ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics

Go down 
+5
blueboxier
BAMComix
Captian action
somekindajoe
TheOneManKid
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Empty
PostSubject: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 8:37 am

The story here is that I have a buddy in the States with a big collection of Joes, but he is not so confident to fix them up, so he sent me a few that needed some elastic magic. This is the worst example, so I thought I'd share some pics of the process. If you want to have a go on your own, then feel free to ask questions to get more detail...

He sent me two Joes, one to get fixed and another badly split headless one with serviceable elastic... both '64 T.M. single R Joes
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2016

Rusted and worn through elastic...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2017

Badly split leg parts, but good enough elastic...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2018

Set up the leg in a vice with a small nail on the inside of the thigh and something on the other side to create space for the rivet to exit...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2019

Heat up the plastic with your Revlon hairdryer. The pins should push out easily as you tighten the vice, only squeeze enough to release the pins, don't go too deep with the nail...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2020

You should end up with the pair looking like this with the loose pins still inside...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2021

Repeat the process with the legs you want to strip the good elastic out of...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2022

You should end up with a nice pile of usable parts to reassemble...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2023

Pay close attention to aligning the pin up with the hole, you don't want to damage the inside of the thigh. You may also want to re-heat the plastic to make it slip through with ease...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2024

You can use the vice to press the pin back through, but be careful...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2025

Slip the neck hook on the elastic, you may have to open the hook slightly to get it on, or you could slip it on before assembly. Forcing it on may damage the vintage elastic...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2026

Reassemble your Joe. I am assuming that if you are brave enough to do this, then you already know how to pull the elastic through the body, but if not then ask...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2027

One complete Joe...
'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Img_2028

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 am

Very informative thread and great restoration! I'd have never been brave enough to try and do that with the thigh rivets!

I love the way you don't do this on a common old 70's VAM but on a couple of very early Joes!

..Although as a Red Box fan I'm a little uneasy about the combination of you and a vice!affraid affraid

lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 10:26 am

somekindajoe wrote:
............Although as a Red Box fan I'm a little uneasy about the combination of you and a vice!affraid affraid

lol!  
lol! lol! lol! lol! , great thread Ralph, I have never been brave enough to do that with the thigh pins either, always wondered how you achieved that, brilliant !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 12:48 pm

lol! lol! lol! @ Steve!

Fantastic how to guide Ralph! thanks for sharing! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 3:11 pm

very clever use of the hair dryer . what do you intend doing about the stress fractures may i ask ?

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 3:45 pm

I have tried fixing stress cracks before without major success, so these days I just leave or replace. Badly split and damaged go in the bin!

Back to top Go down
pachwerk
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
pachwerk

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Brilliant way to save the original pins and save us from the hassle involved with new pin rivet peening.

Rich
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Excellent tutorial!!!

Thanks for the tips, info and photos!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 12:23 pm

i read somewhere that somebody used a solder iron to fix stress fractures , but i'm not sure that it would hold on tight enough for posing figs

Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 9:11 pm

blueboxier wrote:
i read somewhere that somebody used a solder iron to fix stress fractures , but i'm not sure that it would hold on tight enough for posing figs
I have used that method you have to combine both sides of the crack in a criss cross motion to melt weld together , then I usually dress it up with a file and a nail buffer to make the plastic shiny again , now I just use plastic weld , fantastic stuff it holds both sides of the crack and can fill significant cracks too , great stuff !it can also be filed and sanded and polished although is clear !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 11:26 am

Captian action wrote:
blueboxier wrote:
I have used that method you have to combine both sides of the crack in a criss cross motion to melt weld together , then I usually dress it up with a file and a nail buffer to make the plastic shiny again , now I just use plastic weld , fantastic stuff it holds both sides of the crack and can fill significant cracks too , great stuff !it can also be filed and sanded and polished although is clear !
thanks for that cap

Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Super unload My friend, very informative info, excellent photos and description well done cheers cheers cheers

Flock Head (Hard Hands)
pachwerk

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Captian action wrote:
blueboxier wrote:

What is plastic weld and how do you use it for limb cracks?

