ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Flower Power!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

Flower Power! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 5:17 am

Here's my bonsai bougainvillea (full cascade style), and yes, that's a 1/6 scale Oriental gentleman sitting beneath, hugging his now empty wine jar !
This thing has been flowering in over-drive this "winter" (HA!)

Flower Power! - Page 2 Pnl33w0Sj

...and here's a white cattleya orchid that's decided to bloom. This lives outside all year round and thrives on what I like to call "benign neglect".
The blooms are easily bigger than your hand.

Flower Power! - Page 2 PlO6aDHBj

Last edited by LeStryge on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 1:02 am

Superb flower power LeStryge! Very Happy

Better get him some more wine... lol!

praying mantis
Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8711
Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8710
Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8712
Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8713

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 am

If that's a male mantis, he's obviously a virgin, because he's still got his head! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Although on closer inspection, that swollen abdomen leads me to suspect it's a female enjoying some post-coital digestion time.

Gotta admit I do like all phasmids.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 am

Beautiful flowers, Barry, you have many talents!

but

Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 3:36 am

Thank you gibri, but how did you deduce I REALLY enjoy old "bad" sci-fi movies, specially when they involve giant anythings!
(So often the result of atomic waste or nuclear radiation of some form!)
Specially those oldies before G.G.I. was invented and every effect had to be done "for real", with models, men in rubber suits or stop motion photography.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 3:53 am

Jim's pics made me think of it.

I still remember the first time I saw this film, I didn't even know it was sci-fi at first. The very beginning of the movie is like a documentary about the USAF air defense system in the early cold war. And if there is one thing I like better than old sci-fi movies it's military documentaries. I was hooked.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 4:36 am

Well it's great to know that if Fate ever sees us sharing a single TV, we'll never argue over the choice of programmes! lol!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 4:37 am

The Deadly Mantis is definitely one of my favorites among the "giant bug" genre of 1950s sci-fi movies. I have long believed a sequel, Return of the Deadly Mantis, is in order; after all, the mantis (SPOILER ALERT) was sealed in a tunnel at the end of the movie. Maybe it was dead, but... maybe not! Or... maybe it laid eggs!

Coincidentally, earlier today I saw my first mantis since moving to the U.S. state of Utah. It was a small one, and moved surprisingly fast, so I was unable to snap a photo. But I was happy to see one.

I am always impressed by the photos of LeStryge's exotic flowers!

LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2019 5:20 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Coincidentally, earlier today I saw my first mantis since moving to the U.S. state of Utah. It was a small one, and moved surprisingly fast, so I was unable to snap a photo.
That's not a mantis.....THIS is a MANTIS!!!
Last year I had a Giant Stick Insect here that measured just over 14 inches in length! Seriously! I had never seen one that size before.

Flower Power! - Page 2 PltofzLpj

SCU_HQ wrote:
Thanks Dave.
I do hope you watched the You-Tube link of my "Queen of the Night".

https://youtu.be/MyHZ4M9dV8s

She's gathering up for another flowering, ...it's just ONE night only and is even bigger this year, despite some heavy wind bringing down a branch.

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2019 4:56 am

More flowers.....this time what's commonly known here as a "rock lily", but it's really an orchid.
These things seem to thrive on little more than air and cling to just about anything solid.

Flower Power! - Page 2 XEKBYQ

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 am

And as an addenda of interest to probably no-one at all, today I managed to get some blue-bell bulbs to actually flower!
Now that may not seem all that special to those of you in the UK used to seeing those picture-post-card depictions of whole woods brimming full of the damn things, but imagine if you will that for here where I live, it's the rough equivalent of getting a frangipani to bloom in the Northern most Orkneys!

Oh, and let me just say "Arrrrrgh!"....because it's National Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 4:59 pm

LeStryge wrote:
Oh, and let me just say "Arrrrrgh!"....because it's National Talk Like A Pirate Day!

That be INTER-national Talk Like a Pirate Day, swabbie! pirat

LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Well shiver me timbers, and have me dance the hempen jig if it ain't so, me hearty!
Call me a bilge-sucking dog, but I must'a been three sheets to the wind on that rot-gut grog to make an idjit mistake such as that'un!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 am

LeStryge wrote:
Well shiver me timbers, and have me dance the hempen jig if it ain't so, me hearty!
Call me a bilge-sucking dog, but I must'a been three sheets to the wind on that rot-gut grog to make an idjit mistake such as that'un!

