ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)

Go down 
+24
BigBear
Sparklebudgie
JohnnyE4
AdventureTeamHQ.com
ActionYankee
clivvers
somekindajoe
Reddragon
Captian action
ActionMan68
action bob
peterodgers
Rossini
Jet-
TheOneManKid
Beatlefan
inntruderr61
brownboots
Glidah Drivah
pachwerk
blueboxier
gibri
BAMComix
the_pauley
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage

Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Considering how much a man would earn in the 60s i couldnt see anyone paying a weeks wages for an Action man.So equate it how you like no one would pay a weeks money for a 50th Action man.

Merry xmas everybody. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 am

1962boy wrote:
Considering how much a man would earn in the 60s i couldnt see anyone paying a weeks wages for an Action man.So equate it how you like no one would pay a weeks money for a 50th Action man.

Merry xmas everybody. Very Happy

I don't think you have got to grips with with the original prices the (my first number) and the equivalent value at today's value (my second number).

Average wages in 1966 were £17 a week (£891 per year) which is 340 Shillings!

That would have bought 10 Action Men in 1966.

So if today's Action Man is £34.95 and you also bought ten it would set you back £349.95 (£1396 a month wages). Do you see how this works out.

So, in relative terms the average man in the street when Action Man launched in 1966, he could have bought 10 with a weeks salary. The same man in 2016 can buy 15 a week of the new 50th. Based on all data freely available online.

This is interesting http://www.experian.co.uk/blogs/consumer-advice/how-cost-of-living-has-changed-since-1966/
Back to top Go down
ghost recon
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
ghost recon

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 12:53 pm

The calm approach: Very Happy
I see no comparison in the prices of old to the prices of today. The two will never marry up no matter how many times we type it out. I think the basis of this debate (carefully chosen lol) is the sustainability of this little guy at the prices they are seeking for him in a market that is driven by things that are way more advanced &, in a great deal of instances cheaper too.
I'll assume that the majority of us that reside here or upon another forum(tut-tut)/Facebook etc have children. Now, whether they're small or fully grown. Grown would actually be an advantage in this as your able to say. What are you buying your children for Christmas this year. Would you consider this figure over that game or the latest in thing. I sadly believe not due to price over play.
I do feel that we as collectors are unique. We were the chosen generation that got to have this for want of a sentence as our main diet. We ate, slept & played Action man. So to place this 50th little guy where he is & give him his place in time. He's a copy of a truly wonderful original & no doubt his creators are trying to replicate that into today's market, but without that same quality attached & or commitment to the product via the pricing. I do think this is one adventure too many for the little guy. Re-think this price if possible & he may just wind up on your Grand-children's carpet. That's a price I'd pay!

Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 12:56 pm

To put it another way, in 1966 a new Ford mustang cost between $2500-3000. A fully loaded Cadillac went for about $6000. A Rolls Royce Silver Shadow could be yours for just under $20,000; just a tad more than what my Ford Focus cost me. That's what inflation does.

-Nate
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Usually if I really want something I'll pay whatever price they ask... Very Happy
But if its something I'm not quite thrilled about then I start thinking
hummm maybe that price is to high... Smile

Yes price inflation has happened to just about everything in life...
Wages were low back in the 60's-70's so it kind of still equals out
even at todays prices since wages are higher now... I think scratch

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Whatever the costs let's all take the time to remember all those parents, grandparents and Aunts and Uncles that dug deep and bought us Action Man in harder times. It was always been a 'big' present - in my household at least - and I felt fortunate. I know some mates couldn't afford and one in particular who had to use a catalogue to spread the cost. He played VERY carefully with his as his mum told him it wasn't paid for yet. I remember feeling sad for him.

Hope Christmas still holds a thrill for all of you.

My best wishes Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Well said Rob,memories are the most valuable.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 7:45 pm

wiscan wrote:
Whatever the costs let's all take the time to remember all those parents, grandparents and Aunts and Uncles that dug deep and bought us Action Man in harder times. It was always been a 'big' present - in my household at least - and I felt fortunate. I know some mates couldn't afford and one in particular who had to use a catalogue to spread the cost. He played VERY carefully with his as his mum told him it wasn't paid for yet. I remember feeling sad for him.

Hope Christmas still holds a thrill for all of you.

My best wishes Smile

Well said Wiscan! cheers
I was adopted by my grandparents who were both retired and on a fixed income when
I was a youngster so yes they scraped to buy me Joes...Good point! Very Happy

New Recruit
G.I.Barbie

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Really liking the look of the new range! Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)   Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Action Man 50th Photos (Don't get too excited chaps)
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7