Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Christmas Thread:

Go down 
AuthorMessage
clivvers
BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

PostSubject: The Christmas Thread:   Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Get Them Classic Christmas Lights Whilst You Still Can!:

Are you a Incandescent Christmas light fan like me? You know the ones, they are the Christmas lights that contain push-in or screw-in filament bulbs, some sets used to come with plastic molded flower petal shapes. What I like about the classic Incandescent bulb is the warm glow, the new LED lights just can't produce the same type of classic glow, they are often far too bright to look at. I still have some old 1960's and 1970's Christmas light sets, including my Grandad's old Pine-cone light set with screw-in C7 size bulbs, they still work after all these years, but they get quite hot, so need to be strategically hung from small brass/gold hooks away from a wall so they don't scorch the wallpaper, I suppose they are a family Heirloom... I'm waiting for the new screw-in replacement (safe) LED bulbs to be on sale in the UK so I can upgrade them to be much safer, then I can use these old lights again without worry of them overheating and scorching the wall. There's new Retro-fit LED bulbs available in the USA at the moment, hopefully they will be available over here in the UK soon... In the USA they have a massive range of new LED lights to suit everyone's taste, I just hope the UK catches up soon and that the light designers incorporate a light dimmer function in all future LED sets...

Strategic Christmas light buying:

So, if you like the old style Christmas bulb lights like me, then why not buy them whilst you still can, at the moment they appear to be available in Argos under the "Super Value Range" @ £2.49 a 80 light set.. here's a tip to save money on spare bulbs, because these Argos sets are so cheap, it's wise to buy at least 5 or more sets and use 4 of the sets for bulb spares to keep 1 set going for many years, it's better to do this than buy packets of 5 replacement bulbs, which are almost impossible to find these days, it works out a lot cheaper... 5 sets @ £2.49 each= £12.45, you can go for 10 sets @ = £24.90, these should keep 1 set going for a lifetime, but you will also need a good stash of inexpensive fuse bulbs, I think about 20 should do, at this price it's about the same price of a new LED light set, only do this if you are a die hard fan of Incandescent Christmas lights like me. At he moment Argos are doing a "3 for 2" offer!!!!:  www.argos.co.uk/product/2699172

The classic Incandescent Christmas light bulb:

I highly recommend these following sets for Incandescent fans, but buy at least 2 sets and use one set for spares to save money on buying replacement bulbs:

www.ukchristmasworld.com/products/40-canterbury-belles-indoor-fairy-christmas-lights.html

www.ukchristmasworld.com/products/40-pickwick-indoor-fairy-christmas-lights-multi-coloured.html

https://grovesnurseries.co.uk/christmas-lights/noma-40-caterbury-belles-christmas-lights  and: https://grovesnurseries.co.uk/christmas-lights/noma-40-pickwick-christmas-tree-lights  plus get some more fuse bulbs from: www.nomadirect.co.uk/

I do have LED lights, but were chosen very carefully, my recent set looks just like classic style Christmas lights and are from this place, they are highly recommended, they are not too bright once strung out evenly: www.therange.co.uk/christmas/christmas-lights/indoor-christmas-light/indoor-string-lights/100-led-spike-star-light-chain/#170441 This place is brilliant, you have to pay for the express next day delivery at about £5.99, but it's worth it. These LED lights above are the nearest I can get to being like the old classics, but with the new LED bulbs.

Please feel free to post photos your Christmas tree, decorations and lights here in the run up to Christmas, I look forward to seeing what displays you have, I hope to get some photos posted here of my set up nearer Christmas time bounce

Last edited by clivvers on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I use the old style Christmas lights like you picture also.. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gunner Munro
Heavy Weapons

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi Guys

I go with the - keep one set going as long as possible and then replace when break down - I like the "twinkle" effect of 'dim' white lights .

Will post a picture when I get the tree up ( quite late in Gunners house about 22/23rd Dec )

I wonder if Mrs Gunner will have a Action Man size pressie under the Xmas tree for me ?? lol! lol! -

Gunner

PS don't hold your breath - conversation in the car last weekend "I don't get it- I just don't get it ...(sigh) ...plastic dolls .. why do you need so many??... why are they in boxes ....etc etc lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for clivvers MAM nation"

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 am

Nice one Jim, I thought i was one of the last of the old timers. I have a couple of 1970's light sets that need restoring, I need to find a couple of plastic flower petals that surround a few bulbs, ebay will be the best place to start looking, the particular lights have seen some right Cockney Christmas knees ups over the last 40+ years lol! I am probably one of the rare kind that still pins up those classic Christmas decorations across the ceiling with drawing pins, i wonder if anyone else still does?

Gunner,

Warm white Christmas lights are nice, kind of a clean look on a real Christmas tree. I'm going to use a flash bulb on my lantern set to make the bulbs last a bit longer. I look forward to seeing some photos of your Christmas set up. As for plastic action dolls (lol) well, it's an addiction, remember years ago they moaned about us drinking too much down the pub, and now they moan about us having too many man toys, we can't win! lol!

Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:50 am

cheers santa cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gunner Munro
Heavy Weapons

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:03 pm

OMG JIM !!

Those are awesome shots cheers cheers

I'd never get that past Mrs Gunner lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Gunner Munro wrote:
OMG JIM  !!

Those are awesome shots cheers cheers

I'd never get that past Mrs Gunner lol! lol! lol!

lol! lol! @ Steve, yeah same here cheers . Nice one Bri bounce bounce

LIKE MY PHOTO'S, CHECK OUT MY FLICKR https://www.flickr.com/photos/116276346@N05/with/39426388644/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I remember that comic strip Bri, nice to see it again, the Christmas Joe decorations and green lights look nice Cool

There'll be a MAM at the top of my tree this year cheers

Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Superb pics Bri! cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clivvers
BULLET MAN

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Again, get them classic incandescent Christmas lights whilst you still can, because the green party have played a major part in stopping production of them, apparently by using LED lights instead of the classics it will save this planet (yeah right!) getting rid of cars would do much more (lol). I am not keen on LED Christmas lights (Star Wars glow) and have stashed plenty of vintage sets and back up bulbs away to last me a lifetime, so I can still enjoy a vintage style Christmas. I've even got a vintage light set from the 1950's that are still going strong, I loosely collect old Christmas tree lights and decorations, some of my baubles date back to the 1960's, including glass and plastic ones...

Why not do Christmas in style this year, Marks & Spencer (M&S) do some beautiful traditional style glass baubles, especially the red and green ones, i know they are a bit expensive but should last a lifetime if carefully looked after:

www.marksandspencer.com/l/christmas/christmas-decorations-and-christmas-trees/baubles-and-christmas-tree-decorations

Here's some nice baubles from ChristmasTimeUK, scroll through to see some lovely designs: https://www.christmastimeuk.com/themes08.php?page=1&category=Glass-Baubles&cat=1020101

One thing i have noticed about Mr Kipling Mice pies this year is: they are avoiding using the word Christmas on their Mince pie boxes, I've only just noticed it, how long has the Christmas word been emitted from them?

"That's the wonder of Woolies"... Here's a great Christmas article (god bless her):

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2867829/Still-glowing-strong-45-year-old-fairy-lights-Pensioner-change-one-bulb-bought-set-Woolworths-1969.html

More Christmas talk to come as it gets nearer...

Last edited by clivvers on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm

clivvers wrote:
Again, get them classic incandescent Christmas lights whilst you still can, because the green party have played a major part in stopping production of them, apparently by using LED lights instead of the classics it will save this planet (yeah right!) getting rid of cars would do much more (lol). I am not keen on LED Christmas lights (Star Wars glow) and have stashed plenty of vintage sets and back up bulbs away to last me a lifetime, so I can still enjoy a vintage style Christmas. I've even got a vintage light set from the 1950's that are still going strong, I loosely collect old Christmas tree lights and decorations, some of my baubles date back to the 1960's, including glass and plastic ones...

Why not do Christmas in style this year, Marks & Spencer (M&S) do some beautiful traditional style glass baubles, especially the red and green ones, i know they are a bit expensive but should last a lifetime if carefully looked after:

www.marksandspencer.com/l/christmas/christmas-decorations-and-christmas-trees/baubles-and-christmas-tree-decorations

Here's some nice baubles from ChristmasTimeUK, scroll through to see some lovely designs: https://www.christmastimeuk.com/themes08.php?page=1&category=Glass-Baubles&cat=1020101

One thing i have noticed about Mr Kipling Mice pies this year is: they are avoiding using the word Christmas on their Mince pie boxes, I've only just noticed it, how long has the Christmas word been emitted from them?

"That's Wonder of Woolworths"... Here's a great Christmas article (god bless her):

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2867829/Still-glowing-strong-45-year-old-fairy-lights-Pensioner-change-one-bulb-bought-set-Woolworths-1969.html

More Christmas talk to come as it gets nearer...

Cool stuff Clivves! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Thread:   

Back to top Go down

The Christmas Thread:
Page 1 of 1