Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AMMO Book Club

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Hope you don't mind me posting this? Might be an idea to make it sticky??

I'd been searching for a good WWII novel for a while. Sara, my wife came up trumps with my Christmas present. It's called Under An English Heaven and it's by Robert Radcliffe. One if the reviews said The descriptions of air combat are first class... Humor and Pathos (I thought he was one of the three musketeers) are blended to superb effect. Radcliffe is not just a born storyteller, but one of those generous writers who look for the best in human nature... Will bring a glow to the most jaded cheeks.

After my brain surgery I had to learn to read again, I'm also a slow reader so a novel needs to be really engaging for me to stick with it, ( which is why I love commando comics) this novel is just that. So if you want a good read I highly recommend it.

If anyone has any other suggestions especially for historical novels please post here.

Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 am

Anything by Jack Higgens! I'm sure you already know!

Rick
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks Rick. No wasn't aware of him. Only just started reading historical novels after reading commando comics. Is ther a particular title you'd recommend?

Mark
Back to top Go down

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 am

I haven't read them all, haven't done much reading in years, eyes just can't adjust like they used to.

I read these years ago, "The Eagle Has Landed" and "Luciano's Luck" are very memorable probably after more than 20 years. Not too many authors do that to me because I have a horrible memory. Ck them out, you won't be disappointed. Google him for many more titles. Lots of them are WWII era!

Enjoy, Rick
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks Rick. The Eagle Has Landed is one of my Favourite films to. :-)
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 am

excellent idea for a thread Mark Wink

The last series of books I read was the Eddie and Nina adventures as they are known, some of the titles include,

the hunt for atlantis
the tomb of herakles

there are many more. They are a great modern type of Indiana Jones type adventures, following ex sas soldier Eddie Chase and archaeological Nina Wlide, These books are fantastic and I highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys a good adventure !! the name of the author is Andy McDermott Wink
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Have to agree with Dal, this is a great idea for a thread Mark!

I got this a few years ago and I found it impossible to put down. Not a novel but has loads of short stories of real life adventures including the cockleshell heroes, Captain Scott and the first missions of the SAS in WW2.
It really is a great read Mark if you don't mind real life stories as well as novels.
Looks like its only available in paperback now but wont detract from the content.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Tales-Making-Men-Boys/dp/0141035595/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358885967&sr=1-5#_
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks Dal. I'll take a look mate. Richard those stories sound right up my street. Thanks for posting guys.
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 pm

They are a great read mark, here is a link

http://www.andy-mcdermott.com/books.html
Back to top Go down
zulu1
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
zulu1

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Mark, some of the classic war stories are really worth reading, such as

The Great Escape
Ice Cold in ALex
633 Squadron
The Cruel Sea

They have all been made into films, and the books are terrific
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks Tony. Hadn't really given them a thought. Really love the films so hopefully I'll enjoy the books too.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 am

superb! cheers
Back to top Go down
clivvers
BULLET MAN
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 am

I've just found this post,

How about a true story, Colditz...

Colditz was the last stop for prisoners of war in the Second World War. It was to this impregnable fortress that the Germans sent all those prisoners who persisted in escaping from other camps, such as Stalag Luft III (of THE GREAT ESCAPE FAME). Once within the walls of Colditz, the Germans reasoned, escape was impossible. And yet during the four-year period when the castle was used as a prison over 300 men escaped, 31 of whom managed to complete the hazardous journey home through Germany. Prisoners from 10 different countries formed a truly international escape academy. Skeleton keys were made, German passes forged, maps drafted, and all manner of tools and machinery constructed out of whatever the prisoners had to hand. The ingenuity of the escape artists knew no bounds: the tried everything from tunnelling, to hiding in rubbish sacks, disguising themselves as German officers, and leaping acrobatically from the castle walls.

BBC's (1972 made) Colditz is currently showing on Freeview tv every week day at 4:10pm on the YESTERDAY channel 19.
It's an excellent drama affair with very strong acting and superb dialogue Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 1:52 am

That's a great suggestion Clive. I have just finished reading Under an Englush Heaven and it is the best novel I have EVER read!!! If you haven't read a book in a while and are unterested in wartime takes if flying fotresses and US airmen and tgeir relationships with the Brits this one will have you gripped and don't be put off by the size either.

Colditz would be really fascinating as one of my dads mate, Jock Ross was Douglas Bader's Batman so was actually there.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
BULLET MAN
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 am

I bet he has some great tales to pass on Very Happy . I can remember the tales my late nan used to tell me over tea and cake for hours, all relating to WWII.

One of my nans memories was of some Italian POWs that were working in a farmers field at the end of the road where she lived. Some of the POWs were doing hand gestures for wanting a cigarette from her as she came back from getting her food rations from local shops... She knew what it was like to go without a smoke so felt sorry for them. As she gave out a few cigarettes through the fence to the POWs a guard fired up a warning shot from his gun, he then gave my nan and the POWs a right grilling lol! .

The best place to hear WWII stories is to volunteer to help serve tea at a pensioners day club for a few hours Smile .
Back to top Go down
http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
Harry McTavish
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Harry McTavish

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:44 pm

I read a lot of books mostly military, so this could be a big list. I'm quite a fan of Andy McNabs books and at present reading one of his.
For Commando comic type books you can't go past Leo Kessler, if you can get any. Robert Westall, The Machine Gunners is good too. I still have the book from my childhood and I have recently bought the sequel Fathom Five.
Winged Victory by V.M. Yeates is about the air war of 1914-18. T.E Lawrence said One of the most distinguished histories of the war....an imperishable pleasure.
The Boys from Bagdad by Simon Low
Close Quarter Battle by Mike Curtis
Al Deere by Richard C Smith
Stokers Submarine by Fred and Elizabeth Brenchley

To name but a few. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey Ray. Thanks for the list. I've been reading commando comics since finishing Under an English Heaven. Which I highl recommend!!!!! Lol. About ready to start reading another novel now.
Back to top Go down
TALLY HO
ASTRONAUGHT
TALLY HO

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Books by james holland ... Featuring a charactor called jack tanner very easy to read ,
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks Tally will take a look on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
sirsidneyruffdiamond
Polar Explorer
sirsidneyruffdiamond

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 1:58 am

The best WW2 books I ever read were the Sven Hassel books I read in the 70's, absolutely amazing and graphic, and from the German point of view. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

The Legion of the Damned
Wheels Of Terror
Comrades of War
March Battalion
Assignment Gestapo
Monte Cassino
Liquidate Paris
SS-General
Reign of Hell
Blitzfreeze
The Bloody Road to Death
Court Martial
O.G.P.U. Prison
The Commissar

You will not be disappointed by these.

Sir Sid ( AMMO book critic )
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Deep Sea Diver
Sparkys6887

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks Sir Sid. Sounds great and from a German point of view will be an interesting twist.
Back to top Go down
SJ7
Painted Head
SJ7

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 1:06 pm

"The Big Show",written by Pierre Closterman.Closterman was a Free French fighter pilot
serving in the RAF.He flew Hawker Tempests.I think he became an ace.Read the book
34 years ago,when I was in high school.

"First Light",written by Geoffrey Wellum.Wellum flew Spits during the Battle of Britain.

AMMO Book Club Frogman_avatar_1_zps527334a6
Back to top Go down
Sparklebudgie
Sabotage
Sparklebudgie

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Sparky try Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks.
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 pm

I like sven hassel books ww2 from a german persective ,sven actually served in the german army in world war two , most of his books are of a fictitious penal battalion in the war and have good characters !, sorry only half read the thread and have just seen sir sid's post.....like wot he says lol! lol! I believe that the legion of the damned was made into a film

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenAMMO Book Club G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: historical fiction   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 am

also historical fiction
3 books by Tim Severin
Titled Viking book 1 Odin's child
        Viking book 2 sworn brother
         Viking book 3 King's man
One mans journey from childhood to old age from Iceland to the Americas (Vinland ) the battle of Clontarf ,Russia and Constantinople as a Varangian guard to a life in a monastery , great set of books
any of the roman legionary series by Simon Scarrow,
and the Attilla series by William Napier    cheers cheers cheers

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenAMMO Book Club G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AMMO Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMMO Book Club   AMMO Book Club Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AMMO Book Club
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next