Razz pirat Razz

Fun fact: the Talk Like a Pirate Day "holiday" was created by two scallawags who lived in a podunk town in the U.S. state of Oregon, only 45 minutes up the road from where I grew up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day

LeStryge
Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 12:34 am

Had to look up ""podunk" but I think another fun fact is that real pirates probably never talked anything like what has become the popular language.
The whole thing was made up by English actor Robert Newton for his role as Long John Silver in both the 1950 Disney film Treasure Island and the 1954 Australian film!

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am

LeStryge wrote:
If that's a male mantis, he's obviously a virgin, because he's still got his head! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Although on closer inspection, that swollen abdomen leads me to suspect it's a female enjoying some post-coital digestion time.

Gotta admit I do like all phasmids.

lol! lol! lol!

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:29 am

gibri wrote:
Beautiful flowers, Barry, you have many talents!

but

OH NO! The Deadly Mantis! affraid affraid affraid

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:30 am

LeStryge wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
Coincidentally, earlier today I saw my first mantis since moving to the U.S. state of Utah. It was a small one, and moved surprisingly fast, so I was unable to snap a photo.
That's not a mantis.....THIS is a MANTIS!!!
Last year I had a Giant Stick Insect here that measured just over 14 inches in length! Seriously! I had never seen one that size before.

Flower Power! - Page 2 PltofzLpj

SCU_HQ wrote:
Thanks Dave.
I do hope you watched the You-Tube link of my "Queen of the Night".

https://youtu.be/MyHZ4M9dV8s

She's gathering up for another flowering, ...it's just ONE night only and is even bigger this year, despite some heavy wind bringing down a branch.

HOLY CRAP! IS that thing for real! affraid

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:31 am

LeStryge wrote:
More flowers.....this time what's commonly known here as a "rock lily", but it's really an orchid.
These things seem to thrive on little more than air and cling to just about anything solid.

Flower Power! - Page 2 XEKBYQ

COOL Flower! Thanks for posting! Very Happy

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:33 am

LeStryge wrote:
And as an addenda of interest to probably no-one at all, today I managed to get some blue-bell bulbs to actually flower!
Now that may not seem all that special to those of you in the UK used to seeing those picture-post-card depictions of whole woods brimming full of the damn things, but imagine if you will that for here where I live, it's the rough equivalent of getting a frangipani to bloom in the Northern most Orkneys!

Any pic of your bluebells? Question Question Question

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 am

inntruderr61 wrote:
Mate, when I say that they flowered, they did, (and that was the achievement) however the "display" was FAR from what those in the UK would see! lol! lol! lol!
I only have about ten bulbs! They are hard to buy here. And they didn't all perform either!

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 1:50 am

LeStryge wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:
Mate, when I say that they flowered, they did, (and that was the achievement) however the "display" was FAR from what those in the UK would see! lol! lol! lol!
I only have about ten bulbs! They are hard to buy here. And they didn't all perform either!

Oh ok... lol!

I got a disease on one of our roses called RRD or Rose rosette disease... Its deadly to roses and is spread by a tiny mite that blows in the wind...
I had to remove the entire rose bush before it spreads to all our other roses...

https://www.provenwinners.com/learn/pest-management/what-rose-rosette-disease

Here is branching from our rose bush that had RRD..Here;s what it looks like..

Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8714

Talking Commander
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 2:52 am

Jim, that DOES look serious! The mite must spread some sort of virus that causes the plant to mutate and grow those weirdly deformed branches.
Hopefully your quarantine method has stopped it from spreading?
Pleased to say that's one problem we DON'T get here, although it is amazing just how far anything wind born can travel.

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 2:26 am

LeStryge wrote:
Jim, that DOES look serious! The mite must spread some sort of virus that causes the plant to mutate and grow those weirdly deformed branches.
Hopefully your quarantine method has stopped it from spreading?
Pleased to say that's one problem we DON'T get here, although it is amazing just how far anything wind born can travel.

Yep RRD is very serious...It has wiped out entire rose gardens consisting of 500+ roses in some US states...

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 am

zinnias
Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8715
Flower Power! - Page 2 Img_8716

PostSubject: Re: Flower Power!   Flower Power! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flower Power!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: