Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The little things that annoy you about Action Man.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Prof Gangrene Fan
Prof Gangrene Fan

The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2018 6:34 pm

This isn’t anything that I find annoy you about Mam it’s more that I’m just not a huge fan these sets and they are Ninja sets and space sets.

SCRAMBLE PILOT
Joe90

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2018 10:38 pm

I'll tell you what really annoys me about Action Man/G.I. Joe!

It's those little fiddly pieces like bayonets and hand grenades that pop off and go missing when the figure falls over.

I was doing some renovations in my JoeRoom and opened up a wall, and there was a bunch of 1/6 accessories mixed up in a pile single of socks and dryer sheets.  How do VAM/Joe pieces and items from my clothes dryer wind up in the same place?

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'll tell you what really annoys me about Action Man/G.I. Joe!

It's those little fiddly pieces like bayonets and hand grenades that pop off and go missing when the figure falls over.

I was doing some renovations in my JoeRoom and opened up a wall, and there was a bunch of 1/6 accessories mixed up in a pile single of socks and dryer sheets.  How do VAM/Joe pieces and items from my clothes dryer wind up in the same place?

lol!

It happens...lol

Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Gunner Munro wrote:
.... and whats happened to the e-bay prices ?? Shocked I read some where over 58 million were made lol! lol!

58 million eh Steve? I'd say you me and a few of the others have collected a fair percentage of that tongue Very Happy

Kev.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Artic Explorer
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 3:36 am

Moulded on clothing......that and headsets and visors, or glasses moulded onto the face!
I like to re-purpose my MAMs and if they have clothing or specific equipment permanently attached to the face or body then it limits what I can do.
(Although I have perfected removing that all too commonly found face mike on MAM.)

That and those HUGE hands that will not go through some of the really fantastic clothing that's now available.
Don't like having to split a seam and re-sew the garment back on, because then it's permanent!
Thanks to great instructions from Blondeactionman here, I will now try his method to pop off those hands and that will save me a great deal of frustration.
THANKS Blondeactionman!

AND while I'm having a whinge here, ....WHY does every vehicle designed for MAM absolutely HAVE to come outfitted with enough high powered guns and cannons to equip a Middle Eastern War?
Even the damned dogs have guns attached to their heads, complete with telescopic sights! Question Question Question

Couldn't we just for once have a normal car or jeep, maybe a boat or a jetski, even a sled that didn't have some sort of lethal weapon attached? (Or at least was detachable?)
Even my MMU ( Manned Maneuvering Unit ) designed for outer space has two flip-over guns, ....which when you think about it is a totally ridiculous idea!
If they were fired in zero gravity the recoil would send the whole unit flying violently and uncontrollably backwards in the opposite direction!

I often like to model situations where the possession of a fully stocked arsenal probably isn't really needed and it's pretty damned difficult if the only vehicle available is bristling with machine guns.

I know he's "Action Man" but doesn't he ever take a break?

Last edited by LeStryge on Sun May 26, 2019 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Ski Patrol
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 5:06 pm

A 'little thing' that annoys me about GI Joe / Action Man is actually a 'big thing': they stopped making him!

And when there is an anniversary re-release or special edition or something, the quality isn't as good as the original 1960s-1970s figures.

Like, c'mon, seriously? With modern production methods and materials, shouldn't Joe/AM figures be better than they ever were? More durable? Better articulation? But they can't even seem to make 'em full size anymore; what's the deal with the short legs on the Masterpiece Editions, for example?

I can't even find 3-3/4 inch Joes in local stores anymore.

I just don't understand how a toy line as iconic as Barbie was allowed to fade away.

Artic Explorer
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
A 'little thing' that annoys me about GI Joe / Action Man is actually a 'big thing': they stopped making him!
And when there is an anniversary re-release or special edition or something, the quality isn't as good as the original 1960s-1970s figures.
Like, c'mon, seriously? With modern production methods and materials, shouldn't Joe/AM figures be better than they ever were? More durable? Better articulation? But they can't even seem to make 'em full size anymore; what's the deal with the short legs on the Masterpiece Editions, for example?

