare.Sorry.
Back to top Go down
ActionYankee
Landing Signal Officer
ActionYankee

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 pm

He's not picking prices out of the air, he's giving a rough estimate inflation adjustment.

Want some GI Joe Adventure Team fun? Check out my Adventure Team Files Fan Site!
Back to top Go down
http://northernindependent.wixsite.com/n-i-films
JohnnyE4
Red Devil
JohnnyE4

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 4:14 pm

so true
at todays prices for these they are still cheaper than HotToys or Sideshow
Back to top Go down
http://littledandbubba.weebly.com/index.html
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 4:43 pm

ActionYankee wrote:
He's not picking prices out of the air, he's giving a rough estimate inflation adjustment.

and he's factoring in the cost to purchase the carded accessory packages that would need be purchased to outfit a figure in the same gear this one comes with in the box.

santa santa santa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 pm

I do not care what you have to say,im telling you that an Action man with accs in the 60s would not cost £60-£70.If thats the case that amount would now equate to £280-£300 so lets be sensible here.Anyone remember what you could buy for a pound back then.
Back to top Go down
ghost recon
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
ghost recon

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 6:47 pm

I can close my eyes & remember the days gone by oh so clearly of shelf upon shelf of action man in a shop local to where I had lived. It's name was Martins & oddly to some maybe, It wasn't even primarily a place to get toys. It sold cigarettes, spirits you know all the usual supermarket types of stock. 20 cigarettes were 87p a packet (now £10 plus)
A dressed complete boxed VAM was at it's dearest point as I recall, £11.95 & £4 odds for a nude in the box. Carded was less than £10 as an average for most uni's across the board. Though SOTW were slightly dearer due to the medals I guess.
£50 in my childhood was unheard of for anything toy related & the streets I grew up on would have kicked you out for asking for such a toy. I think that with the 50th, if they want to make something of him. They need to re-think the price as he's too dear for what realistically is nothing more than a copy. In a world that is now so technology driven, seeking the prices they are cannot & will not compete with the tech market. If I were to say to our children 50th or Call of duty. 50th will lose all day long. Is that because of the figure? No, I think it's the price balance V the play-ability factor. In a world where China can mass produce & sell you items at 99p with free postage for 1-6 scale figures. How & where can or does this price even begin to compete?
I've been buying in originals & with a mind so old & prices of old so wedged. £50 for a copy of what was a masterpiece is to me quite the insult. I mean no offence or upset to any that support it or like it. I'm an old school fella that won't budge in my minds eye of an original world. My memories are precious to me & I'd like to keep it that way. With this said, I support the idea of a re-release, just not the price & or the lack of quality. Let's be sure of what were saying here, hand made or machine & on mass? No contest eh?

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 8:07 pm

I feel I must interrupt this thread for a moment. Can we please keep this thread to opinions and not offensive towards other opinions. As an Admin of the forum it is my duty to allow a debate to continue, but please keep it friendly Very Happy .
For the record I agree with Vince and Ade about the price, I do think they are over priced, but on the other hand if you look at the price of toys today, they are not cheap. Take Lego for example or even as Ade pointed out console games. It is the world we live in. Is Rob off with his inflation prices?, I don't know but the people in charge must know and set their prices accordingly?
However, the debate here is about 50th Action Man. If we want future kids to have the same affection and play value we had then surely it has to be a good thing?

So again, just to repeat, please express your opinions, but keep it friendly guys cheers

thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Very intresting read Ade,

There's no way i could remember the prices of AM from back in the day (1960's - 1970's) Most of it was given to me for free by Father Christmas santa santa santa santa

Last edited by clivvers on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 8:54 pm

1962boy wrote:
I do not care what you have to say,im telling you that an Action man with accs in the 60s would not cost £60-£70.If thats the case that amount would now equate to £280-£300 so lets be sensible here.Anyone remember what you could buy for a pound back then.

Hi 1962boy, I would like to apologize for the confrontational nature of my post. This hobby is, to me, all about the fun. I really don't care about the price. I was just trying to be supportive of Rob and the people producing these. I think it is a daunting task they have set for themselves fraught with peril, but I love them for trying.

rendeer santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Vintage Gijoe figures with correct uni, boots, cap,dog tag, booklet and coffin box were $2 to $4 back in the day...

40th Joes quite a bit more...Laughing Prices vary between vendors..

What does this have to do with 50th Action Man? Well nothing I guess...lol!
Carry on... santa rendeer geek

Last edited by inntruderr61 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Just for clarity this is my research on pricing (reposted)

Just thought it might be fun to see the relative values of Action Man basic figures through the years - If anyone can fill in the missing years let me know and I will edit this list below as we go! Check those price stickers!

This the pricing shows the competition and decline of popularity having a effect on value. High on introduction descending down. The 37/6 Action Man price is from Mike Acton's image on VAME.

1960s

Action Soldier 1966 32/11 = £28.74
Action Soldier 1967-69 37/6 = £31.52

1970s

Action Soldier 1970-73 £2.23 = £33.30
Soldier 1973 £3.20 = £38.08
Soldier 1973 -77 £2.75 = £32.73
Soldier 1977
Soldier 1978-81 £5.45 = £28.29

1980s

Soldier (Sharpshooter) 1981 £4.75 = £18.43
Basic figure 1981
Helicopter Pilot 1981= RRP £7.11 = £29.59
SAS Commander 1983 (assumed flash sale old stock) £2.99 £9.54
Soldier 1983 (assumed flash sale old stock) £3.99 £12.73
Basic figure 1983 (assumed flash sale old stock) £1.99 £6.35

1990s

"Duke" 1992 £14.99 = £28.09
Battle Force 1992 £15.75 = £28.98
Operation Tiger 1995 £9.95 = £17.91
Super Ninja 1999 £9.99 = £15.88

2000s

Action Soldier 40th Figure in box 2006 (£20) = £27.00
Action Soldier 40th figure and uniform 2006 (£35) = £47.25

2010s

Action Soldier 50th 2016 (inc post/packing) 2016 £34.99
British Infantryman 50th 2016 (inc post/packing) 2016 £49.99
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:43 pm

clivvers wrote:
Very intresting read Ade,

There's no way i could remember the prices of AM from back in the day (1960's - 1970's) Most of it was given to me for free by Father Christmas santa santa santa santa

Speaking from the other side of the Atlantic, I agree with Jim.

I remember a basic boxed Action Soldier/Marine/Pilot/Sailor sold for $4.00 (USD). Came in a coffin box with basic uniform, boots, cap, dog tags, stickers and booklet. in 1964.

Christmas 1964, it was a very good year!!!

cheers cheers rendeer santa rendeer cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks for posting your research Rob cheers
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Great research Bob... cheers

Not sure how your pound money system works compared
to US dollars though... scratch

Last edited by inntruderr61 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JohnnyE4
Red Devil
JohnnyE4

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:58 pm

I always got mine free from Santa

now I got to pay for them myself and it sucks
Back to top Go down
http://littledandbubba.weebly.com/index.html
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 12:14 am

Here in the States...

Looks like 40th Joes with coffin boxes & correct accessories are
costing $30 +shipping right now on ebay...
Compared to $2-$4 for similar Joes in 1960's-70's....

Last edited by inntruderr61 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next