Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New computer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
inntruderr61

PostSubject: New computer   Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Hello all,

I had to order a new computer... This one still runs Vista and different websites
are no longer working as I can not update my browers anylonger. Plus this computer is wore out bigtime!
So gotta do it!

I'll actually miss this Vista... Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:
Hello all,

I had to order a new computer... This one still runs Vista and different websites
are no longer working as I can not update my browers anylonger. Plus this computer is wore out bigtime!
So gotta do it!

I'll actually miss this Vista...  Twisted Evil

Sounds like a good move JIm, windows 10 takes some getting used too, but it gets easier mate cheers

LIKE MY PHOTO'S, CHECK OUT MY FLICKR https://www.flickr.com/photos/116276346@N05/with/39426388644/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rage
Action Pilot

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Good Luck with it Jim! Very Happy

clivvers
BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Jim,

I loved Vista, it was very hard for me to let my Vista operating system go back in April this year, I was forced to get Windows 10 for £99, it's ok once you tune it in for a bit more privacy. Is there any way of salvaging your old desktop PC? My one is now 10 years old, but I fully brought it up to Windows 10 standards and hopefully it will last another 10 years. Don't chuck the old computer yet, store it aside so it can be slightly upgraded in the future when you have a bit more cash, it's always wise to have a second PC on standby, check the minimum requirements to run Windows 10, I bet your old PC can run it perfectly. If only I could get my hands on your old PC, I would do a good cheap upgrade on it for you, I have loads of upgrade parts in my store cupboard waiting to feed life into any old PC tower that anyone dumps on me, I've lost count of how many spare graphics cards and DDR2 memory ram sticks I have lol!. How about starting with a new cheap keyboard and mouse controller, plus Windows 10 for around $99, plus Norton security for around $25. The latest Windows 10 can take up to 6 hours to download though Wink

Look for privacy guides for Windows 10 on the internet, but be very wary of youTube vids, some are fakes/jokes that ruin things for folks..

Good luck Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 pm

My new computer should be here in a few days then I'll have to set it up.
So I'll be using this one for awhile longer. This computer is also so slow and
keeps locking up all the time. One of the main reasons I do not get on here that much anymore.
Such a headache to use this thing a lot of time anymore.

This computer is shot Clivves...lol...Makes all kinds of noises, etc. etc.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:
My new computer should be here in a few days then I'll have to set it up.
So I'll be using this one for awhile longer. This computer is also so slow and
keeps locking up all the time. One of the main reasons I do not get on here that much anymore.
Such a headache to use this thing a lot of time anymore.

This computer is shot Clivves...lol...Makes all kinds of noises, etc. etc.

Noises normally come from a worn out power supply in old computers, try using a powerful dust blower inside all moving parts, dust can cause old pc's to overheat and they become noisy as the fans have to work harder to keep the PC cool... hoover the outside grills carefully, but NEVER EVER hoover inside a computer, the suction could suck up a small bridge connector... Lockups can be got rid of easily, I always start cleaning out an old computer with a free download of Norton Power Eraser first, then I clean/delete unwanted HDD files and system files (windows should auto tick the boxes that are safe to delete) type "clean" in Start, delete downloaded Internet Explorer files... I also stop unwanted programs form starting when the computer starts via typing "config", followed by a complete HDD defrag. Try uninstalling any old programs you don't use. If you have tons of photos stored then it's best to keep this low, try saving them onto a SD card or external USB flash drive.. Perhaps adding more memory inside will help a bit, but old DDR2 ram is hard to find and very expensive.. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your new computer, just be prepared for downloads that can take all day long, I'm on my 4th failed Windows 10 update, it's so annoying sometimes. Long live Vista & Windows 7.

PC Doctor clivvers @ 8 bit computing heaven 1982.

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:01 am

Thanks for tips Clivves BUT

Got a new computer today and its up & running... Very Happy

Windows 10 Pro... Now have to figure it out...Laughing

Much much much faster than my old one... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 am

inntruderr61 wrote:
Thanks for tips Clivves BUT

Got a new computer today and its up & running... Very Happy

Windows 10 Pro... Now have to figure it out...Laughing

Much much much faster than my old one... Very Happy

Awesome Jim! there's no stopping you now! Very Happy

LIKE MY PHOTO'S, CHECK OUT MY FLICKR https://www.flickr.com/photos/116276346@N05/with/39426388644/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Nice one Jim, sounds like your new PC has DDR3, or DDR4 memory speed. I've just managed to get the new Windows 10 Fall update downloaded and working after 7 hours of trying. I had to manually download it in the end, thank gawd it's now done. I always use a "local account" with Windows 10 and never a Microsoft account for better privacy Wink

