ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
gibri
Admin
gibri

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2019 12:57 pm

I never watched the last two seasons.

someday...

I must say, sometimes I found it really hard to watch. At other times I found it very compelling and often found myself thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
Prof Gangrene Fan
Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Just watched captain marvel on dvd with my dad. I thought captain marvel had a complicated beginning and I thought some of the fighting scenes were to long.

Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 1:41 pm

I’m sitting in the cinema waiting to watch spies in disguise. I’v been really looking forward to seeing this movie so let’s hope I’m not disappointed after watching it. It’s the last movie I’ll be seeing in 2019.

Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 4:06 pm

I really enjoyed watching spies in disguise and it was also a very funny movie.

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Currently watching the 2013 BBC production of "Atlantis". First Series was a little corny, Second one better but the show was unfortunately cancelled before Season Three, which was going to take inspiration from Homer's "The Odyssey".

Kind of a mash-up of Ancient Greek mythology with many of the monsters and characters, (Medusa, Cyclops, Charon, skeletons arising from sown dragon's teeth, Oracles, evil sorceresses etc.), but the male lead Jason appears to be a combination of all the Greek heroes rolled into one.
The effects are not too bad really, as is the staging of the many sword fights but there are more than a few holes in the plot.
Still, if you like anything set in vaguely "ancient" times , this is a sword and sandal kind of guilty pleasure.
(Although I have no idea why wardrobe has chosen to clothe the men in baggy pyjama trousers when everything else is of Ancient Greek design. They all look more medieval, particularly as all the women swan around in fancifully draped Greek fashions.)

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 am

We just finished season 3 of The Crown. Though it lacked some of the punch of the first two seasons, but was still interesting and the new cast held up well.

Helena Bonham Carter was brilliant as she is always...
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
Green Beret
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 10:03 am

gibri wrote:
We just finished season 3 of The Crown.

My wife and I have just watched this too. It's been a great series. I have to admit I'm a fan of her Maj in real life. She always seems to have done her best to hold it all together while the rest of the family crash and burn.

The two shock revelations for me this season were Mountbatten's involvement in discussions about a coup d'etat and the Charles/Camilla/Anne/Parker-Bowles love quadrangle. I'd never heard of either before watching the show.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 1:43 am

somekindajoe wrote:
The two shock revelations for me this season were Mountbatten's involvement in discussions about a coup d'etat and the Charles/Camilla/Anne/Parker-Bowles love quadrangle. I'd never heard of either before watching the show.
Are yes, Parker-Bowles,....."the man who laid down his wife for his country"?

I do admire the Queen herself,  queen  ( a dinosaur now of course, but she's definitely in the "last of" category.)
As for the rest of 'em, it's hard to take to her much overly extended family of over-privileged twats and other assorted witless loonies, specially now that they are letting anyone in to "The Firm".

I'm hoping that upon the regretful death of HM, Australia will decide to go it alone and become a Republic. cheers

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 pm

I continue to watch the remastered series of X Files.
They have done a magnificent restoration no doubt, but the quality of the writing varies wildly between episodes.
Some episodes are just plain daft, others border on the idiotic, but every now and then there's one that really hits the mark.
I much prefer the alien themed instalments to the paranormal efforts, some of the latter coming perilously close to being pure corn.
Sometimes I wonder how Mulder & Scully managed to keep a straight face.

Special mention to Mitch Pileggi who played Skinner. His performances are always excellent.
Not only that but in high-def you can truly admire and appreciate the man's shirts! The ironing is invariably immaculate!
Nary a crease anywhere! lol!

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 pm

And the House of Windsor once again proves that reality will always outdo any fiction when it comes to drama!

So they're going to become "self-sufficient" eh?
Like pay rent, pay all their own staff, pay for all their own security, their fleet of expensive cars, their private jets (necessary for security you understand) their hotel bills, their meals...and even their own clothing? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Yeah.....right!

Welcome the new "Rent-a-Royals"!
The Firm is really going to the pack!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 11:56 pm

LeStryge wrote:
So they're going to become "self-sufficient" eh?

Razz I know, right: Megxit! The version I heard was that they were going to "transition to self-sufficiency." Considering their tastes and lifestyle, that could take a while, even on a movie star's income.

Which brings to mind a movie I watched on television a few nights ago: The Gold Diggers of 1933. Laughing

The opening song and dance sequence – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw – features Ginger Rogers, remembered today as the glamorously-gowned ballroom dance partner of Fred Astaire in a number of sophisticated musical comedy pictures, wearing nothing but a few strategically-draped faux-gold coins (this was a "pre-Code" film, so they could get away with some racy stuff) and singing the song We're In the Money... in Pig Latin! This was such an unexpected and surreal scene that I now have to count it among my favorite movie moments!

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 am

Ah yes "Gold Diggers of 1933" ....it's long been a guilty pleasure of mine too.

From the "racy" innuendo of "Pettin' in the Park" ( the sexy silhouette bit, the metal undergarments on the ladies, then a man turns up with a can-opener!), to the mesmerising "Shadow Waltz" where some of the cast and crew including Berkley received electric shocks during the filming due to the March 10th Long Beach earthquake that hit while this number was being filmed.
The poignancy and almost anti-war message of "Remember My Forgotten Man" could have been accused of Anti-American Sentiment back then!

The movie is froth and bubble on the surface but definitely has some serious undertones.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 5:36 am

LeStryge wrote:
Ah yes "Gold Diggers of 1933" ....it's long been a guilty pleasure of mine too... the metal undergarments on the ladies, then a man turns up with a can-opener!

Not just a man, but a midget (actor Billy Barty in a very early role) turns up with a can opener! This movie is off the charts gonzo!

I can't believe somebody else on this forum not only knows of this movie, but appreciates it, both for the froth and for the depth! Yup, definitely the right forum for me!

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 10:55 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
I can't believe somebody else on this forum not only knows of this movie, but appreciates it, both for the froth and for the depth! Yup, definitely the right forum for me!
And all before movies were destroyed by Political Correctness, Diversity,"Strong Female Roles", Gender Politics or Racial Quotas!

I simply cannot be bothered making the effort to go out and sit in a cinema to watch most of the movies released these days.
(And I AM a great movie fan!)
Now it's nothing more than being belted around the head with SJW Identity politics, .....or just mindlessly screened action comics where CGI is substituted for any real content.

Once upon a time movies started with a good script as the essential ingredient, but that component seems to be the last requirement now.

"Have we got a big "name"?
And a huge CGI budget?
Right then, let's start shooting!"

Admin
ActionYankee

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm

I started reading The Lord of the Rings last week.

If its good enough for Led Zeppelin, its good enough for me.

I'm liking it so far, still only in Fellowship, in the bit where our heroes are at The Prancing Pony. But as soon as I started, Tolkien had me. Pretty good sign if he can hold my attention whilst describing a birthday party. lol!

Want some GI Joe Adventure Team fun? Check out my Adventure Team Files Fan Site!
Back to top Go down
http://northernindependent.wixsite.com/n-i-films
LeStryge
Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 am

ActionYankee wrote:
I started reading The Lord of the Rings last week.But as soon as I started, Tolkien had me. Pretty good sign if he can hold my attention whilst describing a birthday party. lol!
Well unlike "The Hobbit" the trilogy is a ripping good read, ....AND it sure beats the hell out of watching the "Coronavirus Show" that's currently running 24/7 on EVERY damn channel!
Here our politicians both state and federal are locked in a battle to see who is game to go furthest in the "What Can I Close Down Next Competition?"

You know, before this little gift from China got loose, (recent history seems to show that epidemics seem to be their most successful exports) there were enough things happening in the world to fill a newshour. Every day!
What happened to all that stuff? Did it somehow just magically stop happening?
Even those earthquakes, floods or tornados ? What about the bombings? Heists? Wars even? Bizarre!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 1:15 am

LeStryge wrote:
....AND it sure beats the hell out of watching the "Coronavirus Show" that's currently running 24/7 on EVERY damn channel!
Here our politicians both state and federal are locked in a battle to see who is game to go furthest in the "What Can I Close Down Next Competition?"

What happened to all that stuff? ... Even those earthquakes, floods or tornados ? What about the bombings? Heists? Wars even? Bizarre!

I know, right? The People in Charge seem determined to PUNISH and DESTROY everybody's lives over this! Because THEY are not affected in the least, having fat public salaries.

There was an earthquake here in Utah last week, 5.7, knocked some pictures off walls and a section of an old brick wall on a 100 year old building collapesed in to the street. You would think, by the hysteria of the local coverage, that the Yellowstone Super-Volcano had erupted. They are still yammering on about the earthquake and the chances of an even bigger aftershock.

I finally finished reading the LOTR trilogy a couple of years ago. Took me nine months to slog through it. Most miserably boring thing I've ever read.
I won't share any spoilers until after Action Yankee finishes it, but... well, I'll stop there for now. Have fun with it, A-Y!

Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm

I’m giving a go a cartoon called Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors. I’m watching though the means of YouTube.

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 11:24 pm

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
I’m watching though the means of YouTube.
Probably the only place you can still find something/anything that isn't "The Coronavirus Show" Alex!

Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 12:36 pm

I’ve started to watch with dad Batwoman (TV series).

French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
I’ve started to watch with dad Batwoman (TV series).

I'm up to date..and so far I'm loving it cheers

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
Prof Gangrene Fan
Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 10:59 pm

Been watching all 65 episodes of Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors and finished the 65th episode tonight. I’m starting to watch another cartoon series called Star Blazers.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 1:34 am

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
Been watching all 65 episodes of Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors and finished the 65th episode tonight. I’m starting to watch another cartoon series called Star Blazers.

We're off to outer space
Protecting Mother Earth
To save the human race!

I haven't seen Star Blazers (aka "Space Battleship Yamato") in decades! It was the first anime series I ever saw... way back in the era when people called that style "Japanimation."

Green Beret
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 am

It's another Tuesday on lockdown and so there should be a new episode of 'Better call Saul' on tonight...but there isn't as season 5 ended last week! Sad

...and they don't even start filming season 6 until September! Evil or Very Mad

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Season Finale of The Curse of Oak Island tonight on The History Channel (here in the States, at least)!
Plus, an extra "Drilling Down" bonus episode featuring William "Captain Kirk" Shatner!

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next