Rich
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 7:43 pm

It is known as plastic weld ,5second fix and laser bond , it a substance the liquid consistency of super glue which then hardens under the ultraviolet light provided in the kit , it can be found on uk eBay , the cheapest sellers are the Chinese I purchased 2 packs from China @2.50 each , where as the uk produced item was £10 , they work identically ,I have had no issues with the cheaper Chinese version .
Basically it in the case of a crack fuses to either side producing a clear bond within the crack to either side ,it is a liquid plastic which hardens under uv light

Last edited by Captian action on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 pm

pachwerk wrote:
Captian action wrote:
blueboxier wrote:

What is plastic weld and how do you use it for limb cracks?

Rich

Yeah, share a link to the product please? Actually I've thought about the using the glue that plumbers use to 'weld' together PVC plastic piping, could be a similar product?

Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 8:15 pm

plumbers glue is more for tight sealing pipes as it is a strong solvent rather than glue that fuses the plastic pipes together by melting the inner of the fitting and outer surface of pipe together.it works more like superglue also a solvent using heat and air to cure ! I'm sure you are aware if like me you have ever spilt superglue on your fingers or prized table ?! there is a certain thermal element when superglue dries

although initially the same consistency of superglue ,it is non thermic and does not cure until blasted with U.V. light the (plastic weld, 5 second fix , laser bond , bondic) can also be used to build up layers and will infill deeper (wider) cracks then can be filed and polished so dressed ,though will appear clear ,here is a link to products Both Brown Boots and I have used and highly recommend as we have both used it in a modelling sense ,to build up layers ,myself with Redskull, I believe BB used it on his frankenstiens monster bash !(trade secrets ) lol!
anyway its great stuff try it for yerself !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Second-Fix-Liquid-Plastic-UV-Welding-Kit-Fix-Repair-Seal-Wood-Glass-Fabric-/252460378701?hash=item3ac7cfaa4d:g:55kAAOSw0kNXhqhd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-5-Second-Fix-UV-Light-Repair-Tool-Glue-Refill-Liquid-Plastic-Welding-Kit-/172270078909?var=&hash=item281c18cbbdⓂm8GGCoXp3lEuDow_gMY8axg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-Glue-Pen-Laser-Bond-3-Second-Fix-UV-Light-Liquid-Plastic-Weld-Repair-Tool-/262643321220?hash=item3d26c30984:g:aOgAAOSwzaJX6JEy
there are cheaper options from mainland china , stick to Hong Kong , much more rapid dispatch ! (personal opinion )
just for price comparison 5 second fix can be found in jml and Homebase I believe at around the £7 mark
and the uk product bondic is the uber expensive version and costs around £12 + or - depending where purchased

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bondic-Basic-Kit-UV-Plastic-Weld-Bond-Lazer-fast-in-4-sec-/142106717586?hash=item2116386d92:g:cAAAAOSw8gVX5qlD

with no discernible difference in product quality
and I have used bondic and the cheaper alternatives

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 11:07 pm

Great upload! Very Happy

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 5:16 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:
Great upload! Very Happy

I will do another one soon using new elastic and splits and cracks repairs then... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 pm

TheOneManKid wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:
Great upload! Very Happy

I will do another one soon using new elastic and splits and cracks repairs then... Very Happy

Fantastic! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Captian action wrote:
It is known as plastic weld ,5second fix and laser bond , it a substance the liquid consistency of super glue which then hardens under the ultraviolet light provided in the kit , it can be found on uk eBay , the cheapest sellers are the Chinese I purchased 2 packs from China @2.50 each , where as the uk produced item was £10 , they work identically ,I have had no issues with the cheaper Chinese version .
Basically it in the case of a crack fuses to either side producing a clear bond within the crack to either side ,it is a liquid plastic which hardens under uv light
this sounds like an excellent product . i'll have to get some

PostSubject: Re: '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics    '64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'64 Joe Replacement Elastic Pics
Page 1 of 1