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 pm

7 hours Clivves! bounce

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Jim,

I now go straight to this page (link below, software download page Windows 10) at Microsoft if I have any future download issues, the next big update won't be until about spring time 2018 I think? The normal Windows automatic update is ok for small minor updates, but when it's a biggie like the one in the link below, then it can't cope with it, so bookmark this link in case you ever get download issues:  www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10    Type in Cortana search box the following: about your PC : and it will tell you what version of Windows you are using, It should be: Version 1709 and: OS Build 16299.19 which is the latest version..

Even if you miss a big major update for a few months it's nothing to really worry about, you are still completely protected. I'm not sure if I should update my new Windows 8.1 desktop that's been waiting on the side-lines since March this year, it's far more powerful than the computer I'm using at the moment, it can do my photo calculations/resizing and upscaling the DPI in 2 seconds flat, and they are huge monster tiff file sizes, where as this computer can take like 10 seconds to do the same thing.

Clivvers :@ staples.co.uk is the best place to buy a new gadget, stuff Currys 2nd hand shop soiled, re-sealed boxes, electrical goods  Wink

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:49 pm

clivvers wrote:
Jim,

I now go straight to this page (link below, software download page Windows 10) at Microsoft if I have any future download issues, the next big update won't be until about spring time 2018 I think? The normal Windows automatic update is ok for small minor updates, but when it's a biggie like the one in the link below, then it can't cope with it, so bookmark this link in case you ever get download issues:  www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10    Type in Cortana search box the following: about your PC : and it will tell you what version of Windows you are using, It should be: Version 1709  and:  OS Build 16299.19  which is the latest version..

Even if you miss a big major update for a few months it's nothing to really worry about, you are still completely protected. I'm not sure if I should update my new Windows 8.1 desktop that's been waiting on the side-lines since March this year, it's far more powerful than the computer I'm using at the moment, it can do my photo calculations/resizing and upscaling the DPI in 2 seconds flat, and they are huge monster tiff file sizes, where as this computer can take like 10 seconds to do the same thing.

Clivvers :@ staples.co.uk is the best place to buy a new gadget, stuff Currys 2nd hand shop soiled, re-sealed boxes, electrical goods  Wink

This computer has Windows 10 PRO.... Does your advice still apply Clivves?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 am

Jim, you've made the right decision, welcome to the wonderful world of the Windows 10 users...

If you Have Windows 10 Pro I'm sure you will get top priority over standard 10 users for downloads, you will have encryption with that version as well. Microsoft are always adding improvements and new cool features to every major update, it's an ongoing affair, one of the newest cool features is Virtual Reality software that lets you explore a virtual world via your computer, one day the internet will be viewed via 3D goggles.. I'm sure you'll like Windows 10...

The only thing I didn't like about Windows 10 at the beginning was: it being complicated to use compared to Windows Vista and Windows 7, it takes quite some time to get comfortable with it, like for example.. most of the usual shortcuts are hidden away, you have to go looking for them to make shortcuts to the desktop area. I'm pleased that all my Vista/W7 photo editing and graphic design programs fully work on W10.. There's loads of helpful guides for W10 on the internet if you get stuck... Let me know what you think of W10 after 8 weeks of use  Smile

RIP Vista  Sad

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 am

clivvers wrote:
Jim, you've made the right decision, welcome to the wonderful world of the Windows 10 users...

If you Have Windows 10 Pro I'm sure you will get top priority over standard 10 users for downloads, you will have encryption with that version as well. Microsoft are always adding improvements and new cool features to every major update, it's an ongoing affair, one of the newest cool features is Virtual Reality software that lets you explore a virtual world via your computer, one day the internet will be viewed via 3D goggles.. I'm sure you'll like Windows 10...

The only thing I didn't like about Windows 10 at the beginning was: it being complicated to use compared to Windows Vista and Windows 7, it takes quite some time to get comfortable with it, like for example.. most of the usual shortcuts are hidden away, you have to go looking for them to make shortcuts to the desktop area. I'm pleased that all my Vista/W7 photo editing and graphic design programs fully work on W10.. There's loads of helpful guides for W10 on the internet if you get stuck... Let me know what you think of W10 after 8 weeks of use  Smile

RIP Vista  Sad

Yes I've noticed things are more hidden and you have to look & look...Some stuff I have to type into the search feature cause I could not find it... bounce

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 am

When you search in Cortana and it gets listed, try right clicking over the found item in the list to open the file location, then you can make a shortcut to the desktop Wink

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 am

clivvers wrote:
When you search in Cortana and it gets listed, try right clicking over the found item in the list to open the file location, then you can make a shortcut to the desktop Wink

Thanks! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gibri
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 am

Good luck with the new machine Jim!!!

Clive,

i have a notebook, HP, that I got a couple years ago, still seems new to me. It came with Win8, they were promoting Win10 and i kept putting it off. One day I woke up and had Win10. They got tired of waiting for me.

I also have two old desk top computers that i still use daily. One at the office and one in my hobby area. They are a little over 10 years old now and still run Windows XP. Shocked

There's a nice little independent hole-in-the-wall store here that fixes computer problems. They cloned my old machine on a new box. Still have all the old software, photos, music and everything works just like I expect it to. Cost a little over $100. labor and equipment included. The old machine still does everything I want it to do. If I have to do something that requires a new machine I have the notebook machine for that.

cheers cheers cheers

Clive, I also was thinking of you recently when i had to clean up the old TV cabinet/media center. Some of those game consoles haven't been used for years, bad VHS players, DVD players...guitar hero...some microphone singing game...playstation, playstation 2, Wii, hand held controllers...wires...wires

I totally streamlined everything. All I have now is a DVD/Netflix player, Satellite receiver and TV

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:35 pm

gibri wrote:

Clive,

i have a notebook, HP, that I got a couple years ago, still seems new to me. It came with Win8, they were promoting Win10 and i kept putting it off. One day I woke up and had Win10. They got tired of waiting for me.

I also have two old desk top computers that i still use daily. One at the office and one in my hobby area. They are a little over 10 years old now and still run Windows XP. Shocked

There's a nice little independent hole-in-the-wall store here that fixes computer problems. They cloned my old machine on a new box. Still have all the old software, photos, music and everything works just like I expect it to. Cost a little over $100. labor and equipment included. The old machine still does everything I want it to do. If I have to do something that requires a new machine I have the notebook machine for that.

cheers cheers cheers

Clive, I also was thinking of you recently when i had to clean up the old TV cabinet/media center. Some of those game consoles haven't been used for years, bad VHS players, DVD players...guitar hero...some microphone singing game...playstation, playstation 2, Wii, hand held controllers...wires...wires

I totally streamlined everything. All I have now is a DVD/Netflix player, Satellite receiver and TV

cheers cheers cheers

Bri,

Yes I remember how everyone loved XP, There are folks still using it.. I only used it for like a few months on a dying laptop. I've only just remembered the PC my sister gave me, I had totally forgot about it, it had Windows 98SE on it, a bit like XP. The way Micr*soft forced Windows 10 onto users is a bit suspicious to me, I just don't like being part of the massive data harvesting program that's going on right now and all of it sold to advertising companies so they can target us with brainwashing techniques. HP are a top brand, but a little expensive, their older machines were built to last, I'm using one right now, built in 2007. The good thing about Notepad/laptops is: they can be hooked up to the lounge room big TV screen via a mini HDMI socket for better viewing of films and stuff. Those small computer repair shops are brilliant, they usually sell really nice reconditioned computers at dirt cheap prices and know how to get old computers running like they are new again.

I managed to invent a cable tidy system inside my computer cabinet for my out of control spaghetti-wire, it includes elastic bands, bendable ( screw-in) hook/pegs and plenty of neatly wound wire loops. It sounds like you are sitting on a small fortune with all that classic electric gear, especially the Playstation 2, they will be sought after soon, just like vam/Joes were, a thorough good clean and a pop onto ebay might be the best thing to do? One day we will be wearing a holographic headband type device that can project the internet around us in real time, and all controlled by voice commands Wink

The future is bright, the future is MAM Wink

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm

gibri wrote:

Clive,

cheers cheers cheers

cheers cheers cheers

Thanks Bri! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:15 am

Jim,

How you getting along with windows 10 and the NSA's latest female digital agent: Cortana?

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: New computer   Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm

clivvers wrote:
Jim,

How you getting along with windows 10 and the NSA's latest female digital agent: Cortana?

Its working great Clivves! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New computer   

Back to top Go down

New computer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: