Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SCU_HQ
Flock Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:18 am

1998 Classic Collection: Hollywood Heroes Bob Hope figure.

Wait... whaaaat??? Bob "Ol' Ski Nose" Hope, the comedian and actor, as a GI Joe figure???

I stumbled across a mention of this figure on Flickr last week, and of course I had to have one, because, like... Bob Hope as a GI Joe?

That is, I had to have one... if the price was reasonable.

As of this posting (September 2018) these twenty year old figures are fairly common on eBay, at least in the U.S. Prices vary widely, with asking prices starting at USD $25 to USD $30 including shipping for boxed examples, and ranging up to $50 to $60.

Box - Front Panel and Interior Box with Figure

Box - Front Panel

Box - Back Panel

Box - Hollywood Heroes logo

Box – Interior Flap

Box – End Panel – Contents List

Figure Detail – Faux-Leather Flight Jacket & Pith Helmet

Maybe ol' Bob should have been cast as Indiana Jones!

I found it odd that this figure, clearly indicated as being a GI Joe, was marketed under the Kenner, rather than the Hasbro, brand. A bit of research indicated that Kenner, the company that produced the original Star Wars action figures in the 1970s, was acquired by Hasbro in 1991, and the Kenner name was phased out in 2000. Between 1995 and 2000, Hasbro marketed GI Joe under the Kenner, rather than the Hasbro, brand.

My question is... WHY??? Why did Hasbro basically dump GI Joe into an already failing line? Were they trying to "save" Kenner? Or were they attempting to finish off GI Joe once and for all? I don't know. It seems very strange, and more than a little disappointing, to me that Hasbro unceremoniously abandoned GI Joe, the product line that turned them from a small regional Rhode Island company into a household name and a major player in the toy industry, pulling the Hasbro name off the toy that made them famous.

Does HASBRO Really Care? NOT A CHANCE!

I had a number of pre-Star Wars Kenner toys when I was a kid, including an Easy-Show Projector and a Spirograph. As sad to me as the "dissing" of GI Joe by Hasbro is their acquisition and destruction of the historic Kenner company.

The Bob Hope figure appears to be the first and the last of the "GI Joe: Hollywood Heroes" line. My impression, gleaned from this one figure, is that Hasbro/Kenner may have planned an entire series of figures based on Hollywood celebrities who contributed to the war effort over the years. Why did the line never materialize? Licensing issues? The general decline in interest in GI Joe and 12-inch action figures? Did the Bob Hope figure sell much more poorly than expected? I'd be curious to know the full scoop behind "Hollywood Heroes."

The figure itself features a surprisingly realistic head sculpt for a "playline" figure, and genuinely resembles "Old Ski Nose" himself in his younger, WWII-era years, when he was entertaining the troops both at home and overseas, including in combat areas. The body, being a standard Joe body of the mid-1990s era, is considerably more muscular than Bob Hope was, although I doubt he would have minded being upgraded with a flattering "Schwarzenegger" physique. Wink The khaki uniform is made of a heavyweight, high-quality fabric with plenty of pockets and buttons and overall excellent construction. The molded plastic boots and pith helmet are nicely detailed, although the helmet is slightly too large so the fit on the head is very loose. The faux-leather vinyl flight jacket is extremely detailed, with a black fabric liner, shoulder epaulettes, and knitted cuffs. Other than the uniform, jacket, and hat, the figure does not include any additional accessories.

Discovering that this figure exists was a surprise. Finding the figure at an affordable price was also a surprise, although perhaps it shouldn't have been. By the time this figure was released in 1998, the 95-year old Hope was retired, and his once-famous refrain of "Thanks for the Memory" was already being forgotten. The fifty year anniversaries of the D-Day Invasion and the end of World War Two were already "old news," and interest in 12-inch action figures was in steep decline. Perhaps these factors contributed to so many of these figures remaining available twenty years after their release in mint-in-box condition.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blondeactionman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 am

What a great figure! and now SHU_HQ will neve be short of a giggle or two! what a great addition bounce bounce bounce bounce

LIKE MY PHOTO'S, CHECK OUT MY FLICKR https://www.flickr.com/photos/116276346@N05/with/39426388644/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCU_HQ
Flock Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:33 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
What a great figure!

I was surprised that a search of the forum does not turn up any mentions of this figure. It must either have not received very wide distribution (although it seems common enough on eBay), or else it simply isn't very popular. Does anyone else here have the Bob Hope GI Joe?

gibri
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCU_HQ
Flock Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm

gibri, that is fantastic! I can hear Hope's style and pacing in my head through your captioning!

Are those lines from an actual Bob Hope routine, or were you a writer for him in a previous life? They're spot-on!

I love it that you actually constructed a navy ship backdrop for the audience scenes! Look at those guys! What a great assortment of navy and marines, and even some merchant marine sailors!

gibri
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
gibri, that is fantastic! I can hear Hope's style and pacing in my head through your captioning!

Are those lines from an actual Bob Hope routine, or were you a writer for him in a previous life? They're spot-on!

I love it that you actually constructed a navy ship backdrop for the audience scenes! Look at those guys! What a great assortment of navy and marines, and even some merchant marine sailors!

Thanks Dave!

This is from a much larger comic i did a few years ago called "Pacific Story". All the jokes were originally done by Bob Hope. I found a lot of the material on line. You may recognize the song from South Pacific. That is just the last part, i actually did the whole song in comic form. It seemed necessary to segue into Bob Hope's routine.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCU_HQ
Flock Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:01 pm

gibri wrote:
This is from a much larger comic i did a few years ago called "Pacific Story".

Is "Pacific Story" posted on the forum?

(EDIT: Oh! I see you've re-posted it! Gotta check that out! Looks impressive!)

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope   

Back to top Go down

1998 Classic Collection – Hollywood Heroes – Bob Hope
Page 1 of 1