You mean like this?

The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 OeTAz8

SCU_HQ wrote:
I just don't understand how a toy line as iconic as Barbie was allowed to fade away.
Barbie certainly didn't "fade away".
Oh no!
She beefed up and became "Carbi-Barbie".....which failed to sell. Sales went down everywhere and they were forced to pair the fat one with the iconic one to get rid of them.
Just goes to show what happens when you mess with success.

Ski Patrol
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 1:47 am

LeStryge wrote:

You mean like this?

SCU_HQ wrote:
Barbie certainly didn't "fade away".

Ha ha! Yes, like that! Exactly!

I'm sorry, I did not phrase that last bit clearly. I mean, I do not understand how a toy line (GI Joe/Action Man) who was as iconic as Barbie is and remains today could have been allowed to wither on the vine. Sure, there was some anti-war and anti-weapons consumer reaction at various times, but Adventure Team stepped in to save the day. Rather than discontinuing the line when the market for large size action figures began to decline, couldn't HASBRO have kept Joe going as a niche or collector line?

The 1980s 3-3/4 inch reboot became hugely popular, yet they, too, were allowed to languish. How hard could it have been to capitalize on that momentum and keep the line alive? These toy companies lose focus on the long-term in pursuit of short-term double-digit quarterly growth, they end up offering too many options (does anybody remember "Super Joe," a 9-inch replacement for the Adventure Team, or the Sigma-6 8-inch new Joe figures), and customers lose interest when stores can't stock all the variants, buyer frustration sets in, and the lines fail.

But yeah, 'dumbing down' the originals seems to be the biggest "fail" on the part of the toy companies, and is one of my primary pet peeves about toy collecting in general.

Artic Explorer
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 2:02 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I'm sorry, I did not phrase that last bit clearly. I mean, I do not understand how a toy line (GI Joe/Action Man) who was as iconic as Barbie is and remains today could have been allowed to wither on the vine.
Don't worry SCU_HQ, ...I knew EXACTLY what you meant. Just wanted to get the Barbie bit in! lol! lol! lol!

Ski Patrol
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 2:41 am

LeStryge wrote:

Don't worry SCU_HQ, ...I knew EXACTLY what you meant. Just wanted to get the Barbie bit in!

I figured it was something like that! Razz

Okay... so, when are you gonna share pix of your Barbie collection?  Twisted Evil

(Fat Barbie... don't get me started! It seems like all the Barbie pegs in the toy aisle of the local stores are filled with Fat Barbie and Man-Bun Ken!)

Artic Explorer
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 3:05 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I figured it was something like that!  Razz
Okay... so, when are you gonna share pix of your Barbie collection?  Twisted Evil
Sorry, ...took me a while to find my Barbie & Ken.
Can't quite put my finger on it but seems they've changed a bit since I last played with 'em though.  Shocked   lol!  lol!  lol!

The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 6SvgrF
I'm nearly sure Ken didn't come like this.....
The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 0lPUuF

SCU_HQ wrote:
(Fat Barbie... don't get me started! It seems like all the Barbie pegs in the toy aisle of the local stores are filled with Fat Barbie and Man-Bun Ken!)
Oh and I thought it might be just me!
Whenever I even catch a glimpse of THIS guy, I just want to start smashing his supercilious nerd-knotted head off!
(And I'm not a violent person....really!)
The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 424fGi

Last edited by LeStryge on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Artic Explorer
LeStryge

PostSubject: Startled Eagle Eyes?   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 5:18 am

Probably heresy here on this board, by why do the eagle-eye versions of VAM look as though somebody has just done something unspeakable to him? affraid
And yet the eagle-eyed MAMs look really good?
I think it's because in the vintage version the whole iris of the eye shows, instead of having its edge up under the eyelid, which gives that startled expression.

PostSubject: Re: The little things that annoy you about Action Man.   The little things that annoy you about Action Man. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The little things that annoy you about Action Man.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Help and Advice :: Vam & 1/6 Questions-
Jump to: